How many of our difficult child's will be moving to Colorado?

Nancy

With last night's election in Colorado and Washington I'm sure my difficult child is trying to figure out how to get there now.

DDD

Pot legal change, Janet. on the other hand, Nancy, Federal law trumps State law evidently so it really isn't "safe" to fire up I gather.

I don't think I've ever mentioned it but more and more State's are upping the number of mgs that are tolerated before arrest. IF it were possible to go back to the "good old days" of milder pot I wouldn't have an issue with it at all. But...I do believe that the weed of today is serious stuff. Personally I have never experienced it but that's because it only became popular in the 60's and then I was married with children. Thank heavens! DDD

Nancy

I watched an interesting segment on 60 minutes or one of those magazine news shows about this. Even though it is still illegal on the federal level they doubt whether the feds will bother them that much because they are going to strictly enforce the regulations and it will make a ton of money for the state. And I think you have to buy it from state regulated agencies which certify that it is pure, no additives. If it was truly regulated and it eliminated the underground element I may feel differently but it seems like a slippery slope to me. I fear the criminals will just increase the sale of more dangerous drugs.

I had to laugh at what I read though "The rocky mountain high just got a whole lot higher."

P

PatriotsGirl

I agree with it. I think it should be legal everywhere. I do not agree that today's marijuana is "dangerous". I feel alcohol and especially cigarettes, are far more dangerous and lethal! I have never, ever heard of anyone dying from pot. But I can tell you MANY, MANY others that have died from the other two....

InsaneCdn

PG? I know of people who have died from what pot was laced with - and they thought they were only getting pot. To me THAT is the biggest problem with pot. If you are prepared to grow your own and control the quality and purity... it's probably not that unsafe. But US isn't Canada... here, growing enough for personal use only isn't going to get you more than a slap on the wrist.

P

PatriotsGirl

PG? I know of people who have died from what pot was laced with - and they thought they were only getting pot. To me THAT is the biggest problem with pot. If you are prepared to grow your own and control the quality and purity... it's probably not that unsafe. But US isn't Canada... here, growing enough for personal use only isn't going to get you more than a slap on the wrist.

I have personally never knows anyone that it has happened to. I can't imagine drug dealers would be willing to give away extra inventory with sales of pot, either. Now if someone laces it themselves with something...well....

But even better a reason for it to be legalized and sold in stores - it would be safer!

InsaneCdn

Here it's done with crack and/or crystal meth - stuff that is rapidly addictive... at which point, the user is begging for more of whatever it was... in any form... and paying for it after the 2nd or 3rd round, when there is no way out. These guys (mostly guys) have only one thing in mind: how to get as many addicted clients as possible.

Nancy

Smoking pot just causes my difficult child to use other drugs with it because drug addicts are never satisfied with just the high they get from the original drug, I don't know, I have a lot of mixed feelings about it. I know from my difficult child that if you give her an inch she will take a mile, she has always been that way. So telling her using pot is legal is just a permission slip to use other drugs. If they come oup with a way to test on the spot if one is under the influence of pot so that the rest of us are not subject to their erratic driving and a way that it will not trigger the addiction button to go off in their heads I may be more accepting.

My views on a lot of things are very different than they normally would be because of my difficult child.

BusynMember

It happened to me one of the few times I tried pot. I don't know where the boy I was with got the pot, but it wasn't just pot and boy said, "Maybe it's laced with heroin."

Some people, predisposed to mental illness, get mentally ill as a result of the pot. Nobody knows if the pot kicked up what would have gotten there anyway or if it is the reason. I have mental illness and pot is poison to me. I have very strange and strong and scary reactions to pot...I tried it about eight times and, after experiences that were horrible and left me depressed and anxious and paranoid as all hello, I never touched the stuff again. Don't even like the smell around me so won't hang near adult pot smokers. Not that I know many.
The wrong idea that pot is harmless and not as dangerous as alcohol or cigarettes is going to be proven way wrong. Just like alcohol, it depends on the person's brain chemistry and if they decide to drive while high. I never could drive while high on pot.

But pot is going to be legal one day and, like alcohol, it will definitely not be seen as harmless once it is used openly. And one more gateway drug will be available to those who are vulnerable to addiction.

T

toughlovin

I had the same thought today Nancy... how long til my difficult child decides to go up to Washington? Of course it is pretty available in CA as medical marijuana....

I have no real issue with adults choosing to smoke pot or for that matter do other drugs. I think it is a bad idea and I think addiction causes a lot of heartache to those of us who love an addict.... but I am not here to make moral judgements or decisions for adults.

What really bothers me is the availability of pot and drugs to kids... and I really think that legalization will just make it even more available than it already is. That was also my main objection to the measure in MA for medical marijuana.

As far as it being laced with other things... that may be helped by legalization.. but it depends on what kind of controls are in place.

