How are you surviving the heat?

:capitulate: I have to stay inside, I can't breathe. I was outside yesterday for 2 hours...four hours after i got home I still had trouble breathing, I always thought I was a healthy person. Temp 104, heat index, 122. Come on.....I'm at the beach! Today I ran 2 errands, forget it, I have to stay inside.

Lots of ice water and like you being realistc how much I can do. I am very sensitive to the heat. It is "cooler" here in Fl. than up Northl. Only 94 an heat index over 100. I am slowing down and stayng in the cool inside, lying down.

Mattsmom277

Was out in the sun for several hours, sweating like crazy. Came home to the a/c and made ice smoothies with strawberries. Was so refreshing after the outside temps. Spending a ton of time indoors is making it bearable for me

keista

Yup, in FL not so bad right now, but usually it's as bad as what you're getting. Northerners 'hibernate' in the winter, well, here in FL we 'hibernate' in the summer. Really we can't just kick the kids out the door and 'make' them play outside. We do that in January. In summer we only go out and do what is NECESSARY, otherwise we stay inside in the AC. At least here in my county, a house that does NOT have central air will NOT qualify for section 8 assistance. I thought that was ludicrous when I first heard it, but after my second summer here, I understood.

Again, we're getting a reprieve right now because you guys have it so bad - this past winter we had a few days where it was colder down here than up there - I think these things are related - major climate shift maybe?

Stay in the AC, make outside trips as short as possible, and even while in the AC make sure to stay plenty hydrated.

DammitJanet

Its hot as heck out here! I feel so bad for Tony and his buddies who are having to work out in it. He comes home just wiped out.

Today we had to take a dryer back to the place we bought it last weekend because of all things, the heating element was staying on the entire time it was plugged in...talk about a fire hazard! As we were driving home, the truck started to overheat. What else could go wrong? In this 100+ heat, our poor little truck is overheating. This is the truck my dad left to me. So we limp it off the interstate to a gas station and give it water. We dont know quite what is wrong but we limped it home by stopping every 3 or 4 miles until we got it home. This truck has always had a wonderful ac but now we had to come home without one and stopping constantly in the heat! Poor baby truck...we think its the thermometer and the radiator needs to be routed out. Crossing fingers.

Now Im back in my house and Im sitting in front of the fan and not moving!

DDD

Another Floridian who is thankful we aren't in the heat wave. The advice others have given is great. The only thing I can add is do not wear too many clothes. I've lived sans a/c in the past...thank heavens not now...but in addition to hydrating, eating light etc. wear light weight clothes at home. I used to wear a "wife beater" and cotton shorts sans the underwear. I'm sorry you guys are unexpectedly having to live in the temporary tropics. Hugs. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanking my lucky stars that husband bought 2 new ac units last year which made is so we could "afford" to run the darn things. Our temp dropped this afternoon from 94 to 88 and I was like "ohhhh, it's so cooool outside" ugh (that's bad) I planted my tomatoes then. lol Still dripped with sweat, literally, thanks to the humidity that just will not go away.

In the heat I crave water, which is good. In high humidity I have issues breathing that I never had before, so I stay inside. I mean when walking 12 feet makes you gasp for breath, there is a problem. I'm out of shape, but I'm not THAT out of shape. As long as this humidity is staying high, we're doing only what we have to do outside.

TerryJ2

Janet's note reminded me--outdoor city workers were sent home, or not put on jobs at all in the past cpl days.

Mattsmom277

The humidity has caused me breathing issues a few times this past week too. Never has that happened to me since I had asthma as a teen, which I thought I'd outgrew or some such thing. Even with a breeze and the temps lower than the insane day or two earlier this week, the humidity is such that breathing is not fun. It had me in a not good mood as I waited for a taxi today from the grocery store alongside a 94 year old woman. She was quite the character and treating those around her like servants, but with grace, you ever meet those type of elderly women? It was quite entertaining, I enjoyed her and watching everyone do her bidding. Of course the first taxi was mine and I was dying of heat and humidity but she was 94 (and proudly telling all!). She was light relief in a moment I was witchy and peaked. Then the taxi driver refused to assist her in finding her lost cane, which led me back into the store to try to find it, finally the driver followed and literally YELLED at the cashiers in a loud bellow, "Anyone seen a old ladies cane". Manager was there already looking from my asking around, she tells the driver here take this pen and paper and get the womans name and number and we'll call her and I'll personally deliver the cane when we find it. Again, this guy YELLS and says "I"m a taxi driver, I don't got time for this". And he goes charging off to drive the woman away without the cane and no contact info left with the store manager. I tell you all, I was in a mood to begin with about the heat and steaming, I charged after this yokel and gave him a huge piece of my mind. S/O's mouth dropped, no kidding. I was that angry and let him have it. The manager followed and got the womans information which was a darn good thing, as I'd stood in front of the taxi's front end telling the driver to show respect for this customer and help her to retrieve her walking device! ARGH! Heat brings out the ARRRRR in me I guess. The woman smiled at me in a way that made me sense she thought my display of rage tickled her funny bone. I on the other hand had to be home a good 20 minutes of cooling off before my temper too cooled off. I'm thinking there might be good moments to get overheated in this type of humid weather. Like around our ex's, or difficult child relatives we bite our tongue around, idiot bosses, annoying neighbors, etc.

TerryJ2

Mattsmom and others with-breathing problems, I am so sorry. It's hard to breathe anyway in this humidity, but I can only imagine ...

Mattsmom, what a story! lol! I'm sure that lady was tickled, indeed, to see fireworks coming from you on her behalf.

BusynMember

I don't like heat, being a cold weather person from frosty Wisconsin. I mostly stay in unless I have to run chores, then keep my car air conditioner on.

We went to Six Flags last Friday and I was afraid it was going to be another day of 100+ with the heat index. Instead in rained hard all morning (but silly us went anyway). It stopped by 1pm and we had a lovely day, much cooler, so we didn't bake in the sun. I really hope the oven in Wisconsin is turned off soon! I'll take the ice box anyday over this.

Everyone, please take care and stay cool. It's dangerous when it's so hot. Those with asthma or other breathing issues, please stay indoors. You all mean so much to me!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm out in it - working!!!!! Sweating......trying to loose those last pesky 50 pounds....pesky, pixy, poundamona....BRING ON THE SNOW!!!!!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Star, I dunno how you do it cuz I know it's far hotter down there than here. I used to be able to do it. I used to be one of those people who snubbed AC. Actually I still don't care for it much, tends to give me headaches. But I certainly couldn't be out working in this heat we've had. Especially with the breathing deal. I did get some tomatoes planted yesterday, was so proud of myself.

It doesn't help that we seem to jump from winter to ungodly summer heat with no inbetween time to adjust to the warmer temps.

If you're sweating as much as I was sweating, you'll lose the pounds. lol

A storm front this afternoon dropped us to 76 degrees. We haven't even been seeing that at night. Humidity is still way high, due to the storm front. But Next few days are supposed to be mid to upper 80's. omg it will be COOL out. lol

Steely

Its 105 here and Tesla continues to insist on taking her afternoon walk by barking non-stop. I love how once trained, always trained - not.:)

So I took her out yesterday and today to play ball in the desert, and both times, within 2 minutes, she is hiding in the shade of a desert scrub brush. And guess who ends up retrieving the ball??? Why won't she listen to me when I tell her it is too hot??? LOL

H

HaoZi

Shade, lots of cold drinks, a good breeze, and move as little as possible. A cool cloth on your neck helps keep the blood going to your brain from getting too hot.