How do you handle lying?

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I understand, dash. I spent years trying to understand "why" Oldest would tell such outrageous lies (your stories strike a chord... Oldest once called in sick to work telling them her sister had been hit by a car.. not true). I finally had to accept that there was no "why." None that I could understand, anyway, let alone change or reason with. If you've not dealt with this type of lying, it's very difficult to relate to it. I've had well-intentioned friends offer to "talk to" Oldest, thinking they could "get through to her." It just doesn't work that way when you're dealing with a personality disorder, unfortunately.

You're right, this is her issue, not yours. Hugs.

DammitJanet

Oh man...I am laughing here about the traffic accidents as excuses. Sometimes even typical teen's will use those! My so called fairly normal kid actually pulled the wool over his 11th grade English teacher's eyes by convincing her that the reason he was absent and late for some of his assignments for her class was that he was in a car wreck with his best friend and the car flipped! His books and one of the major assignments was thrown out the window...lmao.

Well imagine her surprise when she was expressing her condolences to me at the "meet the parents" night the next year and I looked at her in astonishment and told her he was a lying sack of doggy poo. I busted him then and there...lmao. I told her point blank that if he was out or had any problems she would get a note from me. He just had a major case of "IDONTWANTTOGOTOSCHOOLITIS"...LOL.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Yeah. I've told this story here before, bur will repeat for dash: Oldest was busted when her stepmother walked into the liquor store where she'd called in sick, they noticed her last name, and asked if she was related to Oldest. When she said yes, they told her they hoped her sister was ok after the car accident. Stepmom of course was shocked, and their dad later called our house to find out what had happened, only to have Youngest answer the phone and tell him she had no idea what he was talking about. Oldest's explanation? She didn't remember making the call. She was so sick she must have been delerious.

dashcat

Crazy and Janet,

You've given me the first real laugh I've had all day. The car flipping is a very creative twist on "the dog ate it", and the deliriously sick difficult child is one for the record books.

....at least I'm not alone...
dash