His celiac's blood test is positive

Josie

My daughter's behaviour showed an improvement in the first week. Then we noticed she was acting the same way after she had milk.

I think you will have behaviour issues for a while until you figure out what is really gluten free. Some foods appear to be gluten free by the label but if you call the company, you find out there is gluten "flying around the plant". Apparently, that is enough to set off my difficult child. Probably you will also continue to have behaviour issues if your difficult child cheats. So you'll probably never be entirely free of them until he moves out.

But it will get a lot better. It is much easier to deal with when you know it will go away when he cleans up his diet. I am pretty hard on my difficult child when she cheats because I want her to see the negative consequences of cheating on her diet.

I had been doing the gluten free diet for my other daughter for a while but not worrying about the trace amounts. When I got her test results, I got very strict about it. When I found out I needed to do the diet, I was already aware of needing to avoid traces of gluten. I could tell in 2 days that I felt better.

I did keep eating in restaurants that supposedly knew how to do gluten free. My initial good feeling went away for a while until I gave up the restaurants, sorry to say.

I think you will see a lot of improvement quickly if you are strict and careful and he doesn't cheat. I think you will have setbacks because it is easy to make mistakes. I would even say if you are still having regular behaviour problems after a few weeks, it is probably because he is still eating something he shouldn't.

Sara PA

An article you might be interested in....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...06/07/AR2008060702125.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Food Allergies Trigger Multibillion-Dollar Specialty Market

By Annys Shin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, June 8, 2008;

Kari Keaton is the sort of customer most businesses used to hate. The Rockville mother lingers at the grocery store, poring over ingredient labels. She calls food manufacturers and interrogates their customer service representatives about what sorts of foods get processed in the same facility and probes them on the meaning of "natural flavoring." And after all that effort, she still may not buy their product.

The way Keaton sees it, she has little choice. Her two sons, 10 and 15, suffer from severe food allergies. Keeping them from accidentally eating something that could trigger a fatal reaction has become the former IBM field manager's full-time job.

But Keaton, 52, and consumers like her are increasingly coveted by corporations and entrepreneurs who see an economic opportunity in catering to the needs of people who have food allergies or celiac, a condition treated by avoiding gluten. Marketing to the food-sensitive has become so widespread that the Girl Scouts now sell three kinds of milk-free cookies, Anheuser-Busch has a gluten-free beer and Kellogg's makes Pop-Tarts in nut-free factories.

The market for food-allergy and intolerance products is projected to reach $3.9 billion this year, according to Packaged Facts, a New York research firm. And the market for gluten-free foods and drinks is expected to hit $1.3 billion by 2010, up from $700 million in 2006, according to research firm Mintel.

An estimated 12 million people in the United States have food allergies, and another 2 million have celiac disease, a disorder in which the body's immune system attacks itself when exposed to gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley and rye. Those figures are expected to rise. The number of children with peanut allergies alone has doubled in the past decade. Food-induced anaphylaxis, a potentially fatal allergic reaction, causes about 30,000 emergency room visits and 150 to 200 deaths annually, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

Medical experts don't know why the number of people with food allergies is increasing. Theories include reduced contact with germs, exposure to certain environmental pollutants and, in the case of peanut allergies, the way peanuts are processed and when they are introduced into people's diet. None of the theories is backed by much research.

"We don't know if some of them are true or there's some truth to all of them," said Marshall Plaut, chief of the allergic mechanisms section at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Until scientists learn more, the prescription for people with life-threatening food allergies or celiac is to avoid the foods that make them sick, a task that is getting easier.

Whereas a decade ago, the "free from" food market consisted of small manufacturers whose products were sold mainly in health-food stores, today it encompasses an ever-growing list of start-up companies, mainstream retailers such as Safeway and Giant Food, and some food industry giants such as General Mills.

