Horrible, stupid tragedy

mstang67chic

Going Green
I had the news on this morning as I was getting ready for work. Yesterday, pretty much all the schools in the area closed because of fog. Some high school age boys were hanging out at one boy's house in a small town the next county over. Evidently, they were in the garage of the one boy's house...it had been kind of done over as an extra "play" space...tv, heat, etc. One of the boys there found a shotgun in a cabinet and decided to get it out. Not knowing (or checking) if it was loaded or not he "racked" it (right term?), pointed it at one of his friends and pulled the trigger. The boy who was shot, died.

This has been on my mind all day. One of the girls I work with lives in this town and her daughter knows both boys.

It's just such a tragedy and so incredibly stupid!!! We live in a fairly rural area and a lot of people hunt. They also start drilling safety things into the kids at school almost from day one. I just can't understand how someone could be so careless as to do this. Of course I feel horrible for the family of the boy that died. I also feel for the boy that shot him. It was such a horrible act of stupidity and he will have to live with it for the rest of his life. But for the life of me..............WHY?????

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Yea, mustang, I heard this too.....exactly why I never wanted guns in my home.....to easy to be stupid and end up being sorry for the rest of your life.....what a tradgedy for all involved.......

DammitJanet

That was incredibly stupid to play with guns. It is a lesson drilled into my kids from the time they could walk and talk that guns were not toys and you do not touch the guns for any reason. I know I will get slammed but we keep loaded guns in the house. After the theft, they are now in a locked gun box but they are still easily accessible to us should we need to get to them. But until then, we had loaded shotguns sitting in the corner of my bedroom the whole time my boys were growing up. They never dreamed of touching them without permission. Oddly enough this was the one thing that Cory never tested the limits on. He knew he wanted to be able to go hunting and if he messed up he would lose it.