Hoping that Emily is not getting sick again

DDD

This is addressed to Steely not sweet Emily. Have you ever tried Azo? I had problems for years, as did my sister, and Azo didn't "cure" the problem but it sure gave OTC relief quickly. When I called for an appointment. with the Urologist his nurse suggested I try it to tide me over. It was a lifesaver...for adults. DDD

This is addressed to Emily. I'm still thinking about you sweet thing and hoping your Mommy really didn't see a problem the other day. Hugs. DDD

J

joneshockey

I am sooo EXTREMELY frusterated right now - I could SCREAM! I have been trying since 3:00 to get a urine sample from Emily & all she does is pee around the bag! I even had to make a trip down to the hospital for more supplies (which they were exteremly stingy with - only giving me 2 bags)... I now only have 1 bag left and am stressed that I will have to go down there AGAIN in the AM to get more supplies... I am currently trying the cotton ball method where I place some in the diaper to see if I can have them soak up the urine so that I can in turn squeeze the urine out of them with a surringe (I know, I know --- too much information), but I am now getting desperate! I know that if I dont show up with a sample tomorrow that they will want to cath her & we all know that won't show what it needs to! Does anyone have any suggestions for me???

Cindy

keista

Fashion a diaper out of a grocery bag? Hopefully it will puddle and not leak out, so you can get the sample. Got any clean tarps? Have play time sans diaper on the tarp getting ready to collect sample.

I never had to do this, but always wondered how they test for UTIs in babies. Now I know - with great difficulty.

InsaneCdn

Cloth diaper? nah, probably still too absorbant.

Timing... usually, young children (under 6 months for sure, maybe longer than that) will urinate about 30 minutes after drinking.

Steely

Never had to do this either....hmmmm.....give her a couple of bottles of apple juice and rock her without a diaper only the bag? So sorry this is going on. I thought they put her on antibiotics cuz they knew for sure, why another sample????

J

joneshockey

Steely~
They did put her on a new antibiotic (one that she has never been on before), however they still need to find out what kind of bacteria is growing so that they can make sure that she is on the right type of antibiotic (one that isnt resistant to the antibiotic she is on)... in the past it has been ecolli, but a few times it has been other kinds as well. I just changed her diaper and I did manage to squeeze a few more drops out of the cotton balls & into the container, but I still dont think that it is enough... I do have 1 more "puck"/bag that I plan on putting on her first thing in the AM - golly I hope I get enough. I got a HUGE laugh at Keista's post --- it MAY come to that if I dont get the result I need. I do like the "puck" only approach too, which I could put a plastic bag on my lap and just have her diaper-free for awhile. It always just amazes me how gifted she is at avoiding giving me a sample. Her overnight cotton balls just gave me a few drops, while the whole diaper around the cotton was sacherated - go figure, sigh... I will keep you all posted --- If any of you have more suggetions, keep them coming (even if it only gives me another good laugh)

Cindy