How to find a sitter?

maxeygirls

Ok I've made the decision, I'm going out for a night but my parents are too ill to take difficult child. She is sleeping until at least 3 every night now and easy child sleeps from when she falls asleep till 5-7am so I figure if I can find a sitter for a couple hours then I can get out with no problem.
Wait, big problem...
How the heck do I find a sitter these days?
How much do I pay them to watch two sleeping(hopefully, if not Im only a mile up the road) kids for 2-4 hours?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I have had really good luck with high school kids that the counselor puts me in contact with. Or, if there's a college in your area, specifically one that has a Special Education teacher or Occupational Therapist (OT) program....great place to find kids.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I would maybe ask some other parents you know... If you know anyone. Does difficult child go to preschool at all? Might be a good place to ask. Also if you have Family Services for military they might have a good recommendation.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I found our sitter through a teammate of difficult child 1's -- turns out it's the kid's older sister... well, she's only two years ahead of difficult child 1 in school, but she's lightyears ahead in maturity.

I paid her $10 an hour for my 3 fairly-self-sufficient kids, two of which are difficult child's. She was there mainly to make sure they took their medications on time, didn't burn down the house, didn't kill eachother, and got to bed at a reasonable hour.

Other sitters I've used I also found through friends or neighbors who had kids older than mine.

But my favorite sitter is my mom because she's the ONLY one in the world who understands what's going on and doesn't pass judgement or lose her cool when the kids start pushing buttons. :)

Lothlorien

Isn't there an army wives support group where you live? Find out if any of them have baby-sitter aged girls who can watch your kids for a couple of hours. Or ask them if they have someone they can refer.

If you haven't joined your local army wives support group, you should look into it. I have a good friend who really hung onto the support and strength in that group while her husband was deployed (three tours in Afganistan and Iraq). Good luck and enjoy your night out.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
When husband was in the Army back in the eighties, Army Community Service kept a listing of people who provided house cleaning and child care services. I can't remember if you said you have access to ACS since I seem to recall your husband is in the Reserves, but that might be an avenue to check.

At that time, too, the Red Cross ran a training program for baby sitters, so something like that might be an additional resource for you.

maxeygirls

We have no support. In addition to husband being guard, his unit is actually 3 hours away. There are a few wives down here including my FRG contact but personally I know her struggles and won't ask for her help.

Jody

I could always find a sitter for my easy child. When I had difficult child that became very difficult. I had a few friends that helped here and there. Otherwise I was just on my own. I usually tried a mature teenager that I knew or if she had referances from someone that I knew. Good Luck, I am sorry you are having problems with this. Hope you find someone soon . I never paid 10.00 an hour though. I couldn't afford that. I figure they wouldn't make that working a regular job. I agree on price before they sit for me though.