How much for gas where you are?

dreamer

daiseylover- MANY years ago, my husband blew the engine on his car right after we got it...and he was doing door to door work, so he took MY car and I had to use a bike to work. 2nd shift- it sure was scary riding home at midnite on it. I changed shifts and worked day shift, and had to stroller/walk my girls to day care then at 4 am! (it was a LOOONG walk) I HATED that!

I do not know what young people just starting out do, with small kids etc. I keep worrying over my kids, - my girls are now 19 and gonna be 18 in a couple weeks, and goodness.....the cost of things, they could not be "on their own" yet, but, our house is only 900 sq ft.....and even if I wanted to help them, YIKES the cost of gas could eat us alive if we wanted to drive to pick up kids or help out that way......
AND I have found myself reminding difficult child about cost of gas (she does not drive) as she comes up with ideas where she might try to work.....becuz in this area, the cost of the gas could possibly wind up being more than her pay!!!!

dreamer

you know- towns are not built in a way conducive to walking or biking. New towns are built with residential at one end, in clusters with cul de sacs etc, and then stores, docs, jobs etc are way out away from the homes on superhighways. It is simply too far, too dangerous, etc to try to walk or bike in MANY areas.

Plus if you have to bring the kids with you becuz you do not have a baysitter, or becuz the kid or kids have to be somewhere....well, how do you do that on a bike?

and with the weather the way it has been around here the last several months..UG! (I still have 8 foot piles of ice/snow at the foot of my driveway....things are not great for trying to walk etc at all! and when it has not been snow, ice, then it has been massive flooding. Again not safe for walking or riding)

It REALLY is a problem. :-(

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Even small towns like the one we live in have had their major commercial centers move to the edge of town.

We're lucky because even with Wallie world here, out downtown is thriving still.

Travis only gets rides because he's blind. I told Nichole I won't be her transportation. I just can't afford it. So she's trying hard to find a job within walking distance. And Travis is very lucky we have a new cab co in town now and it's not over-priced. He can go anywhere he wants inside the city limits for 5 bucks.

With husband using so much in gas for work, I avoid driving at all cost.

Marguerite

Marg's Man hijacking her log on here...

I filled up today for A$1.45 PER LITRE. That's Aussie dollars which works out to roughly US$4.50 a US gallon. Tonight there's a story in the news of the price hitting A$3.00 a litre by Christmas thanks to problems in Venezuela driving up world oil prices.
<engage soapbox mode>
I've said it before, we (the US and Australia) get petrol (gas) CHEAP compared to the rest of the world. If China and India start getting car ownership like we have it is only going to get worse quicker.

We HAVE to support the push to find alternative transport 'cos ethanol is not a long term solution unless you want pay more for food. Those acres will only grow food OR fuel not both.
<disengage soapbox mode>

witzend

MM~ I'm afraid that China at least getting cars for more people is an inevitability. Having the US build more refineries is not the answer. It's time for alternatives. And I ain't talking corn squeezins, either.

trinityroyal

Gas here is between $1.06 and $1.10 per Litre (I think there are about 4 litres to the gallon, so prices are awfully high)

Add to this the fact that I drive a giant truck, and my gas expenses have gone through the roof. With all the wretched snow it has been much harder than usual to walk or bike, or even to take the transit, so I have been driving more than usual. Sigh.

F

flutterbee

I paid $2.99 today! The gas station across the street from the one I was at was $3.09.

DammitJanet

Ours range from 3.15 to 3.25 here depending where you go. This is in the lower part of NC right before you cross into SC.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I agree with MM and Witzend...

My Astro van is at the end of its days and I was wanting to get a Sienna... but now I'm thinking Prius for husband to commute in and I keep the Explorer... or buy that horse...

P.S. Gas price this morning is 3.45 for the 87 octane at Chevron -- yikes!

trinityroyal

gcvmom, you might be onto something there.
My local newspaper was predicting that gas prices are likely to rise to $1.40 per litre by summer time. It may be worth getting a little hybrid that's good on gas.

If I had my druthers, I would get a little runabout car. However, husband cannot fit in anything smaller than a large truck. Since I can fit in anything (even if I DO have to sit on a pillow), the choice is out of my hands. It doesn't make sense to have 2 cars when we only need one. Sigh