How to get cat pee smell out of chair

flutterby

Fly away!
In another thread I posted that Chloe peed on me and the chair. I have no idea why she did this. It's completely out of character for her.

Anyway, the chair's upholstery is dry clean only. I sprayed Febreeze on it (I hate Febreeze), but now it just smells like cat pee plus febreeze.

Any ideas on how to get the smell out?

crazymama30

vinegar and water. Or they sell stuff at petco and places like that which have enzymes that are supposed to help. I have not found febreeze to be very helpful.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Cat pee is one of those things... It gets worse over time, unlike wine. Sigh.

Whatever you do - do NOT use ammonia!!!!! She will be able to smell it... And that will be the end of that chair.

They have this stuff at PetSmart called Nature's Miracle. It works. I buy it by the gallon. It's not cheap, but if she does not normally do this you can get away with the smaller bottle. You can use it straight on the chair even if it is dry clean only.

Also, citrus - orange especially, but grapefruit too - works, for short-term. "Citrus Magic" is the name of the stuff I love. Not expensive, and they sell it at Wal-Mart. It's really good for the room as opposed to on the chair. Eucalyptus candles, too - my Dad loves them - and bonus, they also knock out cigarette smell.

Patchouli knocks out ANY smell, which is why a lot of so-called "hippies" wear it. I adore the stuff, but husband doesn't like it... So we compromise... I almost never wear it, and he doesn't complain when I do.

flutterby

Fly away!
I used febreeze cause that's all I have. I hate the stuff and can't stand the smell of it.

I'm flat broke. I think I'm going to try putting the seat and back cushion out in the sun and see if that does anything. I know when a gas pump malfunctioned and forced gas out of my car onto me, that putting my jeans out in the sun took the smell out.

Worst case scenario, I'll pitch the chair. It's old and worn out anyway. It's just the only chair in the living room, aside from the couch.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
DUH. Didn't think about the $$$ angle. Umm... Vinegar/water equal parts, then a little orange/lemon juice. :tongue:

nvts

While it's dry try sprinkling it with baking soda - it's supposed to get rid of odors. Dawn also removes skunk from dogs - it might help!

Beth

witzend

Try the white vinegar and water. Blot it. Other than that, I haven't a clue. I'd toss the cat and the chair. I can NOT stand cat urine or spray.

witzend

P.S. I run the wool "dry clean only" upholstery on "Bubba's sofa" through the wash on gentle and dry it on low once a year or so. Whatever you do, take it off the cushion before you try to clean it. Then clean the cushion, too.

change

Nature's Miracle...but if the cat pees repeatedly in the same spot, you will have to use again and again and it's not cheap. It DOES work though.

N

Nomad

1. Pick up chair
2. Open front door
3. Throw chair out front door
4. Shut door

heee heee ;):tongue::redface:

Professional steam cleaning with- their special pre-treatment or professional dry cleaning. This has worked for me. But if the cat does it again....see my original three steps 'cause it wont work a second time. If money is an issue, see if you can get only the cushion professionally cleaned and clean the rest of the chair yourself using a homemade or over the counter product.

If you have to buy a new chair, perhaps you can go to a consignment shop (????). I would do this before living with a chair with- this type of very bad smell on it. AND if it has the smell on it, I do believe the cat is more likely to return to the scene of the crime. It is a no-win situation.

We had to make our cat an outside cat after this "incident."