How important is alone time to you?

Jena

hi

i was just sitting here, finally alone after a very very long difficult child day. She was up early and it seems lately her days are never ending again. Now, I shouldnt' complain she's not up till 3 a.m. and all nighters like she was yet as we all know i like to complain and well I'm just good at it!! LOL

But wow alone time to me is essential, key, necessary and i can't live without it. IF I dont' get my time, it could be just a half an hour i'm a total lunatic, short, nasty and just ugly!

Like most nights now i'm just getting difficult child under control by the time he gets home and than i feel like my second part of the night is beginning, like i'm working in shifts here!!! I'm not 7 eleven!!!!!! ugh!

I said to him take your time driving pleaseeeeeee!! Mean, well i dont' know it's just he expects me to talk to him, rightfully so etc. yet when i dotn' get that little break in between it's not good for me at all.

I'm used to single life i have to admit. i Had it for years. I would handle difficult child, than have my time to watch t.v. read go on internet or just reflect and think and be alone. It's very very hard adjusting to not having that time anymore.

Ok i'm done ranting..............so how crucial is alone time to you guys, and what are you like if you don't get it?? i'm just wondering if i'm the only one who feels totally off the wall when you dont' get it

tiredmommy

I find I need a little alone time in regular intervals in order to keep connected to myself. It's too easy to become engulfed by Duckie's issues without it.

Jena

I can see that. It does help ground me as well. I become engulfed by difficult child's issues and everyone elses, easy child's etc. hard to get this time of the year though, when our difficult child's are flying high with the holidays approaching.

F

flutterbee

It's a necessity to me, in case you couldn't tell by all my venting on the board since I never get any. :mad:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Being as I'm on the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) spectrum in addition to being Bipolar...Alone time is an absolute necessity.

My family worries about me spending so much time alone, but in all honesty, I'm actually more comfortable maintaining my relationships via computer than I am doing so in person.

Ropefree

Banned
I lived in a community that is known as a village of freindly hermits...I did that for twenty years. Now I am living in a far more urban neighborhood. I spend most of my time alone and I am happily anticipating the empty nest when I will no longer be in
a parenting role. My poor younge son thinks that my offer to share my home while he goes to college is because I want to control him HA HA!! I have my sites on the lush and long quiet and the absence of any pissing and moaning over "its late" "its morning".
I agree that having that down time the quiet is like turning the meterdome off. No tic tock.

susiestar

Roll With It
If I don't get alone time NO ONE can stand being near me, not even ME! It truly is crucial to my well being, and it is to my husband also. In fact, I think each and every one of my kids needs it too. Just part of who we are.

LittleDudesMom

Alone time is important to me as well. That is the biggest reason I get up so early in the morning. I enjoy the quiet time to sip my coffee, check email, come here on the site, catch up on the news. My quiet time is in the morning because, by the time bedtime for the kids rolls around, I'm ready to roll in myself!

Sharon

Abbey

Spork Queen
Why do you think I get up in the middle of the night every night? ;) No parrots screaming, no H...just me.

I have to say having H gone for the last month has been nice. No TV on all the time, not having to worry about dinner plans, if I want to go to bed at 8pm, I do, etc. Inlaws want my daughter and I who is coming up this morning :happyguy:to go 2 hours north for a belated Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. I just want to stay home and spend time with her. Still trying to figure out how to gracefully get out of that.

I'm a very people oriented person, but when the work day is done, I want to just chill and do things *I* enjoy and putter around the house getting things done. I guess it's easier for me because I have no kids at home, except one grumpy guy and the birds. Ok...I guess I have 4 kids at home.

Oddly enough, sound is a huge issue for me. I can't stand having the TV or stereo on 'just because we need sound.' H always turns the TV on at 5am LOUD, then proceeds to go downstairs and do something else. Ummm...hello? You're not even watching it. I turn it off, he turns it back on and the cycle begins.

I like the quiet. Right now all I can hear is the hum of my computer and the heater. Perfect.

Yes, alone time is essential.

Abbey

goldenguru

I absolutely need quiet time for me. I walk one hour every day alone (well me and the big ol dog) and I find solace in the car.

Quiet gives me time to think and process everything in life.

klmno

I HAVE to have it-and I agree with what so many others have said here.

I used to think that being extraverted meant that a persoon loved being around other people and that introverted meant that the person didn't enjoy others' company. But then I read somewhere that generally, all people enjoyed some time socializing and some time alone and what distinguishes the extravert and introvert is that the extravert gets "re-energized" and maintains their "mental ground" through socializing, while the introvert gets this in times alone.

I don't know how true that is, but it seems to fit me. I like my time out with others or sitting around chatting periodically as much as anyone, but in times of stress or chaos, I run to find time alone, not go out to socialize.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Are you kidding??

You've got to be kidding??

Without my alone time, my kids would've never made it to adulthood.

Seriously.

Alone time is vital, most especially with difficult children.

Hugs

Jena

LOL i'm glad to see i'm not alone in this! LOL I hope you guys have a great day today

yes alone time is crucial bigtime

'Chelle

Once when asked what I wanted for my birthday I told them I wanted a weekend in a hotel -- alone -- all by myself. An overnight in a nice quiet comfortable hotel room for a day and overnight where I could do what I wanted, read, watch what I wanted to on TV, not have to cook for anyone or hear "what's there to eat". {{SIGH}} I don't think they believed me because I didn't get it, still haven't, but would still LOVE it.

trinityroyal

Time alone is essential to my mental and physical health. It's not just that my mood goes totally off, I get depressed and there's a HUGE escalation of all Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) behaviour. I could go days without interacting with anyone other than husband and Little easy child (both introverts as well, thankfully), and that's the way I like it.

If you're going to drag me out of my house for something, it better be really really important or really really good.

Trinity

KTMom91

I have to have some time all by myself...with no one to talk to except Buddy, or I am not happy. And we all know what happens when "Momma ain't happy..."

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
My favorite time of day is night time - later in the evening when either everyone is asleep or out.

I enjoy being alone nore more than I ever have in my life. I always used to need someone to be with me or go with me. Now I like going alone and being alone. I especially LOVE driving alone and traveling alone the best, ie, flying away!

On a daily basis I don't always get alone time except for the travel time between work and home, which is only 12 minutes. But I do try and carve out some time - it is essential for a happier me. Maybe that is why I spend so much time just hanging in the bathroom!:tongue:

We're just back home after 5 days in the mountains with my Mom, husband's siblings, their children, and their grandchildren - mind you this was husband's and my idea...

It was a lovely trip and great fun and we haven't all been together for three years as we're scattered over the entire country and Scandinavia... Our grandnieces are just precious.

But....

I'm just so glad to home because there was absolutely no alone time to be had. It's important, very important to me :)