Home earlier than expected

Wiped Out

Staff member
We went to Green Bay today. First to visit my mom and then my dad and his wife We were supposed to spend the night and go out with some good friends of mine for lunch.

difficult child was in a major difficult child mode. The car ride alone had husband and I ready to turn around. He was in a high speed, rude, sometimes violent mode most of the day.

When we got to my dad's we told them we probably wouldn't spend the night due to difficult child. Everyone was very understanding and we just decided for everyone involved coming home tonight was the right thing to do. We also needed to be sure difficult child would be safe in the car and at night he would be sleeping.

I feel really bad about missing out on time with my friends tomorrow but know we made the right choice. My friends want to meet me halfway for dinner next week (one is home visiting from CA so I rarely see her). They wrote they could tell I need some girl friend time.

As hard as this was I did feel fortunate that I was able to tell everyone that we needed to go home because of difficult child and felt very supported.

Glad difficult child has a psychiatrist appointment this coming week. Me thinks tomorrow is going to be a long day. Sigh...

crazymama30

Hugs. I am sorry your visit did not go as planned, but glad you have such supportive friends and family. I know for me it is so hard when I have to change life all around to suit difficult child or husband. I hope things smooth out for you.

M

ML

I am soo glad you felt support. How nice that is. To have that support instead of judgement (why can't they keep that kid in line type stuff) is a true gift. I just hope you do meet your friends halfway soon and have some girlfriend time. I always feel recharged when I can take that time for me. Hugs, ML

Wiped Out

Staff member
CM and ML-Thank you. I really don't like changing plans like that but in this case it was needed. ML-I'm hoping to get in that girlfriend time for some recharging.

Marguerite

Sorry you had to cut your trip short but it does sound like you made a good call.

When we've had problems lie this, sometimes we've been able to pull off the road and give difficult child 3 a talking to. Often it's anxiety and frustration driving him, and if he can see that we will pull off and wait for him to behave, sometimes he chooses to hold his problems in a bit more so we can continue safely. Increasingly lately, he can be difficult simply because we're away from home where he feels safe and secure. So to handle this, we do have short trips every so often and give him plenty of warning about the trip, as well as no option about going. We give him something he can look forward to (such as bringing a game to play with everybody, which we also plan ahead with the others). For example, it might be a game system with one particular game we think others will like (such as Singstar) or maybe a board game, or a game of cards. His current "thing" is Mah Jong. But different kids are driven by different things.

I hope you can get your girlfriend time in next week. How far is the trip in hours?

Marg