T

TeDo

I am soooo glad things are going better. Sometimes it IS the little things that can make all the difference. I am happy you are moving in a healthy direction for all of you. As long as you keep in mind that it won't be all smooth sailing, there will be bumps or hiccups in the road, you will do fine. I am even happier to hear that you've come to realize there IS a good kid in there somewhere. You and he deserve that.

((((HUGS)))) to you ALL.

susiestar

Roll With It
Hi and welcome! First, please ignore the capitalization on my posts - my shift key is not working properly and it is driving me nuts. Second, sorry I came so late to this and didn't welcome you earlier! Third, please stick around!! You won't ever find a group that is more supportive, helpful, informative and less judgmental. There isn't one. I didn't think I would stick around when I joined and that was a loooooooong time ago!

You have so much going on. I agree that the boys need help, and that it is promising that the rewards are working. Just please don't think it is all over when the current system stops working in a short time. That is pretty much par for the course with kids like ours.

Others haven't mentioned some of our favorite books and ideas, so I will. First the books! (I'm a bookworm to the extreme, lol!)

The Explosive Child by Ross Greene - this is a book we recommend to everyone who joins us. IT is not traditional parenting and it will likely seem counter-ntuitive but it works with difficult children better than about anything. There is a thread on the early childhood forum of ths board about adapting it to work with kids under 5 and it may also have some ideas.

What Your Explosive Child is Trying to Tell You by Dr. Doug Riley - awesome book. Helps you figure out the why behind the rage/tantrum/meltdown, and you need that why to figure out how to stop the rages from happening. dr. R is great, and a member here, and he really worked to make this a book to help us help our kids. He doesn't post often, but if you search his name you can find the posts he made when the book came out and at other times. I think this and the explosive child should be mandatory for every teacher to read.

The Out of Sync Child and The out of sync child has fun - both by Kranowitz. These are about sensory integration/processing disorder. The first one describes it and the hterapies used and how they all work. The has fun book is packed with fun activities to provide the sensory diet that the chld needs in a fun way - and ideas to make the fun less expensive! in my opinion sensory issues are the most overlooked and the treatment is one of the best ways to reach a child and provide tools that the child can and will use to help himself. Plus they are usually enjoyable and that makes the child willing - which is not always the case with things any kid needs to do! Every kid I know, incl my husband, loves the activities in the has fun book.

These are a pretty good start. When you have more info on what teh problems are, there are other books we can recommend.

michelenicole

Hi and welcome! First, please ignore the capitalization on my posts - my shift key is not working properly and it is driving me nuts. Second, sorry I came so late to this and didn't welcome you earlier! Third, please stick around!! You won't ever find a group that is more supportive, helpful, informative and less judgmental. There isn't one. I didn't think I would stick around when I joined and that was a loooooooong time ago!

You have so much going on. I agree that the boys need help, and that it is promising that the rewards are working. Just please don't think it is all over when the current system stops working in a short time. That is pretty much par for the course with kids like ours.

Others haven't mentioned some of our favorite books and ideas, so I will. First the books! (I'm a bookworm to the extreme, lol!)

The Explosive Child by Ross Greene - this is a book we recommend to everyone who joins us. IT is not traditional parenting and it will likely seem counter-ntuitive but it works with difficult children better than about anything. There is a thread on the early childhood forum of ths board about adapting it to work with kids under 5 and it may also have some ideas.

What Your Explosive Child is Trying to Tell You by Dr. Doug Riley - awesome book. Helps you figure out the why behind the rage/tantrum/meltdown, and you need that why to figure out how to stop the rages from happening. dr. R is great, and a member here, and he really worked to make this a book to help us help our kids. He doesn't post often, but if you search his name you can find the posts he made when the book came out and at other times. I think this and the explosive child should be mandatory for every teacher to read.

The Out of Sync Child and The out of sync child has fun - both by Kranowitz. These are about sensory integration/processing disorder. The first one describes it and the hterapies used and how they all work. The has fun book is packed with fun activities to provide the sensory diet that the chld needs in a fun way - and ideas to make the fun less expensive! in my opinion sensory issues are the most overlooked and the treatment is one of the best ways to reach a child and provide tools that the child can and will use to help himself. Plus they are usually enjoyable and that makes the child willing - which is not always the case with things any kid needs to do! Every kid I know, incl my husband, loves the activities in the has fun book.

These are a pretty good start. When you have more info on what teh problems are, there are other books we can recommend.

Another friend of mine recommend the Out of Sync child books to me already, so that's great to hear a second time around!

I plan on checking those books out when school is finished. I have three more weeks before graduating with my bachelor's degree. I think knowing that school is almost over is also helping with the stress around the house. I already feel so accomplished I can hardly contain myself, haha.

Again, thanks to everyone. We had a little bit of a rough night tonight because I think we're all worn out! I'll probably frequent here more when school is finished. There's probably so much information here for me to browse that I haven't even looked at yet!

BusynMember

Michelle, I'm glad things are better. I have a really helpful book you can read. It explains children like this and how to help them. I read it in one sitting:

http://www.amazon.com/Parenting-Hurt-Child-Adoptive-Hollywood/dp/1600062903

Here's crossing my fingers and sending good wishes, but I still maintain that if you feel your child is unsafe, do what you have to do. But read this book firsts. It rocks and is all about kids like your stepchildren!

lovelyboy

I read through all the posts.......first I want to welcome you to plenty of other warior parents!
It's very interesting for me to see how every persons responds is coloured by their own experience.....
Please remember this as you read the replies.....that this is every single parents perception and experience....we all have different situations, for example the amount of emotional, physical and financial support we have....this all have a huge effect on how the advice will be applied and the future outcome......We need to be encourage by other peoples experience, but also be carefull to become discouraged and overwhelmed......
What we all do have in comon though, is our emotional experiences....we all know how it feels to feel overwhelmed, scared, worried, sad....you can add to the list.
What stands out for me is that you, your family and sons need to know that you as parents will not allow any member of the family to do anything to themselves or other family members that will put their or others safety at risk....you will protect all as well as your stepson of hurting himselves or others......This is a boundery that will not be crossed.....
Strenghts to you all!

buddy

Michelle, I'm glad things are better. I have a really helpful book you can read. It explains children like this and how to help them. I read it in one sitting:

http://www.amazon.com/Parenting-Hurt-Child-Adoptive-Hollywood/dp/1600062903

Here's crossing my fingers and sending good wishes, but I still maintain that if you feel your child is unsafe, do what you have to do. But read this book firsts. It rocks and is all about kids like your stepchildren!

This is a WONDERFUL book. I also like Love is not Enough and the ones connected to the links I posted earlier.