How many school days can be missed?

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
I can't seem to find any info on this. Does anyone know?

I told Bubby he has to go to school tomorrow and he is freaking out.

I called Children's and confirmed we are on the list for when they have an opening. I keep second guessing myself about that.

I am wondering how much to tell school about this. I want to let him stay home. Anyone have experience with this? Maybe I should try to get him in to the therapist he used to see. He was nice but no help.

Just don't know what to do.

tiredmommy

I would call an emergency IEP meeting and see about homebound instruction. Call back Children's and speak to a social worker or case manager there about school as Bubby's stresser. They may be able to help since he's on a waiting list.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
I emailed the sped teacher at school and she suggested a meeting with me, her, and his two teachers. She said she thinks they can help him. I have been asking them daily to help him not feel so overwhelmed and help to keep caught up with his work. His brain can't take it right now. I think we need medical intervention first.

I wish he had a therapist so I could invite them to the meeting. I don't even know what to say and I feel like I will just fall apart and cry in the meeting. Besides that, he won't let me leave his sight.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Wow - I called his pediatrician's office and spoke to the nurse. She talked to the doctor and basically said our community is greatly lacking professionals who can help children with these issues. I asked if there was anything they could do to get Bubby admitted quicker to Children's and she said unfortunately they don't have any "pull" with them. Hmm.

I would bring him to his pediatrician. He/she can witness his distress and write a medical excuse note for the school. Then keep him home if you still feel he is not capable of going.

dstc_99

Usually it is 3 days without a dr's note. Anything longer than that requires a medical reason. Not sure of a total amount they can miss but that is the generic rule.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
I tried to work with him on some math thus afternoon (I love math) and it didn't go well at all. In fact we have given up battling over homework because I can't get him to do it. I don't think homeschooling would work.

I have a call scheduled to talk with the sped teacher tomorrow afternoon. She is going to see about homebound work. Again not sure that will work.

I have the discharge paper from the ER. I could give that to the school if the give me trouble I guess.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
by the way, I went back over my previous parent reports and medication log and see that Bubby became withdrawn and no longer friendly and sociable/outgoing sometime around 2008/09 and I realized that corresponded with when he started Adderall. He took that for 18 mos then many others. He has been taking his current medications for years. Maybe it is the medications. Maybe it's depression from having a hard time. Maybe he is bipolar. I don't know.