How Long...

T

TeDo

We had a 3-year IEP last Monday. The new IEP is due to me tomorrow. My question is, how long after I approve of the new IEP do they have to implement it? The SD will be changing my difficult child's schedule and adding social skills group and counseling. There were also some important academic accommodations in the new IEP that weren't in the old one. From what I was told by the sped case manager, they won't be "able" to change anything until after Thanksgiving break. Things are getting worse at school and my difficult child is now failing 4 out of 6 classes but made the B Honor Roll last quarter. Are they allowed to take that long?

LittleDudesMom

TeDo,

sorry I'm just responding to your thread after a week, but I imagine now you have your answer. The IEP must be implemented "without delay". It would not be unusual that they need a few days to complete paperwork, get staff in place, etc., but I would think a week would be ample of time to change his schedule around, get him in a social skills group, and schedule a meeting with his counselor. More than that would just be the school taking their time.

Since you posted on the 10th and Thanksgiving is on the 25th, his IEP would not be implemented until the 29th. That's about three weeks. I don't think that meets the criteria of "without delay". Is there already a social skills class at the school that he will be going into? There are counselors already at school so that part of the IEP should be immediate. His teachers have to implement his modifications in the classroom immediately (even if he will be changing to another teacher, that IEP is in effect now and his modifications are now law).

What's the status now?

Sharon

T

TeDo

Thanks for getting back to me. I didn't think they had that long to implement it but wanted to make sure before I "caused a stink". I got a copy of the new IEP to sign on the 11th. There were some wording changes that needed to be made so I sat down with the SpEd teacher and hashed those out. He had the revised copy with the new wording ready for me to sign at 8:00 this morning. That's when he finally told me that he would let everyone know about the schedule changes and the new accomodations that will go into effect TOMORROW. I talked a little bit with difficult child last night about some of the changes and he seemed so relieved and was actually smiling. The SpEd teacher is going to go over everything with difficult child today so he is prepared for tomorrow. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I could tell difficult child was feeling better about school today than he has for the past 3 months.

LittleDudesMom

TeDo,

that's great! I wonder what changed between what the case manager told you and what the Special Education director told you yesterday? But who cares at this point, it's all good!

A real INDIVIDUAL Education Plan can make a world of difference. My son has had a wonderful team through elementary and middle (the high school team seems ok....) and had very individual goals/accoms/mods, etc. Many times schools will just include kinda pat, generic stuff to appease the uneducated parent.

It's great that your son actually smiled! Makes your heart feel good, doesn't it?

Sharon

T

TeDo

Thanks Sharon. Yes it does feel good!!! He smiled on his way to school today and couldn't wait to start his new schedule. I must be doing something right for that to happen and yes, I did give myself a pat on the back as well as giving him a huge hug.