His anxiety won today

Andy

It has been so long since difficult child has gotten buried in anxiety. He has been doing so good about using his coping skills when it starts to sneak up.

Today, the neighbor took him to the Return to the Prairie event at a local wetlands learning center. They left a little after 12:00 with plans to return about 2:30/3:00.

I got a call from the neighbor about 20 minutes ago. "Just calling to make sure you are home. difficult child does not feel well. On the (long) walk, I noticed he wasn't feeling well so had him sit down. He then started gagging." She thought he had gotten enough to drink before the walk (drinking fountain) and didn't think dehydration would set in that fast. difficult child gets dehydrated quicker than most but the gagging sounds more like anxiety to me. When he becomes super anxious, he will throw up - gagging is new.

He told me that he left his hat at the neighbor's house and the sun was too hot on his face when they left the shaded part of the walk. It made him scared because he was so far from the buildings. He let his anxiety take over. When they headed back, difficult child wanted to run - he told me that he wanted to be close to those buildings as possible in case something happened to him because an ambulance would not be able to drive out to him. "I don't want to die."

We talked about his anxiety taking over - he had tried breathing but I think he was breathing too fast which adds to the anxiety. He was not trying to get rid of his scary thoughts of not getting back safely. I pointed out that he was not trusting the adults to keep him safe. He agreed. He said he couldn't understand why this happened because he was on that long walk at during cub scout camp earlier this summer. I told him that was because I was with to which he got this grin on his face and said, "Yes".

We talked about how we walk all day when we do things with his aunt and uncle. He doesn't have to worry about not being able to walk back when on a long trail with adults. He just needs to enjoy the walk.

So, I sent him down to husband's office (the coolest room in the house) to relax on the recliner, drink some water, and get rid of his anxiety. There is a t.v. to watch and I am hoping he doses off for a short nap.

TerryJ2

Aww. I'm so sorry.
He's right about not having you there, but this is the perfect age for learning to deal with it. Practice makes perfect and all that.
I hope it didn't dampen his spirits for wetland hikes in the future.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Andy,
It sounds like you handled it perfectly. I think it is so great that he is able to sit down and process things with you.