Hey, how did you do your shopping this year?

BusynMember

How did you Christmas shop the most this year? Online? In person? Site to store? I did mostly online (favorite site is Amazon) and site-to-store form Walmart. I'm pretty much done. You?

Also, anyone traveling? We aren't exactly traveling until the 26th when Jumper, her very sweet boyfriend and I will visit Julie and Geoff in Chicago (and probably my dad and perhaps ex). Sonic and hubby both have to work that day so it's kind of the girls.

This is my first thread since the format change. I apologize if it's all messed up...lol :)

SuZir

I'm still middle of it. So huge last minute panic tomorrow and tonight (we have most shops closed at Sunday and I'm way too busy at Monday and Christmas Eve is the main day of our celebrations.) Some things online, rest from the stores and few from all kinds of Christmas markets. I like to see and touch what I'm buying and am too lazy to first look from the shop and then going to online to find the best deal.

We are kind of travelling for Christmas even though it is even later than you. difficult child can't come home for Christmas but husband and I are visiting him first weekend of January. Luckily he is not too far, just three hour plane ride away, so short visit can be done. We celebrate Christmas till Epiphany so it is more or less still a Christmas visit ;)

Lothlorien

Thread looks fine MWM!
90% to 95% of my shopping is done online. I even grocery shop online now. I did some shopping yesterday, because after going through and wrapping some stuff, I needed to go out and get a couple of things. I was wiped out from it. I really hate shopping. The only time I actually shop in the store is for clothing and some grocery shopping...or if I need something right away and cannot wait for it to ship.

Not traveling this year. I did that last year. Went on a trip to see my sis on the 22nd and came back on Christmas eve. Loved seeing my sis, but doubt I'd do that again.

donna723

I only bought ONE thing in a regular store this year and never once set foot in the actual mall! I exchange gifts with an out of state cousin who likes nice things and has a beautiful home so I went in the back door of a Macy's and found her some lovely Lenox china tea cups that I know she'll like ... 50% off! All the rest was bought online either from Amazon or Toys R Us. We'll be making the drive to Charleston again to spend the holiday with my daughter, sister in law and 4-1/2 year old grandson. Shopping for him was a lot easier this year. My daughter made him a "wish list" of things he said he wanted on the Toys R Us website and I just went through and clicked on several things, then had them sent directly to their house. And if I get very lucky, she will have all those presents from grandma wrapped by the time we get there!

LittleDudesMom

Done, done and done! My Christmas shopping was done a while back and I just put the last thing under the tree about 15 minutes ago! I would say I did 70% online, 25% was candy-making, and the last 5% was local.

easy child and I will do the holiday grocery shopping early tomorrow am. I have a nail appointment in about an hour and I have to do a major fridge clean out. I have to get in there and do some reorganization. easy child and I made candy all last Saturday and most of it is in little cellophane bags in my fridge! I have a sugar free Jimmy's cheesecake in there I have to slice up and freeze….gotta make room for some more things to come!

I have to work on Monday - unfortunately people want to get a paycheck next week - but I'll be off the rest of the week.

No traveling this year. The kids and I are going to our favorite organic burger joint on Christmas Eve for a late lunch and then to the theater to see Anchor Man! Christmas Day I'll have a little light spread out as my mother in law will come by and bonehead and his wife as well. Around noon the kids and I will have our big Christmas meal, Christmas brunch. Some friends will drop by Christmas Eve and Christmas night and I will just put out some light muchies.

Friday I have family coming in as my birthday is Saturday and we are going to make a weekend of it! I will have a party/dinner Saturday night (we will send out for Thai food) and can't wait to see my baby sis! Company will leave Sunday after we go down to our restaurant for Sunday brunch and it will be a quiet week with reduced work hours and days.

I'm ready - bring it on!

tiredmommy

I did a mishmash of online, local shops and department store/mall shops. I'm really proud of two gifts: I got a Black Friday deal at Lowes by ordering online late on Thanksgiving evening (after 11PM) and picked it up in store Friday afternoon. Then, I ordered an item the same night from Kirklands: half off $250 plus 20% off = $100 with free shipping to our local store. :)

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Thanks MWM, your post looks great! No worries.

I did a lot online, some stores, maybe 30%.......I live in a small town with no malls or big chain stores so doing that requires driving at least 40 minutes. Nice small shops here though.

Everything seemed a lot easier and more relaxed this year............although I do believe that was ME!

I'm working Monday but then off.........Christmas Eve spent with family, Christmas Day with family and friends...........

No travel plans now, but in January going south to visit potential college area for granddaughter for a few days. Right on the ocean, a gorgeous town so that'll be enjoyable.

Can't wait for Christmas morning, I'm excited!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
two online. no other choice, only way to get the items.
the rest in store........in 2 days. I don't recommend it, however, I do have to say I got some wonderful deals shopping on Thanksgiving.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Mine was all over the place, a little here and a little there. I didn't actually buy anything during my one trip to the mall except Rose's picture with Santa... Which was the whole point of going.

I'm still looking for one last thing for my Dad. I know what I want, it's just FINDING the darned thing.

