How many got an initial diagnosis of ADHD....

ShakinThingzUp

My step daughter's diagnosis was also given as ADHD while she was still living with bio-mom. Her mother found a doctor to help her get what she wanted - they upped her dose of concerta to 54 mg (because the lower dose wasn't working!) and had her "zombied out."

We knew all along she didn't have it, because I have a son who DOES have it...... and their behavior was totally different....

He absolutely can't concentrate, and its obvious when he struggles with it. If I give him directions to do something, he literally forgets the directions before he walks 10 feet ....

My daughter however, will follow directions (multiple) to the letter, even going beyond my instructions to "show off" that she knows better than me.... HA!

The first doctor I took her to when we gained custody also attempted to tell me it was ADHD. I told him very sternly "This child does not have any trouble focusing or paying attention. She CHOOSES not to pay attention, because she is UNINTERESTED."

There is a difference between willfully ignoring directions and forgetting them...

Eventually she was diagnosed with Reactive Attachment Disorder.

ADHD medications served only to numb her further.... a person who had no concsience did not need to be numbed even farther... Sometimes I think doctors just want the "easy" way out instead of really finding the problem!

God Bless!
Amy