The ripple effect goes beyond the grocery aisle. In April, Deep Dive Media of Los Angeles, which runs health information Web sites, paid an undisclosed sum to buy PeanutAllergy.com, a site started by an affected parent. In March, Sciele Pharma paid $29 million to buy Twinject, an epinephrine auto-injector that competes with Dey L.P.'s Epipen. Epinephrine is used to treat anaphylaxis.

Food manufacturers have had to pay more attention to the needs of people with food allergies since the federal government in 2006 began requiring ingredient labels to disclose whether products contain milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts -- such as almonds and cashews -- fish, shellfish, soy and wheat.

Gluten is not on that list, but many manufacturers disclose it. Some companies, such as Stonyfield Farm, use gluten-free in their marketing. In April, General Mills said it had reformulated Rice Chex to be gluten-free.

"Rice Chex . . . was truly our effort to meet the needs of these consumers," said Kevin Farnum, director of sanitation, quality and regulatory operations for General Mills. "We know there is a great demand among consumers to have free-from labeling."

Other major food manufacturers such as Kellogg's and Campbell Soup also sell products safe for people with food allergies and celiac, but they have been more cautious about embracing the free-from claim. Unlike with organic products, there are no government standards for what "free-from" means.

The steps General Mills took to insure that Rice Chex was gluten-free also illustrate how hard it can be for a large manufacturer to do so. In addition to tweaking the recipe, the company had to review its production process, from the time the rice is harvested to when the cereal is packaged, to be certain that gluten would not get into the product.

New, smaller companies are more nimble. They don't have existing factories to convert. They can build facilities that are peanut- and tree-nut-free from day one. Many entrepreneurs, such as Eileen Moriarty Silva, are doing just that. Two years ago, she started soy-nut butter maker Simple Food in Amesbury, Mass., after selling her first soy-nut butter company in 2000. "I wanted to get back into the business," she said. "I knew there was just plenty of opportunity, and a lot of customers just needed more food out there."

The National Association for the Specialty Food Trade, a New York trade group, estimates that 300 of its 2,800 members offer more than 7,000 no-allergenic products, compared with five years ago, when about 50 members did, spokesman Ron Tanner said.

Increasingly, their customers don't necessarily have food allergies or celiac. They just think they do. "As much as 28 percent of U.S. citizens believe they are intolerant to some foods," said Mintel spokeswoman Joanna Peot. "This trend towards self-diagnosis has widened the 'free from' market from those who have to avoid certain foods to those who make a lifestyle choice for whatever reason."

Internet start-ups are also seeking to satisfy that demand. Heather and Brian Selwa started online store Peanut Free Planet two years ago in Cicero, Ind. Competitors Patrick Felkner and Steve Rubinstein launched Allerneeds.com, another peanut-free retailer, in Anaheim, Calif., four months ago.

"We were trying to jump on it before it really starts hitting [the mainstream]," Felkner said. "There's a market opportunity, there's no doubt about it."

Brick-and-mortar stores are clearing space on their shelves, too. "We've seen a dramatic increase in the number of customers looking for these type of products really in the last few years," said Safeway spokesman Greg TenEyck. "We've greatly increased the number and types of products we are offering."

The same thing is happening at Giant and at Whole Foods Market, which has an array of private-label products and a designated gluten-free bakery in North Carolina.

All this is good news for food allergy and celiac sufferers, said Anne Munoz-Furlong, co-founder of the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network in Fairfax. "They want to be able to go to the grocery store and buy food like everyone else," she said.

TerryJ2

Fun article. Thank you! I didn't know Rice Chex had been reformulated. Cool.

FairlyOdd, you're getting my hopes up way too high, LOL! I am really not expecting huge behavior changes any time soon. I know he will cheat. I'm just going to take it one day at a time.

Tomorrow should be interesting. We're going to Busch Gardens. He won't be able to eat anything, although I may let him have cotton candy to take off the sting. :)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Two of my sisters and a niece have celiac. It was a challenge in the beginning, but after a while, you become inventive and find new cool ways to make your favorite foods and snacks.

