Home Schooling

C_J

Considering homeschooling my son, he has ADHD & ODD - possibly bi-polar (explosive temper) and it happens 100% of the time at school. I have never seen an episode - but I have heard it in the background when the schools calls. I'm a single mother, but I think I'm going to discuss with my boss me working from home most of the day and coming in late in the day for a few hours - it would work in my field, just having a home office. My son is 7 years old and has extremely low self esteem due to his behavior in front of his peers that he can't seem to control. He has already spent time in an alternative learning enviornment and it broke my heart to see him crying every day before school - alternative school is like a mini prision in my opinion.

Does anyone else have experience with home schooling? He participates in extracurricular activities (karate, all seasonaly sports, Cub Scouts) and we have a close network of friends. I would join a local support group so he could play with their kids also - so I don't feel his socializing would be compromised. Actually, I feel is socializing right now is very negative - kids are mean. They don't forget, they tease and harass him. I'm just tired. So tired.

C

cmfout

My son is nearly 15 but your boy seems very similar. Mine has also been diagnosed ODD and is likely ADHD and possibly more. He refuses to be evaluated though. He struggled badly in school through 8th grade and we've homeschooled this year. For the first time in his life he's doing very well with his education. Traditional schools just don't work for some kids. Homeschooling allows a lot more flexibility for them, and that's what's best for my boy. Good luck!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
CJ--

Homeschooling could be just the positive experience your son needs!

He can have a chance to do well in academics, explore his interests by visiting history museums and art galleries as part of his 'classroom', without any of the pressure found in a regular or alternative school setting.

If you find a homeschooler's group in your area - even better! Socialization is more on a one-to-one basis and parents are right there if the kids need some guidance navigating the rules of the playground.

Go for it!

KAK

Have you read the books The Myth of ADD by Thomas Armstrong and Teaching the Restless by Chris Mercogliano? Both of these books offer alternative thought on the subject of ADD and other labeling of children. Another Good book is Why Our Children Don't Think. It addresses issues with brain development and our current culture.

I have recently taken my son out of school. We've been homeschooling since January 1st 2011. School is not a place for children. If your child has anger issues, don't label him, it may be a coping strategy with the abuse of school or other stress in his life. I sent my son to school for 3 1/2 years, and each year he started showing more aggression and self-doubt. He didn't start out that way. Since he has been home there have been displays of anger, but mostly breakdowns and many stories of fear and verbal abuse.

You must care deeply for your son or you wouldn't seek help. Trust your instincts.

JJJ

Homeschooling can be wonderful for our children -- especially those that are pretty typical at home and only blow up at schol.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I'm going devil's advocate here ~ my difficult child kt is currently attending school on line. Saying that, I hate it more than you can imagine.

All thru the years I have always considered school as respite. There is no privacy when your child is always at home & a parent needs some down time. I was more than willing to fight the school district & for the right IEP if I didn't have to have the tweedles do home schooling.

Saying the above, what are your concerns with school that cannot be addressed? Is there an IEP in place along with a behavioral intervention plan? What are the goals set if there is an IEP in place?

I hate that kt is here all the time even tho I love her beyond all reason. She needs more socialization than the local home school groups have around here. Our difficult children need to learn to be in situations in the real world ~ it's a life skill that needs to be practiced in school. The world will not stop because your difficult child has issues.

As I said, just playing devil's advocate.

DDD

Like so many other issues that arise with difficult child's this is one where you have to trust your instincts.
For some it works like a charm. For others it is a nightmare. Alot depends on your son but probably more depends on how a major life change will impact you. I wish you good luck. DDD