H

HaoZi

A lot of difficult children go off their rocker this time of year. Time changes, light changes, allergen changes, etc. The Saturday thing makes me wonder what differences there are from school to home, and food would certainly be on the list. So would a sleep change, since many kids stay up later on Fridays.

Glad his sis is okay, they're idiots for suggesting you take him home like that. Did they even suggest sis press charges and have him remanded into custody as somewhere to place him for family safety in the meantime?

svengandhi

Adderall XR made my Aspie incredibly violent. I flushed it down the toilet when I caught him with his hands around his youngest brother's neck (they are 8 1/2 years apart, the little one could have been killed or seriously injured since he was only about 7). Within a couple of days, he was back to his usual self. I put him back on regular Adderall. We never had an episode like that before or after.

buddy

hope you are home and safe. I know you sent me a msg saying he was finally transferred to the adolescent unit....I hope they keep him a while and have some ideas for what is going on for you. I was wondering. AT hospital where my difficult child is there is a social worker. She said we are easy becasue we already have services set up but maybe there is one there??? She said her job is to coodinate and be a point of communication and then to make sure there are follow up services after the hospital. I had to sign many releases for her(well nto had to but did so things could be communicated all around)

Crystal72

So I am hearing that the rest of the week is, well, managable....but every Saturday is a pattern of upset? Is it all about the computer? And the other issue you had told us about? Seems like a behavior analysist in this case (and only if trained on Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) thinking and patterns) would be super helpful. Some of the easiest plans are made when a behavior is so predictable. But not easy to do alone because if they get violent you need support. Especially at the beginning of a plan when they usually get worse before they get better.

I am hoping they can get this for you.... Have you called to leave a message saying what is happening, they wont answer today but fill up their machine with crisis calls.... Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all....

Yes he was not perfect during the week but manageable. Saturday is always the issue,you know lose of weekday's routine. It's not always about computer even though that's the core.he would go around damaging everything

Crystal72

Totally left curve idea here, and this would be on top of other suggestions, not instead of, but..

If you're seeing a halloween jinx... halloween candy is among the worst for strong colors and food dyes... any chance of that being one more part of the problem?

I say Halloween jinx cos it always happen this time. Even before he gets to the candies.

Crystal72

I'm guessing your AS son is the tween/teen? (sorry I don't know the background I don't get into general too often these days
The military was perfect for my AS husband, but it's not going to be a good fit for everyone.......even if it's the school environment. And you'd have to make certain the school could both understand his diagnosis and cope with it appropriately. Otherwise, I see it being an epic fail with difficult child coming out the loser.
Glad the psychiatrist helped push through the admit. I'd ask for a county social worker, or a mental health social worker to see about getting him AND you some wrap around services at home.

((hugs))

We were discharged last year with completely nothing too.

Crystal72

A lot of difficult children go off their rocker this time of year. Time changes, light changes, allergen changes, etc. The Saturday thing makes me wonder what differences there are from school to home, and food would certainly be on the list. So would a sleep change, since many kids stay up later on Fridays.
Glad his sis is okay, they're idiots for suggesting you take him home like that. Did they even suggest sis press charges and have him remanded into custody as somewhere to place him for family safety in the meantime?

No, the resident psychiatrist told the social worker to tell me to bring him home,just give him the freaking computer and he will give you peace.... I told her its going to be over my death body cos I have a 6 years old too. No way

Crystal72

Adderall XR made my Aspie incredibly violent. I flushed it down the toilet when I caught him with his hands around his youngest brother's neck (they are 8 1/2 years apart, the little one could have been killed or seriously injured since he was only about 7). Within a couple of days, he was back to his usual self. I put him back on regular Adderall. We never had an episode like that before or after.

