Home from rehab

Nancy good to hear she is home. So encouraging that all the staff at the center could see to the true heart of your daughter. The staff wouldn't say that lightly.

A few days ago I got Melody Beatty's The Language of Letting Go -- the daily readings are beautiful and straight to the point (I'm recovering myself, as you know, but co-dependency still requires constant vigilance for me, more than quitting drinking, really). Very compassionate language. A step further than Co-Dependent No More (not saying you're co-dependent, lol).

I've read that many adopted kids have Borderline (BPD) (not meaning to label -- just what I read). I have the Stop Walking On Eggshells workbook and one other book that I can't remember. I've been on some fabulous, positive sites on the internet. I think Borderline (BPD) is a complicated and currently misunderstood disorder that soon will be coming into its own as more research is done.

Janet thank you for your insight and wisdom

Jo

Nancy

Janet I hope someday I can have you meet difficult child and you can tell her how much faith you have had in her over these years.

Jo I love The Language of Letting Go too. She has a sequel called More Language of Letting Go. Both these books really help me on a daily basis. And by the way I am co-dependent and have read that book too. I'm going to get Walking on Eggshells as soon as I'm finished with I Hate You Don't Leave Me. I read more of it today waiting for difficult child in her counseling appointment and honestly it fits her so well I can't believe none of her other therapists ever sugegsted it. I am not surprised to hear that many adopted kids have Borderline (BPD). I am excited to see how dialectical behavioral therapy works and what affect it will have on difficult child. She said she really likes this therapist and he is very interactive which is what she needs. He told her that she seems very charming and also cunning and asked if she was charming him or being honest. I had to laugh, he seems to have her number already.

You have helped me a great deal and your insight is invaluable to me.

Nancy

J

jinger

Nancy...I'm not sure if you remember me. I don't post anymore, but check in occasionally and I was so happy to read that your daughter has received treatment and is beginning a new journey into as a sober living young adult. Your joy as her Mom is evident.

One day at a time is the best advice ever. She will relapse more than once in one way nor another, but each time she will learn something she needs to know and become stronger. She is so fortunate to have a support system to lean on.

Take good care...let her work her program and you yours and appreciate each day.

Jinger/Penta

G-Ma to 21 year old who spent 18 months at Residential Treatment Center (RTC) as a young teen for behavioral disorders and is now a mature, goal oriented college student.

Nancy

Penta, my gosh yes I remember you fondly. Thank you so much for your words of support. You are very wise. They told us in rehab that each time she relapses she will learn more from it and get back to the program...at least that's what we are all hoping. So far so good, she says she loves her new life and seems very happy.

Hugs,
Nancy