Homeschooling/online school

myeverything04

I posted this from my phone and apparently it won't let me add my signature. difficult child is 9 with a diagnosis of ADHD and Dyslexia and has testing for Auditory Processing disorder in January. She does not look forward to school and seems to be more stressed out about going then she should be.

soapbox

I wouldn't be making a switch in schooling until after the Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) testing... because, the accommodations and technology that you will get to help with Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) makes a HUGE difference in school.

It was the single most effective diagnosis we got for difficult child. School went from impossible to... tolerable. We didn't get the diagnosis until high school (way too late, but still worth it).

StressedM0mma

My difficult child is online schooling, but she is a JR. in H.S. I am not sure I would have done it at that age. And, like Soap said, I would not make any decision until all testing is complete.

Liahona

I homeschool most of my kids. I love it, but I know it isn't for every family. My kids aren't as stressed about school, I don't have to fight schools, I can tailor my kids education to their interests.

dstc_99

We attempted homeschooling with easy child this year and she is now being evaluated for acceptance back into public school. I would say that if you are wanting to do it you need to have a child who can motivate themselves, a parent who has the time to be a teacher, and a good program.

We are doing an online program called K12 which is run through the state. It is free and we have had nothing but good things to say about it once we figured it out.

easy child on the other hand makes me miserable at home complaining all day. The assignments are stupid. She doesn't understand. She can't stop kissing the dog. She can't stop googling random crap to talk to me about. yada yada yada

In our case I don't have the patience. Plus she requires complete silence to do her work. That means from whenever I get up to whenever she gets done I can't clean or cook or take a phone call or type on the laptop. You get the point. I can't afford for life to stop while she lays on the floor pretending to do her work.