Hot flashes

K

Kjs

I know I have asked before and had some really good suggestions. But this is just driving me absolutely crazy.

I have tried several anti depressants that are suppose to help with Hot Flashes, only to have weight gain and I don't want that.

I have tried Hormone replacement pills. I tried a lotion the Dr. gave me for hot flashes. For the past year I have had a HRT patch, recently upping the dosage.

It is 90 degrees outside and I will be sweating one minute and freezing (because I am all wet from sweating!!!). My house is air conditioned. I have several big comforters on the bed because I am so cold. But not for long, soon I have sweat rolling off my entire body. Then back to freezing.
Same at work. It is cold in data centers, with the cool air blowing up from the floor. I have a little heater I put a foot from my face. then I get a hot flash / freezing...my co-workers think I am nuts. When I do wear my glasses I swear they literally steam up during a hot flash.

I even had the heat on in my car last night. (remember I work nights)

There has got to be a solution to this. And how many years will I have the hot flashes??? Been 4 years since surgery.

klmno

Just wanted to send HUGS! I don't know that there is a solution- I've had these for 3 years now- but I'll watch this thread to see what others think...LOL!

dreamer

sending hugs but no answers. I have always been a very hot person, keep house 60-65 in winter, and run around in a very tiny sleeveless loose nitey and am still too warm....in summer...ACK, I want to die I get so hot......(and the air in my house and car are both broken)
ANd then a few months ago, I began to get these dreaded hotflashes. ACK! The whole family is already freezing, I am near nekkid and there I am sweat dripping into my eyes, yes, my glasses fog up------it is awful. Reaching into fridge and grabbing ice cubes and shoving them into my clothes and holding them to my face while my kids giggle at me. drinking water that is more ice than water.....and none of it REALLY helps at all.
I am sending you hugs.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Good suggestions by Loth. I have got to make my way to the health store.

A tip for night............

Sleep with your feet out from under the covers. You won't believe how much that helps. Weird. But I swear it does make a difference, especially when you're doing the hot flash / freezing thing.

I'm doing it without air conditioning. *pant* Getting to where I simply stand up and I'm drenched. I have to have a fan directly on me while sitting. I do not share the fan. lol Finally gave up and let husband put in the a/c in our bedroom. I just couldn't take it anymore. :(

SRL

I've taken up ice skating for exercise. I'm sure I'm a sorry sight but it sure feels cool out there.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
No idea -- I got hot flashes the first two years I was on my antidepressant, but they finally subsided. Oh yeah, and when my kids were babies and being breastfed, I could pretty much time their feeds by my hotflashes and irritability -- if I was more than a few minutes late for their feeding, I'd break out in a MAJOR sweat and bite off anyone's head who looked at me the wrong way!

I can hardly wait for the REAL ones to hit.

I've always heard about soy and black cohosh... I think they have phytoestrogens in them that help the symptoms.

Do you try to dress in layers?

Abbey

Spork Queen
KJS, if you find the magic solution...PLEASE let me know.

That is exactly the cycle. I'm throwing every flipping cover off of me, my bed is wet from sweat, then all of a sudden I am FREEZING!! Mine tend to happen fairly early in the morning.

I keep trying to describe it to husband. Why? Don't know. (He's got his fingers in his ears at this point saying...I can't hear you...)

It's an internal heat. I would lay on our cold leather couch or tile floor and it wouldn't make a difference.

So, if you find the magic answer, you'll make millions.

Abbey

KTMom91

Kjs, I need that magic solution as well. And if ONE MORE person me I'm too young to start having hot flashes, I'm going to kick them with my good leg!

fuddleduddledee

I'm getting the hot flashes now too. I work with the elderly and I've asked some of the old ladies how long they last. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but some of them in their 80's are still getting them. Some days I wish I had been born a male. :sweating:

janebrain

I am taking Estratest HS and Progesterone because my hot flashes were exhausting me. I don't care about the possible side effects because I was just too miserable without the drugs. Along with hot flashes all night long I had migraine headaches, absolutely no sex drive (in fact I found the thought of sex repulsive) and I was depressed. Menopause is so much fun!

The Estratest has testosterone in it and I think that is what has helped me have a sex drive again and the estrogen part keeps the hot flashes to a minimum--I only have a couple of them a night now instead of every 1/2 hour or so.

I feel for you--
Jane

Ahhhhh....... Power surges :)

First of all I embrace the surge - seriously - I focus on it and try a little meditation if it's possible-

I wear layers and wicking type material at night...

And.... the covers flip on and off all night long. Poor husband.

Seriously though, my power surges are now like an old friend who suddenly arrived last year and doesn't show any signs of leaving. And interestingly enough, this friend doesn't like for me to drink wine. I do miss it. When I gave up the wine, the number of flashes diminished tremendously.

