How do YOU get over being wronged? Need help.

wanttohelp

When my sister left her husband and ran off with a married man in 1985 she was so ashamed that she never spoke to my father again until my mother got cancer in 1998 and she came over to help out, but she still never apologized or made up with him. That broke his and my mothers hearts, yet I stuck up for her that entire 13 years and kept trying to get the family back together. That is the only reason that she wasn't written out of my mother's will, and as soon as she got her hands on the money she dumped me and I haven't spoken to her since. But I'd do the same thing again I guess because what I did was the right thing to do.

I can understand your hurt that your sibs did not stick up for you. They were only looking out for themselves. I know that if the tables were turned in my situation my sister would have encouraged my family to forget about me so that I would be written out of the will and she would be the sole beneficiary. I KNOW it! That is just evil. But like I said before - she will get what is coming to her one day and that promise of justice keeps me going.

I'm so sorry for your pain.

MWM, I have had similar issues as you are describing and I do agree that it was very difficult to move on, specially since I felt very hurt and wronged and most of all, betrayed.

What helped me the most was journaling my feelings about what had occurred and why I felt the way I did. Later, I was able to go back to my journal (when I was a little less emotional) and reflect on what I had written.

I realized that there was nothing I could have done to remedy the situation, that I had done my best and there had been no resolution (at least of the kind that I had hoped for).

I tried to disengage, and it was very difficult, but I found that acknowledging that I was a good person, that I had tried my best, helped me let go of some of the anger and rage.

It sounds as if your mother had issues and was unable to overcome them. Her pettiness and inability to move forward affected you. It is not your fault, but hers. You did what you had to do. Try to be happy with the fact that you did reach out and you are the bigger person. Easier said than done I know, but you deserve to be commended for having dealt with the situation in a mature and loving manner. Your mother appearantly did not have your capacity for moving forward. How sad for her to have missed out on a relationship with you.

((((((hugs))))))))

MWM,

I too am so sorry for your pain. After reading "wanttohelp's" post, I thought about it, and it pains me to think that so many families stop talking over love and money.

My EX's brother died in 99. He was 23 years old. He left behind his fiancee and a 1 year old son, who was my Godson. Just to set up the story a little: he was the youngest of 5 kids, all boys, so the baby of the family. His death was a freak accident. He had just gotten his CDL and crashed his semi into a guardrail. Died instantly.

Needless to say, the family was devastated. None moreso than mother in law. It was not so long after he died that the fiancee started seeing someone else. mother in law was fuming. She felt that it was disrespectful to her son's memory. She was only 22, and while I agree that it was pretty disrespectful, she too was pretty young. And never on her own before. SO when the entire family stopped talking to her, and I still did, mother in law stopped talking to me and my EX (whom I was still married to at the time). She viewed us as traitors.

If we planted flowers at the gravesite, she would yank them out. She went to court to try and get her son's social security benefits, that were being sent to the fiancee for their child, sent to them because they did not like how she was spending it. She did not talk to us for three years. She missed the birth of Tink. She did not start seeing her until DEX and I split up (because then they DEX and mother in law could get together and pretend that it was all me).

As time went by, I stopped talking to the fiancee as well, because I was voicing my displeasure at her jumping from guy to guy, and she did not want to hear it. I have not seen my Godson in ages.

I have forgiven mother in law and the fiancee. I have forgiven DEX too. He was the hardest, I keep having to see him.

So I hope I didn't bore you. I was just marveling at how often families get messed up over money and love. Tis a shame.

BusynMember

No, you didn't bore me at all. You helped. It makes me see how petty these things really are when I read about somebody else. I need to work on getting over this in my life.
Thank you also, Teri. I *was* trying to take the biggest steps and forgive her for all she did to me--I even took 100% of the blame, but she didn't want my forgiveness. It felt good when you pointed out that I did try to be the better person. I can't control her reaction to it and I'm starting to see that she must have been pretty damaged to have cut off her daughter and grandchildren over $5000. The thing is, she could have easily afforded the tax on it, but she wanted to make ME give the money to my son and not give any to my other kids. I think so anyways. Truly, I don't get it. I would never pit my kids against one another. She didn't really want me and my sister to be close--she got her wish. Oh, well.

blb

MWM,

I just had this conversation with my husband last night, regarding my own mother, an extremely toxic individual. This is a bit long, I apologize, but there is a point at the end of it, I promise.

Six years ago she was diagnosed suddenly with a brain tumor (lung cancer that metasticized to her brain) and had emergency surgery. A month later she had a lobectomy to take the original tumor out of her lung. She wound up with stroke-like weakness on one side of her body because she let the symptoms of the brain tumor go on for months without going to a doctor about it.

