Holidays and difficult child

Wiped Out

Staff member
I know I shouldn't complain because he is so much better than he was when he was little but every year he drives us nuts at this time of the year. I know he is super excited (excited like a little kid) but he is talking all of the time, repeating himself a million times (which he always does to an extent but even more) and seems slightly manic.

Probably at least 10 times today he has asked, "Is Christmas the day after tomorrow?" Even though we've answered it each time. He also asked yesterday, "On Monday, do I work in the morning or afternoon?" about 20 times. It is that way with everything right now... He already isn't sleeping as late as usual. Every year on Christmas morning he wakes up at 2:00 or so in the morning. Seriously with all of the medications he is on, he shouldn't even be able to wake up that early.

Plus, because he is so anxious he has been really obnoxious. He is tapping on things, making noises with silverware, pounding on the floor, whistling (loudly), really anything to drive us crazy. Even when we ask him to stop he won't. Sigh...

Fortunately he is working Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, and Fri for a few hours each day which should give us some relief!!

LittleDudesMom

Sorry difficult child is revved - you would think this would lessen with age - the Christmas anticipation and all...

Positive thoughts for the next week,
Sharon

amelia d

Hope outweighs experience
I have to say...I'm a little jealous that I can't get that excited for ANYTHING anymore! I know it's no help for you, but imagine how dull Christmas would be without his passion...try to enjoy it and let the rest of us be envious of his joy. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks Sharon! I wish it would lessen some. He is also quick to be upset which results in a ton of swearing and rudeness.

Amelia-Thank you! I should look more at the positive. He truly does have a lot of passion for the holidays.

TerryJ2

Good point. I hadn't remembered the converse law for some time now ... where our difficult children ramp up with enthusiasm, which drains us of our passion. Mine can be an energy vampire.

susiestar

Roll With It
I hope things have settled down since you posted Though I often thought the week between Christmas and New Years was the hardest to get through for the kids.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks Susie! Things did settle down for Christmas itself but yesterday he was so wound up it was torture! husband realized later in the evening that difficult child hadn't taken his morning medications yesterday. They got ready in a hurry yesterday to go to a movie so husband forgot to remind him (usually we both do but I can't even remember what I was up to at that point). Also I don't think it is helping that we somehow have misplaced his Straterra prescription that helps with his ADHD and it can be refilled until January 7th! Ugh-I almost called his doctor to see if he had any free samples!

Funny thing is that it is almost 8:20 and he is still sleeping! That is a rarity for him. Of course, yesterday he told me he wants to take me to breakfast today-I'm starved and he is still sleeping-lol. I'd be fine not going out but if I eat and he wakes up and still wants to go he will be disappointed.

Confused

Sorry Wiped Out you had such a time!!! Glad things settled a little but sorry you cant get the medications until the 7th! Yikes! I understand -hugs!