Star*

call 911........call 911
We now take you to Gotham City where our heroine The Human Barbie Q. is purchasing an 8000 BTU air conditioner that promises to blow snow in the den. And here comes her partner in (isn't menopause a) crime prevention I.C. Girl holding up the last artic ice shelf to off set those hot Barbie Q. Flashes.

When we last left our 2 mental-pause ladies they were cruising the boulevard at Bed, Bath and Beyond for a thermal, warming to -110 degree, Antartic, bed comforter (with matching dust ruffles that would flap in a breeze for added air flow) and sipping each on a HOT cup of soup and a Cold Mikes Hard Lemonade, popping chocolate Dove squares like they were pez (write that idea down - Dove chocolate dispenser) and both complaining that there really isn't an island you can put men on once you are done with those loving feelings. (cue Righteous Bros' you've got those loving feelings song)

As BBQ and IC Girl (you should see the costumes) are riding with the top going up and down and up and down on their new Cadillac convertible with the ac blasting one minute and the heat hot enough to cook a goose on the floorboards - we realized that our heroines didnt have any.........

(your turn)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh wow, there are so many of us in the same boat.

A "Chillow" under my pillow helps me with the hot flashes at night...when I get hot I shove my hands under my pillow, sometimes my whole head and cool off. It's usually enough to ease the heat. BUT, my feet are always like ice. Here is it in late July and I'm still wearing socks to bed with the AC blasting. H and I fight over the use of fans and AC all summer long. I win. He has to shut it up.

My gyno says that if I exercise to the point of moderate to heavy sweating during the day, it will ease the hot flashes the rest of the time. It does help, though it's not a cure all. And I know everyone groans when they read about the exercise, but seriously, it does help.

She also suggested drinking lots of water and staying up on my supplements - all of that helps I think because when I run out of supplements the first thing I notice is the hot flashes, night sweats and witchiness.

I've tried the black cohosh, but taking my oils has helped me more. I take evening primrose, vitamin E and flaxseed oil and without them, I'd be a mess.

Best of luck~I do not think there is any one cure-all for any one person. But try things until you at least feel some relief.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Hormone Replacement helps me a lot-I am dreading the day they tell me I have to stop because my hot flashes were horrible. I really only deal with them in the middle of the night anymore and they aren't too bad. I hope you find something that works for you.

TerryJ2

As BBQ and IC Girl (you should see the costumes) are riding with the top going up and down and up and down on their new Cadillac convertible with the ac blasting one minute and the heat hot enough to cook a goose on the floorboards - we realized that our heroines didnt have any.........

(your turn)

margarita mix, so they turned around and went back to Bed, Bath & Beyond and bought a supersize Turbocharged MargaritaMaker with-a special ice cube attachment that connects directly to the city water line. ($15 a mo. extra on the water bill, but who cares?)
Discovering that both red and white wine made their hot flashes more intense, but tequila cooled them off, they added black cohosh, soy, flax seed oil and St. John's Wort to the Turbocharged MargaritaMaker and fired it up, attaching it by a handy, travel-sized welding kit to the manifold. (This was not easy, considering that the ice was directly hooked up to the city water supply, but Barbie Q. and I.C. Girl are actually rocket scientists in their spare time.)
With the roof alternately opening and closing at various intervals, and the sounds of the Turbocharged MargaritaMaker outdoing the loudest bass from the kids in the next car, our heroines noticed a flashing blue light in their rear view mirror.
They dutifully pulled over, and as the officer reached for Barbie Q's driver's license, the hood of the car closed on his wrist,

causing ...

your turn

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
altoids? Peppermint patties?

sorry I am 36 and I am still trying Occupational Therapist (OT) figure out if I am already starting the change

KTMom91

(my turn!)
...much confusion for the observers, since a fountain of blended margarita was erupting from the car. The more clever observers ran towards the car with glasses ready, while the slower ones were left out. While Barbie Q was pacifying the officer, IC Girl ran to Los Deliciosos on the corner, ordered an extra large chips and salsa and three party platters, to be delivered ASAP. By the time IC Girl returned, the officer was feeling better and had asked for Barbie Q's cell number. The kids in the next car were staying close by with their glasses ready and the music playing. Soon the Commissioner heard the commotion, and luckily, he had a margarita glass handy. The party platters and the Commissioner arrived about the same time. The commissioner filled his glass, declared the streets closed, and then...

(next?)

BusynMember

I never really had the flashes, but I would be hot all the time, which I hadn't been before "the change." I found that keeping fans all around was really helpful. I just fired them up whenever I felt I needed them. Also, I heard caffeine is a no-no.
I'm on Paxil and have been for over a decade. I think that's why I had a very easy time going thru menopause. It DID cause weight gain, but I dieted off the pounds.
For me, this started around age 51 and now at 53 it is MUCH better. And I sure don't miss my period :)