Hot toddy?

Lothlorien

Got any recipes for a good one? I have had no voice for three/four days now. It's getting cold and I'd love to have one....

This bartender at a restaraunt that I used to work at once made me something with this disgusting taste. It had worschtechire/bitters, but it helped a little.

I prefer something warm with spked with rum or something.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Strong tea with milk, honey, and a healthy snort of dark rum works very well. You can use spiced rum if you like that sort of thing.

DammitJanet

Well...I have two.

Now Tonys grandmother who was a 100% American Indian swore by putting rock candy or peppermints in moonshine and letting it sit until the candies melted away. Then you stick that concoction in the freezer to get it good and cold, take it out, drink you a big ole slug and then go to bed with lots of covers over you and sweat the cold out of you.

The other is:

Hot apple cider
spiced rum
lemon juice

Mix the above together and the more spiced rum you use and the faster you get into the aforementioned bed with the covers over you, the faster you will get better!

K

Kjs

I haven't heard that in years. My parents wouldn't buy cough and cold medicine it was:

Hot Tea, Honey and brandy.

For Cramps...Asprin and Wine

Teething pain: My dad would put Whiskey on his finger and rub the gums.

Stomach ache: Blackberry Brandy.

They actually gave us this. But when you are a kid, and sick..this stuff is horrible.

If we did this, we would probably be arrested!

susiestar

Roll With It
With my 2 oldest the only thing that we COULD use was whiskey on the gums. They broke out in huge painful lumps with the teething gel. doctor told us whiskey was the only thing to try. We used brandy on difficult child when the ear pain got to bad and the docs were no help. Usually his pain was worst about a day BEFORE the docs would say he was infected. therapist thinks this is part of his problem, that he had so many ear infections that were so painful before they got treatment.

But he got what we could, and with some food in his tummy a tsp of brandy did the trick. He could sleep for a few hours then.

Jess got brandy one time for gas pains. Nothing else worked, but it was what my great aunt always recommended, and my parents too. So I let gma give her a spoonful of brandy. She HATES the stuff! To this day she remembers it burning and will not go NEAR any alcohol. Not the reaction I expected, but hey, it works for me!!!

Susie

Star*

call 911........call 911
Coat the bottoms of your feet with Vics Vapo rub at night and cover with cotton socks all night.

Drink a cup of hot tea, with a Tsp. of lemon, a Tsp. of honey and either mix in 1 measured shot of Bourbon or drink straight. (Like Jack Daniels)
Take a Contac 12 hour cold capsule - and when you wake up you will have your voice back.

Also I take EXTREME amounts of vitamin C during these times. You pee it out so you can't overdose but it certainly helps your bodies immune system help itself. I take 3500 -5000 mg of it when I feel myself getting a cold or sore throat.

Hope this helps.

Hope you feel better.
Star

goldenguru

Really strong brewed tea with-hone & lemon and a really generous shot of whiskey.

My grandma used to make them for me. I don't know that it had any medicinal purposes ... but I sure slept great.