hey, if you guys get an email from fed ex

DammitJanet

its a virus. I just got an email from Fed ex saying they couldnt deliver a package to my house and to contact the fedex office to arrange pick up. It even gave a tracking number to click on to go the site and see.

Odd thing was I was expecting a package though I was expecting it through UPS but occasionally they will use Fed Ex when busy. Has happened to me before. But this time it was a scam. I clicked on the tracking code and and up popped my virus software saving my computer!

T

TeDo

Glad you have good antivirus software. I don't know that I've ever dealt with FedEx but I will keep an eye out since I am expecting a package through UPS.

Thanks for the heads up.

DammitJanet

Sometimes UPS does use FedEx which I never would have expected, or maybe it is the company that a consumer buys from and says that they are using UPS sends the product FedEx. Dont quite know. All I know is that I bought a product on Amazon recently and it said that it was coming UPS ground. When it didnt arrive about the time it should have, I checked the shopping cart and it said it had been sent FedEx and it had been delivered at 8pm the night before. Yeah right. No it hadnt. So I called FedEx and the company. Next thing I know, here it comes on UPS and they said sometimes they do use Fedex.

donna723

I got one just like that a few days ago. But it was in my spam folder and I wasn't expecting anything on FedEx so I just deleted it. Very glad I did now!

jal

Add the us postal service to that list too. Well I felt like an idiot. Never had I had a problem. Last weekend I opened an email from the USPS (US postal svc) not realizing this was a virus. My virus software popped up, but somehow it got through and wiped my hard drive out. Needless to say, I am now on my brand new computer. I never in the past would have opened it, but I have purchased postage several times and shipped electronically from them this year.

bby31288

Just a reminder to never click on a link. If you are not sure you are expecting something. Open a new window and go to that website then enter the tracking number. I am always yelling at my husband for this. It must be PTSD!!! Even if my sister emails me and it contains a link I will call her and say....did you send me something with a link? LOL...It is crazy how these viruses can just pop up anywhere. Someone was saying you need antivirus for your smart-phones. Has anyone else heard that?

DDD

OK...I know this sounds extreme. But I am getting paranoid about emails. I receive emails from AOL (yes, with AOL in the address) that are not from AOL. I get emails from Paypal. I have only used that service maybe twice in my life...I don't open them. I receive emails from American Express. Hmmm...yes, I do have an account but we don't email each other. For you old timers I received an email or two this week from Aleishaleigh ?? and I don't open them because I don't know if that is "our" Aleishaleigh or not. Truly I have gotten to the point where "if in doubt.delete" and I may be missing important emails. If the email is not from someone or some group that I have absolute confidence if "for real" I'm deleting it....and it's getting ridiculous. DDD

DammitJanet

Im rarely opening emails either unless I email them first. I only opened this one because I was expecting a package. And it wasnt in my spam folder. My spam folder doesnt work well. It grabs things it shouldnt and misses things it should.

donna723

I'm another one that is paranoid about emails too. I NEVER open anything in the spam folder and quite a bit of what's in the inbox either. I've gotten some that looked like they were from friends that weren't. I got one that claimed to be from the IRS. I've gotten some that supposedly were from the manufacturer of my computer. I've even gotten some that claimed to be from ME! I'm so paranoid that just yesterday I deleted all the pictures from a class reunion that a friend had sent to me ... it just didn't sound like her so I didn't open the email. And when she messaged me on Facebook to ask if I had gotten them, I said "No I didn't. Can you send them to me again?"

InsaneCdn

I'm so paranoid that just yesterday I deleted all the pictures from a class reunion that a friend had sent to me ... it just didn't sound like her so I didn't open the email. And when she messaged me on Facebook to ask if I had gotten them,

Set up a folder in your email system for "questionable" stuff.
If its obviously not stuff I want, its direct delete, but things like this one would have gone into "questionable" for about 2 weeks. Usually, if you haven't responded in that timeframe, the real person will be contacting you to see if you got it... in which case, you can go move it back to inbox and process. Every week or so, you go in there and delete anything older than 2 weeks.

Saves having to ask for re-sends of legitimate stuff.