How to find a good summer camp

BrainGoBoom

Hi all,

It's been a while. My son was discharged from residential treatment into day treatment. It seems likely he'll be discharged from day treatment in about a month.

I'm thinking ahead to summer and wondering how to go about locating good camps for him. I have a few leads, but I'd what I'd like to find for him is a two or three week camp that focuses on outdoor activities. He thrives at our nearby YMCA Camp Collins, which runs in one-week increments.

Googling "residential summer camp emotionally disturbed adolescent" didn't turn up much.

We're in the Pacific NW. Any pointers/leads would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

tiredmommy

I would check with your nearest chapter of NAMI. I imagine they would know where to find local resources like camps, etc.

BrainGoBoom

rlsnights: Yes. He did very well while in residential (a month) and has thrived at sleep away YMCA camps. He gets a lot out of being outdoors, the challenge is how to get him out the door. We discussed this with his team last week in the context of discharge planning. We may simply wind up at the YMCA camp because in the summer, many of the counselors from the program he's in work there.

Thank you both, tiredmommy and tictoc. NAMI is a good idea, and I'll click through on the additional links.