Hi All!

susiestar

Roll With It
I went to the doctor on the 7th, and she sent me straight out of the office to the hospital. I had developed cellulitis in my leg they cultured the blood and part of a scab that came off one of the sores, and found that it was VERY good that I went to the doctor when I did. The infection turned out to be both staph AND necrotizing fascitis!!!

I was TOTALLY blessed in that neither was a medication resistant strain. I was put on IV antibiotics. I had an allergic reaction to one of them (NOT a fun experience) and that was stopped with benedryl. but the very next morning my leg looked better.

They took a sharpie and drew a line all around the infection so that they could see if it grew or not. The doctor was WOWED! the next am that the infections responded so well. The talked about sending me home on IV antibiotics. But they wanted to keep me until they finished culturing.

After the culturing, they learned the infections responded to oral antibiotics, so they had me stay another night to make sure things responded, and took out the IV line. It was actually a PICT line, and went up my arm about 2 feet. This was because they couldn't get a reg IV line started when I went in. This line let them take blood out for all the lab work, and also put in the 12 different doses of antibiotics.

So it has been a tough few days, but I am feeling much better now.

My parents have been incredibly worried, and they insisted on having me go to a hotel for a night and my mom spent most of the day at my house cleaning. Things have gotten SO far behind over the last year that I pretty much don't function, and neither does the household much. anyway, My aunt is flying in from Ohio to help out, and my mom will be in to help me over the next week or 3. I am on regular activity, but still have the other issues and will have limited function.

but I AM feeling SO MUCH better and better than I have in several months.

I missed you all, and was thinking of you, and really appreciate all your thoughts and prayers!

Wiped Out

Staff member
OMG, I am so glad you are o.k. What a terrible experience. Glad to hear you are feeling better than you have in months.

tiredmommy

Wow! Thank goodness you are okay!!!

Now 'lil Missy, here's the hard part: follow your doctor's orders and accept your mom and aunt's help.

klmno

OMG Susie, I'm so sorry to hear you have gone through all of that. I'm glad they found it and treated it and that your parents have been there and helped, but geez....what a nightmare. I bet you were scared to death....I have wondered where you were and thought maybe you were just taking a break with the holidays and all...I'm glad you are back and filled us in and I hope the road to recovery continues with you feeling better every day!!

M

ML

OMG Sus! Thank goodness the infection responded. I'm glad your family is helping out and hopefully you can rest and get better. ML

Jena

That explains where you were!!! Sheesh. When you have something happen you really have something happen!! :)

I'm so glad you got it taken care of, and you are on the mend. Pretty scary!! Yea follow directions, do what you gotta do!!

(((Hugs))))

Lothlorien

You are very fortunate that they caught it when they did AND that it responded so well to antibiotics. Take care of yourself and get plenty of rest.

Estherfromjerusalem

Susie,

Thanks heavens you went to the ER and thank heavens that you got such good treatment. Great that the family is rallying round -- you certainly need that help now.

Look after yourself. Sending you a big hug,

Love, Esther

house of cards

I'm so glad you went to the doctor with the leg sores,I'm glad they responded quickly to the medications...gotta love those antibiotics! Hope you are feeling much better and enjoy an ordered house when you return, wish someone would come fix mine, but not enough to get as sick as you did, take care.

TerryJ2

Well,

HECK!

I am so glad it was caught early and that you could handle the antibiotics.

I am well aware of the power of Sharpie markers. Low tech solution for many things, incl. breast cancer radioactive dyes to position markers.

But, I digress.

You sound so upbeat!

Your family sounds very supportive. I'm glad your mom cleaned your house! It's great therapy--gives her something constructive to do instead of giving herself an ulcer. Way To Go!
I hope things go well with-your aunt.

Thank you for posting!!! :) :) :)

Last edited:

everywoman

I'm so glad you went to get checked. I know how stubborn we mother's can be when it comes to our own health. I'm also glad you are going to take it easy and let your mom and aunt help out. Please rest and get better soon.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
What a horrible ordeal! I am so glad you are going to be o.k. and that you did the right thing by getting this checked out. That's a very serious infection, and you are very lucky it was responsive to the antibiotics!

Take FULL advantage of your recuperative time and goodwill of others! Hope you're back on your feet soon :)

maril

Hey, glad you got to the hospital and they got things under control; scary, I am sure.

Sorry you had to go through all this and glad you are getting better every day! :whew:

Take care.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Glad it was brought under control fairly quickly and not have to go invasive.

You do sound really good considering :)

Marcie

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Glad you are feeling better and they found the right medications!...... You know your mom loves you when she will come over and clean........ Hope your good feelings last!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am finally home. I stayed at the hotel last night with Jessie, and thank you stayed with Grandma and Grandpa while husband was home with the animals. thank you just wanted another night with the G's and his big bro.

Mom was here cleaning again today, and will be back for a number of days. I will help with cleaning, and take breaks to rest so that the infection will completely go away. My aunt is coming in on Tuesday night, so we will see her on Wed.

There is a LOT to do here. It has been over a year since I was physically able to do much. As it is, even with feeling MUCH better, I will still be rather limited in what I can do. Physical problems stink. But family and friends are pretty great.

Thank you all so much for your prayers and good thoughts. You are great friends.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
The cleaning, etc. can wait. Your health can't. Your family needs you, so take it easy and enjoy the rest while you have willing and able helpers there to lend a hand!