Hoping the Proverbial Fan has Not Been Hit...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
husband reaaaallly put his foot in it this time.

He worked from home on Friday and got a call from someone in the far east (India most likely) saying they were contracted with his employer for system security (or some such thing) and that they'd detected a security issue on husband's laptop (which he uses to dial into the company network), that it was loaded with viruses and about to crash, so they needed to access it remotely to fix things before they blew up in his face. The person he spoke to knew just enough about husband's employer to convince him they were legit (and since the company does a LOT of business with contract firms in that country, husband suspected nothing and believed them even when they said he had to pay the $199 fee and then get reimbursed by his employer).

Well today he learned he was scammed big time. The credit card charge is the least of our worries. This could end up costing him his job if it turns out the company's network or data or anything else sensitive was compromised.

I've never been so scared of unemployment as I am today, because this situation would mean he would NOT be eligible for collecting unemployment, not to mention the black mark on his career in the IT industry.

Please rattle whatever magic beads you have available, send up any prayer or good juju that his butt does not get fired for this. :please:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OHHHHH! Will do.

Best thing would be for him to tell the company right out, hey this happened - because then they can take steps.

:hugs:

buddy

Oh gosh, a crime was committed and he will lose his job over being a victim? I get it that in hindsight he should have seen some warning flags but really.... I bet this is just the money.... did he really give them remote access or did they say he needed to pay so they CAN get it....

Huge prayers going out for you and him. He must feel terrible and he shouldn't. He is a victim of a crime.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks Step. The company already knows -- no idea how they discovered it, whether it was husband that figured it out or someone else. He's not responding to my texts for info and he said he couldn't talk when I called him back to get more details.

Man I am so worried about his butt getting canned today. That would just really bite hard. My head is spinning in overdrive trying to figure out all of our options if the worst happens...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Buddy, he really did give them remote access. :hammer: Part of me is screaming "HOW CAN YOU BE SO STUPID?!!!" Hopefully they will see it was bad judgement and not malicious intent and give him a break on this.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
OK he's sent me a text saying not to worry, he's not getting fired over this.:whew: Whew... tell that to my stomach that's still churning! We may need to cancel the credit card he used to be safe from any future garbage from those people.

That's quite enough drama for the rest of the month, please! :holymoly:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL I hope the drama's over for you.

Most companies are pretty good about it if you fess up as soon as you can. They understand that people make mistakes.

MOST companies.

Malika

I'm glad your husband's company were reasonable. He may have made an error of judgement but he was hardly guilty of culpable intent (that would warrant being fired). Take a deep breath in!

susiestar

Roll With It
I just saw this and am glad he isnt' getting canned. these people are SUPER slick because it is what they do all day - they spend as much time doing this as your husband spends doing his job. I am glad the co is understanding and not firing him. I know that awful scared feeling. (((((hugs)))))

S

Signorina

I am so glad it worked out. If you haven't all ready- call your cc company and tell them you were scammed & the charge is fraudulent. They will remove it

gcvmom

Here we go again!
husband called Amex right away this morning. They are suspending the charge and investigating, so no worries. I told him he needs to call them back and ask about a replacement card since those miscreants have his info now!

H

HaoZi

Oy vey what a mess. Glad company seems to be taking it as a live and learn thing and maybe pointed out their own security flaws, too.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Glad he won't lose his job over it. Honestly though, if they had enough info to sound legit, I'm wondering if perhaps it wasn't a past employee. And if I thought of that, they probably have too.

Man! What a scare.

((hugs))