TL

S

Signorina

I was reading something the other day about the Mexican Drug cartels realizing that the legalization of pot will cut into their profits. Once pot is legal, it will be regulated and manufactured locally and there will be far less demand for Mexican pot.

Ergo, the drug cartels are switching to and ramping up the production and exportation of "other" drugs - mostly cocaine - to replace the lost marijuana sales.

May God help us all

A

AmericanGirl

I never thought of that, Sig. It is scary....

i decided a few weeks ago that addiction would be my primary driver on how I vote from now on.

i get the other huge issues our country is facing. But, if we got this one under control, so many others would improve as well.

Tiredof33

I thought the same thoughts when I saw the election news. From watching documentaries on pot I also feel it will be legalized in other states soon.

I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand I feel it will be a good thing to regulate the sales and tax it - take the dealers out of the mix.

On the other hand I know an unemployed 34yo that is not looking for work and just stays high all day. The other is 50yo and doesn't use now but says he feels like his constant pot smoking earlier years have afffected his ability to hold a job now. He is also very lazy, so that may just be an excuse lol!!!

in my opinion if they are going to use drugs they will find them whether they are legal or not. It never stopped my difficult child!

P

PatriotsGirl

On the other hand I know an unemployed 34yo that is not looking for work and just stays high all day. The other is 50yo and doesn't use now but says he feels like his constant pot smoking earlier years have afffected his ability to hold a job now. He is also very lazy, so that may just be an excuse lol!!!

in my opinion if they are going to use drugs they will find them whether they are legal or not. It never stopped my difficult child!

That is laziness. I know people that smoke daily and maintain very successful lives.

And the second point is how I feel - the "war on drugs" has always been and will always be a waste of money....

Nancy

That is laziness. I know people that smoke daily and maintain very successful lives.

And the second point is how I feel - the "war on drugs" has always been and will always be a waste of money....

This just proves the point that many of us make about our addicts. If you are not an addict you can drink alcohol and smoke pot everyday and you may lead a completely successful life. If you are an addict, the use of pot or alcohol will create havoc in your life and in the lives of others. But in addition to that I have watched my difficult child's friends who all smoked pot every day through high schooll and almost all of them are unmotivated young people who have no drive or passion for anything in life other than where the next bong party is. They work in minimum pay jobs if they work at all. I saw difficult child become a blob who laid in bed watching tv and couldn't even get out to shower or change clothes when she was on pot. I do not believe all these kids are lazy. I believe their use of pot affects their metabolism in such a way that they have no energy for anything else. I have tried to keep tabs on some of those kids just to see how they turned out and they are still just floating through life. They are not all addicts, they have not gone on to harder drugs or alcohol, they are just enjoying the high and not realizing that life is passing them by.

The waste of money thing I don't understand. I don't consider it a waste of money to try to keep dangerous drugs off the street, even if doesn't completely remove them and never will. I look at it the way I do any other use of funds to keep our society civil and safe. The alternative is not a good option in my humble opinion.

InsaneCdn

Nancy, I know where you're coming from one the "waste of money" front. I'm kind of on the line on this one.
In an ideal world, every kid would be born into ideal environments, and raised with early interventions and appropriate accommodations from the beginning... and if we did that, there wouldn't BE a drug problem. Because most of this is fueled by "issues" (a few get swept up into it, because of the volume of drug stuff going on).

If we spent all the money currently spent on the "war on drugs", instead on solving root causes... would it make enough of a difference? And there lies the catch-22. Because we will never solve ALL of the root causes.

Nancy

But would we stop spending money on arresting other criminals because we can't eradicate the root? Every AA meeting is filled with recovering addicts who had all the right accomodations and support and wonderful parenting and it made no difference. The addiction gene can't be quieted by good parenting or early interventions. God knows I have sought out every intervention I could since difficult child was two years old.

And here you get into some very difficult discussions such as abortion and forced birth control and what do you do with children born to mothers who shouldn't be mothers and stop me now before we get into a politcal discussion.

BusynMember

PatriotsGirl, you are forgetting that everyone responds differently to pot, just like some people can't use alcohol. I knew a man who smoked pot every day and did nothing but carnival jobs. Then he quit because he had a baby (and it wasn't easy...he had to go to therapy to quit). He said suddenly his motivation leaped forward and he got a decent job. He blames the pot and I believe him. Pot isn't harmless to everybody. It's nice that some can work while high all the time. It's not everybody. I totally agree with Nancy.

lovemysons

Nancy,
I totally agree about the Addiction Gene. We are riddled with it on both sides of our family tree. It will truly be a miracle if BOTH of my difficult child's can be sober at the same time and remain that way for years to come.
We too went through all the appropriate channels of help...and it wasn't until Oldest difficult child WANTED to be sober that it even worked. And he has done it without AA this time...just with the motivation of having a family that depends on him and that he loves (though he does have ALOT of AA knowledge in there). That is what made him lay down his desire to get high...and arrest the addiction. Certainly wasn't any law.

LMS