How Do You Keep Your Tree Watered??

DDD

I'm not as limber as I used to be and I don't have little kids to scoot under the tree and add water. Chances are there is a new fangled something or other that you can buy for $1.98 that maintains water in your tree stand!
Somebody :D tell me I'm right.......please, LOL. DDD

Stella Johnson

When I bought real trees I always got them flocked. The flocking keeps their moister inside. You never have to water them. In fact if you do, you can ruin it.

Since I'm lazy and difficult child is allergic to the air now, we just do fake ones.:D

Steph

donna723

I still have and use the same big, pretty artificial tree I bought about fourteen years ago. I paid $89 for it all those years ago and it still looks good and people still mistake it for a real one! The prices have gone up so much, I could never afford another one like this one now!

Back when we did have a live tree, we tried to keep it watered but the dogs discovered the 'auxillary water bowl' and we could never keep water in it! I still miss the smell of having a live tree in the house through. Sorry, I'm not much help.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I use an artificial tree now, but I did buy a funnel tube type thing to water my poinsettia plants. You can stick the tube down in the tree stand and then pour water into the funnel part. The only catch is you need to know how much water to pour in, maybe a cup every other day? Just depends on how dry your house is..... I too miss the smell, but then I can always spray evergreen air freshener...... My problem was being 5' 3" and we always had to have a big tree--seven foot, but when I wanted to put it up everyone was gone...... so I would be wrestling the tree and by the time I would get it straight, half the needles were gone.....

Andy

husband is in charge of tree watering. He has been known to get the tree and then be on the road for a few weeks - thus the tree doesn't get watered because I usually don't remember to.

1 cup measuring cup with water and a little sugar.

I like the funnel idea but agree not knowing the limit would be the hard part.

I love seeing the tops of trees in windows so most years the tree is short so I can put it in the window. I agree with the everyone wants large but who will help take down the decorations (the kids like to decorate but no one will help take them off the tree).

mstang67chic

Going Green
Some tips for real trees:

When you first set it up, if it's been in the cold and hasn't completely opened up (if it's been bundled), for the first fill, use warm water. This will help the tree open up. Also, it will be very thirsty for the first couple of days so be sure to keep an eye on the water level.

As for getting the water in, I would think using some sort of funnel would work but as someone else said, you have to have some way of watching the level.

You may also want to get one of those big tree garbage bags. Set it down first and then put the tree stand in it before you put your tree up. This will make it much easier to remove the tree from the house without getting needles all over the place.

Star*

call 911........call 911
so a garden hose through the window into the tree stand even with towels at the opening of the window is out of the question huh?

How about a long funnel like you would use for oil replacement in an auto and a gallon jug?

They DO sell things in Sears that you can hook to the sink (coiled water hoses) that you can use to walk around the house and water the plants....maybe shove one of those IN the tree base and just cover the hose with a sheet until you NEED to water - then hook it up to the sink spiggot??

Other than that - ?

I have a cartoon I must dig out for you.

:tongue:

susiestar

Roll With It
Wish I had an answer for you, but we have only had a live tree one year - and neither wiz nor I could breathe that year. Now, with 3 kids with allergies, husband is resigned to never getting a real tree in the house.

And I am STILL MAD that he left my gorgeous pre-lit tree outside in the rain. It NEVER had to go there, should have been in the spare room but I couldn't move it.

Hmmph.

We are going out this weekend to see if the thrift store has any trees. Otherwise we won't have one because he said the $25 one at walmart on boyfriend was too much. I wanted to kick him.

I just might.

Kick him, I mean.

Susie

DDD

Would one of those big colored bulb thingies that they advertise for plants
work if resting against the tree?? I'm not sure how the water gets dispersed from those either.

For those of you are thinking "doesn't she have something important to worry about?". YES, I do. BUT.......NO, I won't. :tongue: DDD

donna723

DDD - I think the big colored bulb thingies are meant to be stuck down in the dirt of a flower pot. Do you mean the colored glass things that they advertise in TV and they say "Not sold in stores", but Walmart has them?

How about using a plastic turkey baster?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
My goofy father (rest his soul)

rigged up a piece of garden hose to a small green funnel. He put an S hook on the funnel and stuck in the tree and it stayed there.

Then he kept a little dowel rod 3 or so feet long that he used like a dipstick, stuck it into the tree stand to check how deep the water was, then used his little funnel to add water.

(he did basically the same thing with the gas tank on his boat for years.... I said I loved him. I never said he was "right")

Last edited:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, and I have one of those plastic basins you install your water heater in that I put under my tree stand. That way any thing that does leak over isn't a big deal.

Of course, this is coming from me, who used duct tape and JB weld (as suggested by a then 5 year old difficult child) to fix our tree stand....

Nope. No rednecks here.