Home from the hospital

F

flutterbee

Well - it's been a life-changing week.

Last Friday night, I had a bit of discomfort in my throat and upper chest. I attributed it to heartburn and took some tums. Saturday night while difficult child and I were getting ready to go out to eat with a friend and her kids, it came back. A bit more severe this time. I took some more tums. Felt kinda crummy through dinner. After dinner, we stopped at the store for bunny food and it became pretty intense. When I got home, I went right upstairs to get my jammies on I had to lie down for a bit as it felt like it was hard to breathe and my heart was just pounding. By that time, the pain was also shooting down the back of my left arm to my elbow. It felt like a pinched nerve.

Sunday was more of the same. By Monday, the pain was mostly in my upper back between my shoulder blades, shooting up my neck and down my left arm. By now, any kind of exertion, i.e, walking, was causing significant discomfort in my throat and upper chest and my breathing was labored.

I've had symptoms similar to these before and doctors in the past have said it's a virus in the muscles, or the like. But I decided to go to the ER Monday night just as a precaution. Long story short (and it is a very long story), I had a mild heart attack. On Tuesday they did a heart catheterization and were shocked by what they found. They placed 4 stents in the coronary arteries. 2 of the arteries were 99% blocked, the other 2 were 50% and 40% blocked. I have coronary artery disease. I'm only 33 years old.

I had complications from the catheterization. I bled internally into my abdomen from the artery used for the procedure. They did a CT Scan following the catheterization to determine the amount and location of the bleed and found a significant bleed. The pain from internal bleeding is excruciating. Fortunately, the bleeding stopped on its own. I found out later from my mom that I was close to going in to surgery to stop the bleeding. On Thursday, I had a blood transfusion because my hemoglobin was dropping instead of steadying after the bleed. I was released from the hospital on Friday.

In the meantime, difficult child stayed with a friend of mine and did very well. I was very worried about how she would handle this and she came through like a champ. I'm so proud of her. easy child stayed with some friends who live around the corner and came home in the afternoon to take care of the animals. He came through like a champ, too. I'm proud of both of my kids.

I'm still in quite a bit of discomfort in my abdomen as my body absorbs the blood. I have a slew of new medications to take everyday - beta blocker, ace inhibitor, Plavix (to stop the platelets from collecting on the stents), aspirin, cholesterol medication, pain medications in addition to my lexapro and aygestin. I have a lot of adjustments to make and it's still sinking in. I expected to leave the ER on Monday with a rx for Nexium. It's all been a bit surreal.

tiredmommy

OMG! :smile: I'm glad you are okay! You need to follow those doctor's orders to a "t"! Also, it's time to line up some serious respite for difficult child.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
:surprise: My goodness - what a scare!

I'm glad that you're listening to doctor's orders. :doctor:

Take care of you - if you don't no one else can. :flower:

house of cards

Wow, what a shocker. Hope you are feeling better soon and get this under control. You are so young to have to deal with this. You are in my prayers.

smallworld

Heather, I'm so sorry for everything you've been through. Please take it easy and take care of yourself. You must be so proud of your kids -- it's amazing when they rise to the occasion. Sending many gentle hugs your way.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Sorry this has happened but what an eyeopener! Thank you also for describing the pains and feelings you were having. It could serve as a warning to others. You are much too young for this to happen, but glad you got to the ER and had it taken care of....hope your recovery goes smoothly....

DammitJanet

Wow...so sorry this happened.

You are the second person I have been told had a heart attack this week! Wowzers. Scary.

kris

<span style='font-size: 14pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #993399"> HOLY MACKERAL, heather!!!

please be careful with-the plavix & the internal bleeding. i had to take it for weeks after i got my stents....it scared the crap out of me & i couldn't wait for the doctor to d/c it.

when they removed my catheter they had a hard time getting the cath site to stop bleeding. can you say *arterial spray*???? was pretty scarey at the time...tho they shot me up with-morphine & nothing was scarey after that lol.

hope you back on the top of your game soon. rest, lot's of rest.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
How horrible, Heather! :surprise: I'm so glad you sought treatment! Poor you!!!

Please take care of yourself.

Suz

busywend

That is scary stuff! I am so glad you went to the ER, altough it took you too long! Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take care of you!

Estherfromjerusalem

Wow Heather! I wish you a speedy recovery. Thank heavens you got to the Emergency Room in time! Look after yourself and do everything the doctors tell you.

Love, Esther

Lothlorien

WOW! So you may have had this before and the docs just blew it off as a virus! That's scary. I'm glad you went to the ER and had it checked. You are way too young for this.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Heather,
How very scary. I'm so sorry. I'm glad you went in when you did. Please take care of you. Saying a prayer for speedy healing. :angel: