How do you know your posts are helpful?

Fran

Former desparate mom
I'm not sure why that matters. You just throw out what you think is helpful. Expecting pats on the back is sort of unnecessary. in my humble opinion.
I doubt my responses are helpful to a large percentage but I cared enough to respond which says something.

OpenWindow

I go through that all the time. I haven't had a lot of success with my difficult child recently, so why would anyone want to listen to what I have to say? I know it's my own lack of self-confidence.

But when I really stop to think about it, every response is helpful, even the ones I may disagree with or they repeat what I already know or have tried. Everyone here has so much experience, and hearing what they have done that has worked or hasn't worked is invaluable, not only for the original poster but for so many others who read that post and the responses.

And, just knowing that someone cared enough or related enough to respond, makes me feel good and not so alone.

Linda

4sumrzn

I won't repeat what everyone else has said....all so true. I will admit, I come here because it's a wonderful cyber family that cares.......I care, you care = "helpful". I think every post is helpful in one way or another to someone.

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
I am new here and do not post often, but I can tell ALL of you that your posts are wonderful and very helpful.

Your posts have helped me in numerous ways, here are a few:
1) different views on subjects
2) knowing that other people have similar issues
3) made me laugh when I was feeling down
4) helped lift my spirits about having a difficult child and dealing with those type of issues.

So, I want to say THANK YOU to all that post on this board.

Steely

I agree that this board is amazing and helpful to me in every way. I think I posed this question because sometimes I wonder if I am helpful. (Because of my snippet of low self esteem.) And then I had to wonder if all of us must not feel this way on some level or another.

However, after pondering this, and thinking about all of your posts..........
I think it all boils down to each of us feeling confident enough in ourselves to believe that we offer value when we respond. I think collectively each and every one us believes in ourselves enough to post our thoughts and ideas with conviction, and without need for affirmation. That, in itself, is a bit of a rarity in our society - and yet it is what makes this board so inspiring, and "helpful".

Once again, thanks for your insight.

klmno

Steely, being parents of difficult child's and going through our various requirements of "warrior mom" (whether we are in the mood for it or not) probably leaves many of us with self-doubts about stuff like that sometimes. I glanced through these posts but haven't read every word in all of them so this might be repeating something. But, I noticed that even when I don't think a reponse "hits the nail on the head" for my situation, the other repsonses are still helpful. For one, I still mull them over and consider all options. Sometimes I change my mind at that point, or I feel like I have a Plan B if the first "option" doesn't work. If I don't try that option at all, then I at least feel better that I considered several options. To me, it isn't about one idea being right or wrong, it is about finding what we think will work in our given situation- so they are "options". But, feeling like I am aware of other options makes me feel more confident.

And, it isn't just people outside the board who lurk. :) Sometimes I look at threads in forums here that I wouldn't post in (Early Childhood, PE, for instance). And, I still learn something or get ideas to put in my back pocket for a later date.

I look at this board as an on-line support group full of more credible experience than any counselor that I've taken difficult child to has. As I mentioned to another "poster" last night, if nothing else, responses here have let me know that I am not just going insane.

Thanks for raising this question- it made me realize how lucky I am in some ways. But, I'm pretty sure that you can get rid of your snippets now!!

PS There might be something to be said for being comfortable enough to throw an idea out even when we aren't sure about it- just to get feedback. So, we don't always have to put up our best, rehearsed front like when we face certain people at sd and courts, etc.

tryinghard

Steely,

I think you are such a wise and strong person. I am always honored when I see you have responded to one of my posts or you give advise.

Please do not doubt the value of your voice...that is what makes you you!

I'm sure it's been said (I have not read ALL the responses, thy are plentiful, as this is a good subject) buy I want to say that not only to I get a ton of help when I ask for it, I also find help on posts that were not even directed to me. I am sure that I am not the only one.

Most importantly, I am helped by the simple act of posting. Partially because it is therapeutic to get my thoughts in print. Partially because even if I get few or even no responses, I know that those people on the board that I know and trust are keeping up with me. It's not just my life, it's thousands of lives on this simple, wonderful board. Those I've gotten to know and grown to care for are my family, and coming here daily is keeping in touch with that family.

Sometimes I do need "help" as in advice. Other times it is just enough to read "I know, I care, here's a hug". I get enough of both here consistently.

by the way, hugs to you.