homemade tomato soup?

ctmom05

I enoy getting creative in the kitchen, altho I tend to be more the "semi-homemade" type of gal. That usually involves doctoring the same old same old, and making it my own.

Once in a while I watch the Food Network and have a couple of favorite chefs. I saw one of the guys for the first time. What he made was a new take on an old stand-by. Tyler Florence made Roasted Tomato Soup from scratch.

I like tomato soup, but have always just dumped a can of Campbell's into a saucepan. Mr. Florence made his version look so tremendously appetizing that I just had to give it a whirl....it's cooking now.

It's fun to have found a new menu idea that I couldn't wait to try

Star*

call 911........call 911
I dont give a hang what they look like - If they can cook I'm there

Let us know how the tomato soup turns out. The price of 'maters here is so high it's Campbells or nothing.

ctmom05

The soup was fabba luss winderful fabba luss! My husband's comment was that it tasted like pizza. I will be making this one again.

STILLjustamom

Hey post the recipe, don't torture us, ok?
And if anyone has the recipe for that tomato basil soup they make at La Madeline, I want that one too!

goldenguru

<u>La Madeline's Tomato Basil Soup</u>

4 cups tomatoes, cored, peeled, and chopped (8-10) or canned whole tomatoes, crushed
4 cups tomato juice (or part vegetable or part chicken stock)
12-14 basil leaves, washed fresh
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 lb sweet unsalted butter
salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper

1. Combine tomatoes, juice/and or stock in saucepan.
2. Simmer 30 minutes.
3. Puree, along with the basil leaves, in small batches, in blender, food processor (or better yet, one of those handy hand-held food blenders, right in the cooking pan). Return to saucepan and add cream and butter, while stirring, over low heat. Garnish with basil leaves and serve with your favorite bread.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm not chef savy - read the ingredients and thought to myself:

THATS it-just tomatoes?

DUH STAR....

(I got the gas thing) herkaleeeez

susiestar

Roll With It
I wish I got food network. Or any pay tv channel. But not enough to PAY for them. Hence the antenna on the pole on the side of my house that bangs against the wall in the night. (MY daddy gave it to my husband for xmas - wouldn't let it be mounted on the roof - said we had to tell the kids SOMETHING :thumb:)

I have not seen any of this guy. I do love Alton Brown and Good Eats. Now I even make my own mayo since I have a food processor.

No one but husband would eat tomato soup. I had hope that my daughter would like tomatos like he does, but nope. thank you likes them, but he can't breathe after he eats much of one. And they say it is NOT an allergy :grrr: But he does not like the not breathing, so he does not sneak tomatoes, so all is good!

I hope you ALL enjoy the soups!!!!