Homework issues update

navineja

I am pleased to say that both N and J have had an excellent week, both at home and at school. I realize that it is likely just a fluke, the excitement of going back, but I am going to enjoy it while it lasts! :dance:
I have implemented some of the ideas that various ones offered and homework has been a breeze. I think that allowing some play before is probably a key factor. We also planned something special with my sisters and their kids if there were no homework problems, which was great incentive. There were a few times that N was ready to go off, but a gentle reminder of what she would lose was enough to help her calm herself. I usually do not agree with giving extra rewards for doing what a child should be doing anyway, but I am willing to try anything to have peace. My hope is that after a time, the habit of fighting the homework will go away and be replaced with good study habits. (A girl's gotta have her dreams, doesn't she?)
Anyhow, thanks again for the help!

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
Sometimes incentive is not a bad thing! Giving them down time before the "school work" continues gives them enough of a breather to continue. If it's not broke don't fix it!!!
Different things work for different kids, I homeschool mine and we don't get much of a breather! i wish i could play before we continue work! I'm learning that when you find something that works embrace it - it may be one of the only times in their lives when someone will take the time to understand and give them a "BREAK". good work - keep it up!!!!!

Marguerite

Daralex, we sometimes 'play' or in some other way take a break. I also use food - difficult child 3 is very thin, he often forgets to eat, so sometimes while he's working I'll push a giant bowl of freshly popped popcorn at him (I love my popcorn machine!). Or nachos. Or a burger. Anything - food.

When he's been distracted and not able to work, I collect his work together and we go find somewhere else quiet. Maybe we'll stay in the car and work, parked somewhere pretty (near the beach, or in a rainforest). Or we will get out and set up camp somewhere for him to get some work done. He has said to me after a while, "I think I'm back in work mode now. I will be able to finish this at home," so we go home and he continues to work well.

As you said, different things work for different kids and different situations, you use what works and ignore the rest.

Marg

M

ML

I am trying to use motivation charts with stickers right now. 3 stickers will earn him a song he can download for his IPOD. That's his thing right now. Next month it might not work but it seems to for now. Hang in there, you are not alone in the homework wars.