When all was said and done after the two surgeries, the goal was to get her into a top rated intensive rehab so that she could work on her muscle strength for her weakened side...or so I thought until the day before the move was to have taken place, and she bailed. I was in charge of setting up doctors, appointments, soup to nuts.

Told me outright that I wanted to "stick her in there and throw away the key," and instead opted for outpatient therapy against the advice of docs. Tried, rather successfully I might add, to turn my siblings against me in my effort to get my mother into the rehab. It shouldn't have surprised me though, for years this had been her MO.

Background: Mom raised my siblings in dysfunctional lunacy with my now deceased father (she's BiPolar (BP)/narcissistic I believe, he was just an outright whacked, violent alcoholic.) Anyone in control of their life, someone that did not "need" her, she viewed as a threat.

I was the first born when she got knocked up by my father at 19 in college. She dropped out, had me, they divorced six months later because he beat her and she emasculated him, then 10 years later refound each other and remarried again, and had four more kids. Twelve years later, after massive physical and emotional violence against each other (they were lifers), and the kids, they divorced again. I came back home in 1990 to help my mother with the sibs.

Flash forward to 2007, and after 6 years of her doing it her way and me stepping back (really running away) from the various lunacy that has ensued as her health continued to deteriorate (she can't even use the bathroom by herself) due to neglect at the hands of my siblings and self-neglect by her, guess who suddenly wants my help now??

And me, the idiot, :hammer: helped. I took her to a doctor's appointment two days ago, and it was back to the negative comments, the putdowns, the subtle jabs (where thank you really means f&^k you :crazy: )

My husband put it clearly to me last night while I was telling him about the latest onslaught in tears--even if I wound up getting my mother the rehab she needs now so that she looked like a movie star and ran marathons, she will never, ever credit me for doing anything positive in her life.

It will instead be "Thank God for your brother xxxxx," (the loser one who defaulted on his college loans and made my virtually penniless mother pay them) or "I couldn't have done it without your sister yyyyy." (who ignored her in her wheelchair while she froze at sis' outdoor wedding but plays the victim-child of a sick mother routine pretty well for those who don't know her personally)

That I basically am the living, breathing version of Charlie Brown getting ready to kick the ball from Lucy, and that no matter how many times I head for the ball, my foot will never see it through the goal posts. To think that will change is lunacy itself.

I've had to forgive my mother over and over again. For the last six years by basically ignoring her. But after one weekend visit in which she was on her best behavior two weeks ago, it's back to same old same old behavior that I know and despise.

It sounds to me like your mother was very bitter because you would not do what she said, and then withheld affection because you refused to do what she wanted you to. been there done that :rolleyes: And because your sibs were perhaps more interested in staying in line with your mom for whatever their reasons were (for mine it is clearly $$$) they were not willing to upset the apple cart.

But you alone did what no one else in your family had the nerve to do. You stood up to her instead. And they all know you did and that you stood up for them too when need be.

So in order to forgive yourself I think you need to remember in your heart that you were the brave one when you didn't have to be, and your mother knew that too and sounds like she was mighty po'd that you dared to look behind the curtain and question the Mighty Oz--oh well, some folks would be happy to have raised independent thinkers that stood up for what they believed in.

And while she still stuck it to you from beyond the grave re the will (been there done that too re my Dad--oh well, wouldn't want his blood money anyway) bottom line was you refused to cave when you both were on terra firma.

And re your siblings, well, mine are cowards and weasels :rofl: that would sell their mother in a heartbeat if they thought they could make a buck out of it. And whether they like me (doubtful) or not, they know I can't be bought or sold, but they can be, and they know that I know that too. :smile:

Many hugs to letting go of the injustice of it all and celebrate the strength that you showed when you could have just taken the easy way out.

C.J.

My bad relationship was with my dad. He's been dead 25 years now, and nine years before that, my mom divorced the wife abusing, child abusing, skirt chasing bum. I'm the oldest of his five children, and he didn't bother to pay child support, telling my mom that when she couldn't feed and clothe her kids, she'd be back. HA! I went to work at 12 (babysitting) to help my mom pay the bills. We lived on what my mom and I were able to earn, welfare, food stamps, Christmas from the Salvation Army, unreliable cars, and bad neighborhoods.

