Hmmmmm

crazymama30

So difficult child had had a cough for the last few weeks. He was really acting sick yesterday so we went to urgent care today. Yesterday he woke up at noon and then promptly went back to sleep until 4 or so. This is the kid that never sleeps past 10! So come to find out has bronchitis and a sinus infection. Wonder if that could have been adding to his issues lately? I also think that the abilify is now kicking in and has calmed him enough so that he can act sick!The doctor put him on antibiotics and sudafed. No more sudafed, that has him amped up all over again! He had never taken it so I thought we'd try it......and now we know what it does. if I could just get this kid to calm down a bit more (he is better but still on the go constantly) he would probably get better quicker!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Hope he is feeling better soon!! I always know when something is wrong when difficult child sleeps more than usual or is extra quiet.

tiredmommy

Duckie isn't diagnosis'd with a mood disorders but she gets very moody when her sleep has been disrupted: chatty, nervous, quick to anger, difficult to transition, etc. Hopefully being able to sleep better will help greatly to even him out some.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
CM have you ever tried benedryl to see if that helps settle him down when things are really bad? I know that's a really off-label use, but it IS used for it's sedative effects.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Actually, Benadryl is used on label as a sleep aid. Diphenhydramine is the active ingredient in OTC sleep aids like Sominex, etc.

H

HaoZi

I'm surprised the doctor gave him sudafed, most decongestants don't mix with the kind of medications many of our kids take. We use the Vicks inhaler when she get stuffed up.

crazymama30

Haozi, too many docs don't know psychiatric medications, that is why I know them. I tried it, saw the results, and won't do it again. Plus, I like to have sudafed for me as we cannot get the real stuff in my state anymore!

G, difficult child hates to take pills, I had to make a point of having the doctor say he had to take the extra pills or he would not get better! And then he said he would after he very clearly showed why he takes all the psychiatric medications! He took the amoxicillin, but ended up not wanting the sudafed (fine with me) but also won't take the mucinex which really would help him. As long as he will take the amoxicillin as well as his regular medications, we will deal with it.

tiredmommy

Ask him to use nasal saline solution... that will help clear the sinus infection. Duckie uses Zyrtec regularly for allergy symptoms and it works very well.