How do you know you have a difficult child?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
HMMM???
Well, We had one of husband's friend stay with us for 2 days and he was highly curious about K, he is a teacher and wanted to know her symptoms etc. He was fairly suspicious... the usual BS. Don't all kids have stuff like that? Aren't all kids difficult???
I bit my toungue... the next day he actually apologized to husband and said he felt bad and didn't mean to offend. NICE...

So today husband and I at the end of the day gave each other a hug and said how sad is it that we felt like we accomplished something today!

WHY?

We were able to get K to go outside today!!!!:woohoo:

We were laughing and saying that is how you know you have a difficult child!!!
Pretty pathetic... and what is even more pathetic is how excited we were....
She usually just makes it to School. That is it! We were able to get her outside and play, we worked on an igloo... for and hour.

Oh the little things.

witzend

I thought this was going to be one of those "You know you're a redneck when..." type posts. Like "If you do a happy dance because your kid went outside today, you have a difficult child." "If it's cheaper to pay someone to do chores around your house than it is to get your kid to do it for free (and fix whatever they broke in their hissy-fit,) you have a difficult child."

;)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Me too Witz. lmao

Glad you got her outside to play. Fresh air does wonders to wear difficult children out. lol And hey, at least he apologized.:D

Now, let's see........

You know you have a difficult child if all your electronical equipment is either malfunctioning or in pieces.

You know you have a difficult child if there are so many holes in your walls you need to hire a dry-waller.

Ok, enough. I couldn't resist.

Hugs

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I'll never forget wm complaining to our mental health case manager - actually accusing me of abuse because I "made" him go outside with his PCA to ride bike & play at the playground. :hammer: Literally gave me a headache for the next couple of days.

So toto & Mr. Toto - I totally understand your definition. And I'm so glad that you got K out to play - it's such a good thing for a child to do. So healthy. :sled:

house of cards

I do think that one of the "gifts" from our kids is that they teach us to appreciate the smaller things and to tolerant more hassles before we give in to negative impressions, just wish there was an easier way to learn that leasson. Enjoy your moment.

SaraT

Good for her. And she stayed out for an hour :woohoo:.

You might have a difficult child if are always going back to school to get forgotten homework.

PersonalEnigma

You know you have a difficult child when you are relieved when 3:00 rolls around and there has been no phone call from the school...

Congrats on getting her outside to play :) It's funny how people just don't get it until they see a difficult child in action. I know that mine is like that because at home and with us he's just fine, but get him to school or in a large social setting without our supervision...

happymomof2

Me too Witz. lmao

Glad you got her outside to play. Fresh air does wonders to wear difficult children out. lol And hey, at least he apologized.:D

Now, let's see........

You know you have a difficult child if all your electronical equipment is either malfunctioning or in pieces.

You know you have a difficult child if there are so many holes in your walls you need to hire a dry-waller.

Hugs

The holes in the walls how I can relate to that one!!

Jena

oh yeah for you. very cool. so glad and it is all about the little things. you must of enjoyed that immensley.

by the way i go through that all the time with family saying aren't all kids like that etc. i used to answer their every question now i just say if you care so much go look on the internet i'm done.......:)

ok gotta ask what does difficult child mean??? i always type everything out and everyone has this whole lingo thing?? LOL.....what the heck does that mean i have sat for countless minutes trying to figure this out....and yes i am a blonde LOL

jen

amorgan37

mominneed
I am new to the site, and was wondering what difficult child means too.
I have a 9 year old just diagnosed with ODD! Thank God, finally somebody listened to me. She has been off the wall since she was 2. She is a twin, her sister is very mellow, I also have a 13 year old ( all girls) the oldest is great, no problems other than typical moodiness!!! My daughter with ODD, strains everyone in the house. Found this site, looking for support, and people who understand.

nvts

Andrea and Jen: difficult child stands for "Gift from God" (the child that brought you here). You can go to "frequently asked questions" and see some of the "jargon" that we use on the board.

"You know you have a difficult child when you make any sort of plan (whether to dye your hair, sweep the floor, go to the doctor, etc.) no matter how small, and you can't because they all of a sudden have an "issue".

:biting:

Beth

mstang67chic

Going Green
Me too Witz. lmao

Now, let's see........

Hugs

Gotta love that fresh air = good sleep concept! LOL Good for you!

Now...let's see. Electrical equipment in pieces: Check. Holes in the walls: Check.

You know you have a difficult child when you overhear a man at the Post Office calling information for the school's number and you rattle it off without thinking. (did that just last month)

You know you have a difficult child when most of the keys on your key chain are for locks on the INSIDE of your house.

You know you have a difficult child when the people at the pharmacy don't even ask for the name of the person you are picking medications up for.

totoro

:doctor:YES!!!!
When you know your psychiatrist's phone number and his ext... by heart.

When you can reach back while driving and manage to hold the buckle in place and grab said G'sFG hand in yours while she was screaming and escalating, kicking etc. Hold those little hands in place until you manage to pull over!!! Without crashing...:woohoo:

They can walk into your room and say, "Mommy I peed/pooped the bed", at 3am, difficult child is 6+ and you can still manage to stay calm and walk them to the bathroom clean them up let them crawl into your bed. Clean their bed, crawl back into your bed just as your other child is waking up and difficult child has decided he/she isn't tired!!! And still smile!!!:bloodshot::hammer:

4sumrzn

Gotta love that fresh air = good sleep concept! LOL Good for you!

Now...let's see. Electrical equipment in pieces: Check. Holes in the walls: Check.

You know you have a difficult child when you overhear a man at the Post Office calling information for the school's number and you rattle it off without thinking. (did that just last month)

You know you have a difficult child when most of the keys on your key chain are for locks on the INSIDE of your house.

You know you have a difficult child when the people at the pharmacy don't even ask for the name of the person you are picking medications up for.

:holymoly: The keys & the pharmacy soooo had me rolling.....oh how true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

totoro......it IS the little things. I'm glad she went out to play! FYI.....friends of ours.....get the picture & wouldn't stay with us for more than an hour! (some will) And, family.... they "think" they could fix it all because there is "nothing" wrong, but I believe they are SCARED to try!

klmno

I just now caught up with this thread- it is amazing how many of those things I can relate to- what else?

You know you have a difficult child if you have to sleep with keys, credit cards, any matches or lighters in your pocket.

You know you have a difficult child when an in home therapist shows up at your door and the living room ceiling fan is hanging 4 feet above the floor, by one electrical wire...

And when you get the word that they got in trouble for something a lot of kids might do and your first reaction is "GEEZ is that all"....

And when you see aptitude test results of above average and they are failing in school....

And when you see them at different times be so sweet, so loving, so polite, so alert, and they aren't even asking for anything!!

jenn4anthony

i am just getting here to the board after a long long day...oh, how i can relate to your difficult child relate pharses..i will have to add some of my own

crazymama30

you know you have a difficult child when saying "time to brush your teeth" starts a battle.

You know you have a difficult child when you smell their breath to be sure they brushed their teeth, and smell their hair and body after a shower!!

totoro

You know you have a difficult child when you ask them if they would like cereal for breakfast... and it ends in, depending on the day:
Broken dishes
"YOU know I HATE cereal!"
Violence and Restraints
sobbing under the table