Tiapet

Old Hand
I did a most online, a little in stores here and there but not much. Most of it was for stocking items. No travel plans, no where to go! Besides, we did the trip for Thanksgiving. Hopefully it will be a very low key and peaceful Christmas. I think the kids will be very well occupied so then it will be peaceful. I don't even think they are going to argue with each other as they will be "each in their own worlds". LOL

I'm so darn tired now though. Seems it's been hurry hurry that last several weeks and as of yesterday/last night it all caught up in a major way. My body felt it and really collapsed badly. Not only with every available type of pain but I was sitting up in bed about to take my night medication and apparently I never even got to taking it. I literally passed out sitting up and stayed like that all night long until the alarm went off this morning! Talk about double ouch! Kind of freaked me out though to wake up like that and realize what had happened but let me know clearly that I have been over doing it these past several weeks.

Hope everyone else has a safe, happy, PEACEFUL holiday! :)

I got everything online. I got some great deals, I really didn't go overboard. Kohls, Victorias Secret and Bath and body Works (in the store). I used some Kohls cash and purchased myself a 15 piece set of Rachael Ray pots for 1/2 price plus 30% off...my present to myself.
I am not going anywhere, we're not talking to husband's one brother and his entire family decided I am just a liar. If you remember, the brother was drunk and did something out of character to me when husband was not looking. He was drunk, I forgave him, husband did not. The brother knows what he did. The whole family says I lie and husband is dumb for believing me. So, uh....no we are absolutely feeling free...no gift buying for any of them and we are eating Chinese food, or something else, and going to the movies. It's gonna be peaceful. Christmas day is always a ham and a big meal. I am so happy not to have company, hooray for husband's family drama!

witzend

I bought husband's big stuff online, and then picked up a few small things while doing regular shopping last week. mother in law got a money order, M is getting retreads on his car, and that's it. Easy peasy. I'm excited for husband to open his gifts, and hope that he likes them. I hope that he got me something other than the two very specific things that I asked for, but I'll live if he doesn't. It would probably be better for him to not get me something else than to give me a frying pan or a filing cabinet or something similar again.

Californiablonde

This year was much, much easier thanks to getting my child support early. What a pleasant surprise. Normally I have no choice but to do all my shopping last minute with my December 20th paycheck. This year I got child support on the 1st of this month which allowed me to do everything early for once. What's even better is I was able to do most of it online. I get horrible, terrible panic attacks in crowded stores, and I'm used to freaking out every year when I do my Christmas shopping.

One year I had to leave my full cart in the middle of Walmart and leave the store because my panic attack was so overwhelming. It is such a relief to have most of my shopping done already. I got difficult child's gifts all online and they have already been delivered. I did have to go to Gamestop to get easy child the newest video game he wanted, but it's a small store and it wasn't too crowded, thank goodness. All I have left to do is buy a few stocking stuffers at Target and then I'm done. This year is much less stressful than previous years.

DammitJanet

Mine was probably 3/4ths online and the rest in person. What is really horribly bad is that when I bought all the stuff from eBay in September, I didnt open the boxes and separate the stuff into who gets what. Thats what I am doing today. I am so darned lost! I have to attempt to set up a dozen or more Fisher Price sets to see what goes with what. Sigh. I keep saying I am just giving cash...Im an idiot.

KTMom91

I did my shopping in store, but I always start early so Black Friday (or Thursday night) is just for finishing up and people watching. I got several things from a local buy/sell page on FB...a Hello Kitty waffle iron for Miss KT, and a 4 1/2 foot tall stuffed giraffe for Maddie. Son #2 and K are in the process of moving so I'm sure they'll be thrilled with the giraffe right now...LOL.

No traveling; everyone but Miss KT is in town. She had to work and couldn't get the time off to come down. We spend Christmas Eve with Hubby's family and Christmas Day with my mom and brother and family. Not really looking forward to Christmas Day as my brother and his wife are perfect and are kind of boring, but it's only once a year.

BusynMember

Boy, KTsMom, you brought up a BIG issue with my family. Work complicates schedules and when we can even get together. Julie works the day we are going to be first hitting Chicago. She is off the next two days. Jumper has to get back Saturday though because SHE has to work! J. her boyfriend has a basketball game he day after. And he is coming with. Tom and Sonic and Julies SO Geoff have to all work the day after Christmas so the only one who will be there is Geoff and he will be tired from work. Still, we are waiting until the evening to exchange presents and eat a good meal with him. Geoff's mom works that day too so...ditto for her. My ex usually comes and he should be able to do it because he retired this year.

Scheduling holidays is not easy!

We do celebrate on Christmas Eve and Christmas day with just the four of us...Tom, me, Sonic and jumper. It is always fun and STRESS FREE!!!!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Our Christmas shopping is done. I have to say I am blessed that my husband does most of the shopping and he does most of it on-line. I do some on-line and at the stores but as I said he does the bulk of it. I just get too exhausted trying to do the shopping and work full time. I think with my Addison's I can only take so much. This week I had to actually go out shopping and it just wore me out.

However, we are now off for two weeks:) As for traveling, we are driving to Green Bay tomorrow to help Mom with more packing and for New Year's Eve we will be at my niece's in Michigan playing games. Mostly over the next two weeks I plan to relax!!

trinityroyal

Interesting question MWM. I've never really given it much thought before. husband and I shop all year, in dribs and drabs. If we see something that would make a good birthday or Christmas gift for someone, we get it and tuck it away in our Christmas closed (in the bowels of the basement, where the children can't find it -- and don't even know of it's existence). Most of our shopping is done online, but we get a few things in "bricks and mortar" stores too.

Oh darn, husband's other brother and my father in law decided the drunken brother was lying so....now we are invited. Isn't that special? It's ok, I'll bring the wine.