That was what I trying to tell the psychiatrist! His aggression all begins after the change of adderrall to adderrall xr. This child of mine was never violent. But why? They are same thing basically

Crystal72

hope you are home and safe. I know you sent me a msg saying he was finally transferred to the adolescent unit....I hope they keep him a while and have some ideas for what is going on for you. I was wondering. AT hospital where my difficult child is there is a social worker. She said we are easy becasue we already have services set up but maybe there is one there??? She said her job is to coodinate and be a point of communication and then to make sure there are follow up services after the hospital. I had to sign many releases for her(well nto had to but did so things could be communicated all around)

Hey, I got your mail
I was so tired last night and my husband was bugging me about hospital bill and the teenager was bugging me with her Halloween party. I just think they are ridiculously stupid

Crystal72

Thanks for the hugs and supports. Ds is now in the children unit of the pediatric psychiatric hospital.
He freaked out when he was there. I told him he needs to try to accept help and not just block it away.

buddy

Oh Crystal, What a mess. You have the right to discontinue a medication. You just tell them you want him off the aderall xr. period. If that is what you think you are likely right. Now that he has learned some of these behaviors you might have some work to do to undo them, but at least you will have a chance if the thing that is driving it is removed. So, my son always has issues at school on Monday with the routine change too. I wonder if you have a very consistent schedule and routine for him like school if that could help? Just a thought... breakfast at same time as weekdays, some reading from X-Y time, free play from Z-A time etc.??? just a thought. Obviously the medications first.
sorry hub is putting money ahead of son's health and families health. He will get over it. (smile) You done good!

buddy

gift from god...this site uses it to keep kids anonymous and identify which child(ren) is/are the ones with the issues.

buddy

doctors will say that, but we all know in real life that is not true. my son has trouble with short acting ritalin...huge rebound at end of dose so xr (concerta form) works better. why not the opposite, if a child can't handle it being in him for a long time....maybe traces of it stay in him even longer than they think so his body never gets a break...who knows. Everyone metabolizes things differently and you are the expert. Just tell them you want to know and if there is no difference then go back to short acting and compare. Easy way to see. The other issue may be just that his body can't handle THAT entire kind of medication anymore. My son can't use adderal. it doesn't work at all. Ritalin and Concerta work for him well though.

Why just on saturday? in my humble opinion, many kids on the spectrum need and are comfortable in a routine (even if they dont like what they are doing) have a hard time changing and so that first day off is a huge deal. It could be that of all the days at school, for him Monday might be a little harder too but maybe not since they are probably so consistent in their routine and he is used to it. I have seen this many times with my son. School knows Monday is a wash. He always has trouble getting into their routine and I simply dont have the things they have to keep him in their routine. NO gym, no pool, no long halls for walks, etc. He is really rigidly scheduled there so he comes home, gets to do our routine which is not stressful for him because it is mostly his high interest areas, and then he goes back to school and it is a huge shift. Very common issue with kids on the spectrum.

T

TeDo

But if it's the adderall xr, why just Saturday? The psychiatrist insisted its no difference between adderall and adderall xr..

I'm not sure about why Saturday but there are several things that could be making it worse than other days. Does he get up at the same time as he does on school days? Does he take his medications at exactly the same times on Saturdays? The change in routine and expectations (or possibly a lack of any) from weekday to weekend could be enough for some. Is he as physically active on Saturdays as he is on school days? If not, he might not be metabolizing the medication the same since physical exercise has a tendency to speed up metabolism. There are all kinds of possible explanations.

The "XR" in Adderall XR stands for "extended release" meaning it is release in the body over a longer period of time. Ask the doctor "then why is one extended release and the other one isn't if there is NO difference?" He will probably try to confuse you with some story to try to sway your decision the way he wants it. Maybe your son needs the faster in-faster out version. His body might not be metabolizing the XR as well.

difficult child stands for Gift From God. It's kind of tough in cheek for the "gift" we have been given.

Crystal72

We just visited our difficult child. It's scary. The other kid name Tim was admitted last year same
time and he is there now too. And when I checked the date, it was the same oct 29.

L

Liahona

I think buddy's idea of a schedule is a good one. I don't think the doctors really know all the whys of what the differences in medications do. Why it works for one kid but not another. Why the generic works for one but the kids sibling has to have the name brand. We are still learning much.

You are doing a great job. Hope the phos helps.