Every year we make tons of cookies and treats for the holidays and easy child and I always had such fun playing with the 'special' ingredients to make her cousin/aunt's cookies. We've also had fun creating favorite pasta dishes using the rice pasta. There are other pastas now that hold up better in recipes like lasagna.

If you have a Saubels, Whole Foods, Trader Joes and/or Garden of Light near you - go check out their stock! In the frozen isles you will find a lot of frozen gluten free bread-like items. That's where my sister gets her bagels/muffins and other things. We even love the gluten free pizza crusts they sell better than the wheat ones! Yum. And I have made 'carvel-like' ice cream cakes using all natural vanilla/chocolate breyers ice cream and gluten free cookies. Very yum. Have fun with it and let difficult child help you!

I'm so glad that you've gotten to the bottom of things. Surely, switching his diet will help with the skin issues as well as his general digestion/lactose intolerance.

Josie

I am very optimistic about your son!

Some more mainstream foods that are gluten and dairy free and kid friendly (but junky) are Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, Dora Explorer cereal (my 12 year old and her friends like this despite its box), Skittles, and Spree. Most soft drinks are ok: Coke, Sprite, Barque's root beer. That Minute Maid Lemonade at many amusement parks not. My kids and I react to Frito Lay products except the Stax potato chips which are made on gluten free lines.

I always take food to amusement parks even when they say it is not allowed. If they catch me and try to make me give it up, I tell them we all have celiac disease and they have nothing we can eat. I list the foods we can't have and if necessary go on about the whole cross contamination issue and they quickly agree to let me through.

It is very hard to tell a hungry kid there is nothing they can eat so I try to make sure I have something.

In the beginning, I let my kids eat a lot of junk food that was gluten free so that they would see there was still lots of good food they could eat and so they wouldn't cheat and we could see if it would help. My daughter is not officially diagnosis'ed with celiac though so if it hadn't improved her behaviour, we wouldn't have stuck with it.

MyFriendKita

I've used Rice Chex in place of Rice Krispies to make marshmallow treats--they're pretty good. I've also used Cocoa Pebbles, but they were a little too sweet.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Terry

I'm so glad you were able to discover this now, instead of when difficult child is an adult. It certainly is nice to have answers.

Hugs

TerryJ2

Thank you all!

Yes, we do have a Trader Joe's. I'll check it out. I also bought a bunch of flour and baking supplies online last night.

The amusement park worked out fantastically. difficult child was too excited to eat anything, so he had two Sierra Mists. Period.

I noticed that there are plenty of foods there he can eat --french fries, bar-b-que ribs, skinless chicken. I asked for the ingredients in the corn dogs, and they were kind enough to send me from the kiosk to a main kitchen, and show me a box so I was able to read the label. "Corn" meal is waaaaay down the list. Wheat flour was first. Go figure!
He was VERY good about the whole thing today.
Hey, it's only been 48 hrs ... but ... this could work out ... :)

I've got bar-b-que chicken in the oven, and rice, and edamame heating up and he'll be hungry when he gets home from his baseball game.

Sara PA

Be careful of chips and french fries. I forget where I heard it or which brand it was about, but some french fries contain wheat flour. I vaguely remember it was a fast food brand.

Josie

Sadly, almost all of the fries are not really gluten free. Even if they don't contain wheat themselves, they are almost always fried in the same oil with other wheat containing foods. I have learned the hard way that this is enough to cause difficult child behaviour. It is really unpleasant when I have had the fries, too, since I turn into a difficult child, too!

TerryJ2

I know. I'm reading as fast as I can!

He balked at dinner tonight ... I made him a turkey sandwich on brown rice bread and he wanted KIDS bread. Sigh. husband told him to get white rice bread from the fridge and take apart the sandwich, and difficult child did. He only ate two bites and I just left it alone. I put Saran Wrap on it so that's all he can eat when he gets hungry again in, oh, say, 3 min....

Josie

Terry,

It might be too much to get him to eat the gluten free bread and like it right now. Probably the hardest thing to replace is sandwich bread. A lot of people never find one that they like.