Have I forgiven him? No...What kind of monster allows his 12 year old daughter to become a breadwinner? He never said he was sorry, he never repented, he never changed his ways. Have I forgotten him? No...though his horrible behavior shaped me in ways he never dreamed. I learned to stand up for myself, to face challenges, to not allow myself to be physically, verbally, or emotionally abused. I am a strong, healthy woman today because I wanted to never hear, "You're just like your dad."

As the quarter century has passed, his name comes up less and less. He never saw his children graduate from high school or college. He never attended his children's weddings. Another - better - man is called Grandpa. My three brothers don't batter their wives, they know I'd be the one they'd answer to after the police were through with them.

What I do have -- is the serenity that he no longer has the ability to hurt me. I don't know that I needed to forgive myself as some of the others have mentioned, but I needed to let myself pursue the happiness that life does offer. If I carried around the "my dad ruined my life" sign, instead of the "I'm in charge of my life and my happiness" sign, I'd be a much more miserable person. I chose to become a happy and healthy person.

BusynMember

I don't know what to say. You've barred your souls for me, and,yes, it REALLY helped me see this straight.
My sibs don't care about the money. They have plenty (more than me). My brother was/is a momma's boy---momma could do no wrong. He is 51, lives alone in an apartment, never owned anything in his life, although he is obviously a millionaire. He has never gone anywhere or had a relationship. He has Crohn's Disease and has limited his own life because he doesn't want to subject anyone to his illness. I felt so sorry for him for so long, and then acknowledged his bravery--he works full time, never took disability, and has considerable pain. However, he has given up on himself. I know several people with Crohns who are married with children, but he's just a very strange person. I highly suspect Aspergers (he was very advanced at a very young age and never had any friends--everyone made fun of him). I was his friend. As long as I was close to momma's beloved child, she was ok with me. She totally favored him.
My sister's need is to be the "favored" child. That's it. She wants everyone to see her as the good girl. My mother used to pick her up from college, drop her off at her apartment, and run off to see her boyfriend, leaving my sister alone, even on holidays. My sister would call ME when she needed help. She did it so often that my ex used to tell me to lie to her about how I can't help her, but she was my baby sister and I always tried.
My mom was a control freak and I dared to bring up the obvious mental illness and other problems on the family tree. Also, my grandmother favored me and would take my side. Because my grandmother took my side, I was known as "not caring about grandma." How? Well, even though I called her every day, took her shopping, spent quality time with her for her entire life, I "made her nervous and sick with your problems." Huh??? I never understand that and never will. My sister didn't speak to my grandma for years. It really hurt my grandma. Then when she because ill, my sister finally visited her in the hospital and my mom acted as if SHE were saintly towards my grandmother because she gave her a few years. When my beloved grandma passed on, my mom gave all of my grandma's furniture to my sister and upholstered it for her!!! Writing this is clensing...lol. It shows me how warped this was. My grandma favorted ME.
Yet my grandma also favored my biological son because he was "blood" and made it clear that, whatever I thought, she would leave money only to him, and not the other two children. Even though I know she loved me, she wanted to "stick it" to me, maybe because I adopted two kids and she thought I shouldn't have. I don't really know. I don't doubt her love, so how sick is this?
I am very grateful to all of you. This has given me a lot to chew on. It will be easier to work through this now. Since my mom's death two years ago it has been eating me alive. I need to go back to wear I was years ago when I decided "why do I care what they think?" I do miss my sister's company--she can be fun--however, it brings up bad memories when I talk to her. Also, she has the weird tendency to call the police on me when she's angry. She lives in Illinois, I live in WIsconsin, but she'l call MY police to say I'm "harassing" her. HUH? The police here (all two of them...lol) are my friends and clearly think she's nuts. I think she's trying to control me when she calls the cops. She doesn't call the cops of people in her community whom she doesn't like or who make her mad. LOL, thanks for giving me a chance to see how sick this is, how much I don't need it!!!
Hugs to all of you and please--keep the stories coming. I wish I could help all of you more--I will try harder.

Lothlorien

MWM
Just wanted to add in, here, how important it is to let things go. I have an aunt who is so bitter and angry toward her mother, who has been dead since 1983, that it affects her still. She regularly breaks down when she talks about her mother. She feels the need to talk about it regularly too. She is a devout Christian and knows the meaning of forgiveness. She thinks she's forgiven, but she definitely has not. It is a constant source of depression and bitterness for her. She is in her late 60's.

I'm setting this example for you, because you don't want to live in the shadow of this experience for the rest of your life. You don't want to end up like my aunt, who, despite having family all around her, is quite lonely and pushes people away, because of her bitterness that stems from this situation from her mother.

