Holiday recipes?

susiestar

Roll With It
Let's post our favorite holiday recipes - for meals, treats, gifts (in a jar or not), etc....

A few weeks back there was a whole thread about fudge. I can NOT get the kind of fudge you boil to work. Ever. I guess I am fudge-impaired or something. I do have a super easy chocolate fudge recipe that takes little effort and is wonderful.

O.M.G. It's Good Fudge (named by a friend of mine)

4 T butter
3 squares unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup light corn syrup (karo)
1 T water
1 t vanilla
1 box - 16 oz - powdered sugar
1/2 c nuts or 1 c mini marshmallows (optional)
2/3 to 1 c chocolate, peanut butter or butterscotch chips
Butter 8 inch pan and set aside (cooking spray is fine)

Melt butter and chocolate together over low heat in heavy medication size saucepan. Stir in corn syrup, water and vanilla. Remove from heat and IMMEDIATELY stir in powdered sugar, and nuts or marshmallows if using them. It will be very stiff.

Stir in 2/3 c to 1 c chocolate chips. (you can omit them, but they are amazing)

Pack into prepared pan, cool and cut into squares.

This is a fantastic carrot cake. Most years I had more requests for this cake than for chocolate cake when the kids were in elementary school, which totally shocked me. My mom makes them for my niece's class and the kids are still asking for this instead of chocolate cake, lol.

Homemade Bailey's Irish Cream

1 c light cream or half and half
1 can sweetened condensed milk (Eagle brand is fine)
1 1/3 Irish Whiskey
2 t instant coffee - use good quality
2 T Hershey's chocolate syrup (do not use store brands)
1 t vanilla
1 t almond extract

Combine in blender on high speed or with whisk. Put in tightly sealed bottle and keep refrigerated for up to 2 mos. Shake before serving. this makes a great gift in a pretty bottle.

Flavored Coffee

To make a great flavored coffee, add 1 oz vanilla or almond extract (or whatever extract you like) or 2 T ground spices to 1 pound ground coffee. Keep in tightly sealed container. Package in smaller jars, bags, etc.... for an easy gift. Measure like regular coffee grounds when you make coffee.

Rum Butter
This is awesome on scones, muffins, pound cake (esp with fruit for an easy dessert) or even between layers of cakes or cookies. Easy to make, stores for weeks in the fridge.

1 c butter, room temp
1 pound light brown sugar
1/3 c rum
1/4 t each nutmeg and cinnamon

Cream butter until very light. Gradually add brown sugar and continue to beat until smooth and light. Add rum gradually, then spices. Pack firmly into a bowl and cover with foil and plastic wrap (or lid of container). Store in refrigerator.

You CAN put all ingredients into a big bowl and just mix and mix and mix. But it is easier to put them in one at a time. Either way, make SURE you beat until everything is light and fluffy, maybe 5-10 min total of beating with mixer.

Special Butter

This is for rolls, toast, etc....

1 stick margarine or butter, or 1 small tub of light margarine spread. 1-2 teaspoons of Mrs. Dash (your choice of flavors, we like garlic and herb). Stir together until well mixed. Can use mixer to make it very fluffy.

You can use almost any seasoning you want to. For mexican dinners, try taco seasoning. Or try Italian herbs, or garlic pepper. Tones has a spicy spaghetti sauce spice mix that is awesome in this.

New twist on Dip-

Mix 1 c sour cream, 1 c mayonnaise of your choice (light, reg, fat free, whatever) with 2 t Tones Spicy Spaghetti Seasoning. It is awesome, esp the next day!

What recipes can you add?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
EASY Cranberry relish...

Take 1 bag fresh cranberries, toss them into a pot of boiling water till they pop. Drain, throw in a blender with 1 peeled and sectioned orange and 1/4 cup sugar. Blend till the consistency of jam... Chill... And enjoy! (It's good on toast or pancakes, too...)

Lower-sugar pumpkin pie

Preheat oven to 475. Blend 1 can pumpkin, 1/2 can sweetened condensed milk, 2 eggs, 8 oz. milk, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsps cinnamon, 1/8 tsp ground cloves. Pour into a pie shell, bake for about 45 minutes till a knife comes out clean.

Open berry pie

I used blackberries we picked last summer and froze...
Put berries in a pie shell, sprinkle 3/4 cup sugar over it. Bake at 475 till shell is golden.

Smoked turkey...
Go to Honeybaked... They're $29.99.

Greebies (I names these when I was about four)
1 pkg frozen green beans (IC, hush about my frozen stuff)
1/4 lb bacon
Put these in a small crock pot with 1 can broth (your choice) and cook till they smell great. You can add onions, too.

Garlic mashed potatoes

Peel and cut potatoes into large chunks. Cook in a pressure cooker with water till tender (about 12 minutes). Drain; add 1/2 tbsp crushed or minced garlic per lb. of potatoes, a stick of butter, and a little milk. Use a hand mixer to blend - add more milk as necessary.

Peppermint syrup

1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 1 tbsp peppermint oil. Boil over low heat until it's reduced to about half. Add food coloring if you wish. Pour into a bottle... PS, blue food coloring turns green after a while!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I still want to get the pumpkin bread recipe posted for Linda. easy child keeps forgetting to give it to me and she has the book it's in. We're on like our 5th or 6th loaf of the stuff and I still can't get enough.....was thinking tonight how yummy it would be topped with whipped cream. lol

I'll dig out the cherished family recipe for chocolate pudding cake. It is sinfully delicious, blissfully sweet........so rich in fact one needs vanilla ice cream with it. I've got to dig it out for one of the xmas desserts anyway.