Honeymoon over

L

luvmyottb

difficult child had a great weekend for the most part. Had a great time fishing with Dadf and spending time with us while big brother is in Colorado visiting friends. She was a pleasure to be with on Saturday and most of Sunday.

The claws came back yesterday. As soon as I picked her up from camp, she wanted to invite a friend over. After she had been with kids from 9am to 5:30pm. No. Well the evening went downhill from there. She demanded to be taken to the pond to fish. She demanded I ride horses with her. She told me I was hateful and a crybaby. Sent her to her room to cool off and she did for about 10 minutes and started on about how I it is my fault that she doesn't get to play with her friend Sara anymore.

(Sidebar-difficult child ran away to Sara's house last week after getting angry with me. I haven't talked to Sara's mom since because I have the feeling she will not allow difficult child to come over again after that stunt she pulled.)

So I say, Whose fault is it you don't play with Sara?? difficult child takes her fork and bangs it several times into the counter and it goes flying across the kitchen counter and she is screaming at me. Yikes! Punishment to be handed down today. It is just push, push, push buttons all the time.

Woke up in another snit this morning. I just crave the niceness and peace of last Saturday to come back. I don't know if she was just being crabby and manipulative or more behavior due to Daytrana patch wearing off.

therapist appointment this afternoon. Feeling beat up today from last night and this morning.

busywend

I hope the therapist appointment helps a bit. Sometimes one can feel lighter walking out of a session. Helps to get it out. That is IF she is participating. Mine did not.

When she is calmer, have you ever asked her what it is like for her when she is angry? Sometimes questions like this help us to figure out different ways to handle different situation. No cure all, but just a different thought for you can sometimes bring something new to try.

TerryJ2

:warrior:I know how you feel. Exactly.

I suspect I'll be in for the same thing next wk. I really want to see my difficult child but I dread the demands he will make.

I'm putting on my Warrior Mom outfit early.

Stay strong.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Do all these meltdowns coincide with her patch wearing off? (For us it's about 9 hours after application).

For my difficult child with the mood disorder, stims make him VERY irritable, agitated, negative, and sometimes violent at the wear-off point.

L

luvmyottb

Yesterday's meltdown could have very well been medication related. The dropoff when the stimulant goes away.

Its somewhat hard to determine. She is still young enough not to be clued into her body signals, but is beginning to understand a little and relay the information. It is going to be imperative for her to figure this out to help herself.

nvts

Just a thought, but maybe if you don't discuss her issues until she mellows out? difficult child 1 used to **** me into his garbage left and right, then one day, I looked him square in the face and said "I will no longer discuss ANYTHING until you are in some form of control of yourself".

He hollered, yelled etc. and I just didn't answer him. Eventually, he realized that I meant it. I was just sick to death of being baited.

Icky little kids!

Beth

Wiped Out

Staff member
I understand that feeling of wanting the peacefulness you experienced back! Whenever difficult child has a couple of good days and then blows it is so hard.

I like Beth's idea of refusing to discuss until they are better in control.

Are you sure that you don't have MY daughter there?

The very instant that she is not engaged in an activity or with a friend, she starts this "I'm BOOOOORED" nonsense. Very same thing.

I agree with Beth, try to disengage during the tantrum and then talk to her later. I know my kid is not capable of a rational discussion when she is being, well...irrational.

Hugs, I know this stinks.