I know you've gotten a lot of good advice on how to let go and forgive, for your own self. I hope this example of a bitter, old and angry woman helps you see what the end result is from not being able to forgive. I hope you can find a way to let it go. What's done is done and cannot be undone. Wrong or right, you have to go on with your own life and forget about it. She's not in your life anymore to give you anymore heartache. If you let it bother you, then she's succeeded in irritating you long after her death, which is probably the reason she excluded you in the first place. Don't let her have that upper hand anymore.

DazedandConfused

I had to quote this written by CJ because it reflects so much of how I view myself as an adult in relation to my deceased Father and my childhood.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He never said he was sorry, he never repented, he never changed his ways. Have I forgotten him? No...though his horrible behavior shaped me in ways he never dreamed. I learned to stand up for myself, to face challenges, to not allow myself to be physically, verbally, or emotionally abused. I am a strong, healthy woman today because I wanted to never hear, "You're just like your dad."
</div></div>

It reminds me of the song, "Fighter" by Christina Aguilera
(A great song, by the way, for inspriration to move past wrongs done against you). Here's the chorus:

I am a fighter and I
I ain't goin' stop
There is no turning back
I've had enough

'Cause it makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
It makes me that much wiser
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Makes me that much smarter

Thought I would forget
But I remember
I remember
I'll remember, I'll remember

Thought I would forget
But I remember
I remember
I'll remember, I'll remember

'Cause it makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
It makes me that much wiser
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Makes me that much smarter

If people's personalities are shaped by experience, I sometimes wonder if I would be the same person if I had had a more nurturing, and loving, environment? My Dad, who was a lot like CJs, could be so very cruel to me. As an adult, I find that I cannot tolerate cruely of any kind in my presense. I also carry this into my work.

What I've tried to do is to take the negative experiences in my life and turn that into positive energy in which I might make this little blue ball of ours a better place because I was here.

This has been very healing to me.

DazedandConfused

Oh, and one more thing, MWM.

You absolutely did the right thing when it came to the 5 grand. I would have rejected it also. Had my Mother tried to circumvent my wishes by going directly to my child (and then calling him a liar to boot) my going off would have made the Mt. St. Helen's eruption look like a pimple popped. This Mama don't play that.

((((hugs))))

wakeupcall

This Mama wouldn't have played either. You were absolutely justified in doing what you did where the $5k was concerned.

TerryJ2

How ironic that your grandmother and mother chose to play favorites and became angry because you tired to express unconditional love!
It is clear that your family, as you said, has the divide and conquer mentality. It seems that you have worked through your own issues to avoid that in your own life. Bravo.
I am sorry that your mother got involved in it at all. From what you said, it was a gift to you, not her, and she needed to stay out of it.
Too late now. What's done is done.
You've gotten some wonderful advice here, not to mention sympathetic shoulders from people who have suffered through the same thing. You're a strong person and you've learned a lot from this. Take care of yourself and heal your heart.
:flower:

BusynMember

Another big thanks. This will help me get over the hump.
A long time ago, when I divorced, I meant a really quirky, strange and not-always-pleasant man, but something drew me to him even though he was strange (maybe my own strangeness?) LOL. When I told him about my family, he asked why I cared what they thought of me and why I even bothered with them? I was shocked. To me, well, this was FAMILY! You didn't stop talking to your family. He told me, "I refuse to talk to people who aren't nice to me. I don't care if it's my mother, my brother, my sister. You should be treated nicely."
After that conversation, I stopped caring and really moved on. The issue did not come back until my mother's death and when I saw the reaction of my siblings to my mom's treatment of me. It brought back all the hurt, but I don't need it. I need to hold my head up and move on from this crazy family. I feel somewhat sorry for my brother. He really has no life. I harbor some revenge feelings towards my sister. I know so much dirt on her--how she thought her husband gave her herpes (yes, he slept with her without telling her), about her two abortions, about her cocaine use--sometimes I want to blow her perfect cover in her town by telling people about her. Yet that would make me worse than all of them. I don't want to spend one more day worrying about these flawed people who never understood me and never will and who in my opinion needed my mother's approval in spite of who she was. Maybe they didn't see her the way I did--who knows? And who cares?
I'm thinking of going to some 12 Step meetings to refresh my memory on "letting go and letting God." No, I have never been a substance abuser, but the message works for so many things and right now I could use a little in-person support. I am grateful to all of you in this community.
Lastly, if you sent me a PM, I sent one back, but I'm not sure how it works. Please let me know if you didn't get one and I'll try again. (((Big hugs to all)))