How's your morning so far?

HMBgal

I have to wait and see. My youngest easy child granddaughter is doing her ballet performance this afternoon and there's family around. I think difficult child grandson will be fine. It's school that's making him crazy. And his father and his new wife and six children in the house, including a newborn. Gracious.

Confused

Well my day is bad once again- son is throwing violent tantrum because he wants only a specific ride on toy that I think he is too big for hes the size of a 9 year old as is. He wants it NOW not at Christmas even if my grandpa buys it. Add my grandpa bought him a car but my son doesnt know it, also its not the one he wants!!! He doesnt understand or care he is too big and I showed him ones that go up to age 10!!! But he doesnt want them. Is his mentality that behind or is he just being a spoiled picky kid?

Oh daughter doesnt want to even go to her two classes she wants all on line and only go out when she wants too. I read somewhere this makes them worse and fall more and more hermit style refusing to ever go to school again , work etc.. Its in their best interest to keep them active and in school even if part time. Is this true?

GuideMe

Not so hot. Dealing with hungover difficult child who called me last night at 1:00 am to come get her. I am very happy at least she didn't get in the car to drink and drive. That is a major plus, but still, my whole day is based on her not knowing where her car keys are and having to wait for her other difficult child friend to wake up because she has my difficult child keys. It's 1:10 pm here and she's still not awake. My difficult child does not understand how sick and tired I am of this. She thinks it's no big deal. Can't wait to leave at the end of the month woot woot!

GuideMe

Well my day is bad once again- son is throwing violent tantrum because he wants only a specific ride on toy that I think he is too big for hes the size of a 9 year old as is. He wants it NOW not at Christmas even if my grandpa buys it. Add my grandpa bought him a car but my son doesnt know it, also its not the one he wants!!! He doesnt understand or care he is too big and I showed him ones that go up to age 10!!! But he doesnt want them. Is his mentality that behind or is he just being a spoiled picky kid?

Oh daughter doesnt want to even go to her two classes she wants all on line and only go out when she wants too. I read somewhere this makes them worse and fall more and more hermit style refusing to ever go to school again , work etc.. Its in their best interest to keep them active and in school even if part time. Is this true?

About your daughter, I know many will disagree with me, but at this point, your daughter might have given up on school. Why keep trying to force a square peg into a circle? I have a list of online schools that go around your daughters schedule, whenever she feels like going, so this way you can afford headaches from school and truancy. Not everyone is made for high school. I sure wasn't. I got my GED , went to business school and eventually found a great career. Does it make me a terrible person because I quit high school? No I hardly think so. I know so many people who did graduate HS who turned out to be degenerates. So with that being said, it all depends on who you are as a person if you will succeed in life or not. I wouldn't say just because she doesn't want to go to school that she is recluse and her future will become a complete negative. I despise that the school systems are inflicting harsh punishments on parents and students for not going to high school. It is the students decision. If it's elementary school, that's a different story. I just don't see how we can force teenagers to go to school. This whole issue with my daughter back then gave me high blood pressure and effected my health greatly because I was always threatened with jail from truancy. It was horrible. It destroyed whatever health I had life.

Confused

GuideMe, Im so sorry. I cant even understand about drinking issues ..yet, but am also glad she called you! I hope you get your car keys back quick :) Hugs to you and time will fly by!

**** See Im glad you did something great with your life!!! Your right it can be done! Its willpower too I guess! I missed the whole Prom ( although I wouldn't of danced) and dont want my daughter to miss out on all that.. because I never went to high school not one day. Nothing wrong with a GED, I have one, then went to college off and on for several years finally got a Bachelors in Multidisciplinary Studies but no career. Tell me about our system!!! Its soo messed up! Then they test for the test not teach them materials. They fire soo many teachers and load the classrooms! I am looking into K12 and Keystone, I keep missing their calls cuz Im all over the place! She doesn't qualify for local school cuz she had to attend them.

GuideMe

GuideMe, Im so sorry. I cant even understand about drinking issues ..yet, but am also glad she called you! I hope you get your car keys back quick :) Hugs to you and time will fly by!

**** See Im glad you did something great with your life!!! Your right it can be done! Its willpower too I guess! I missed the whole Prom ( although I wouldn't of danced) and dont want my daughter to miss out on all that.. because I never went to high school not one day. Nothing wrong with a GED, I have one, then went to college off and on for several years finally got a Bachelors in Multidisciplinary Studies but no career. Tell me about our system!!! Its soo messed up! Then they test for the test not teach them materials. They fire soo many teachers and load the classrooms! I am looking into K12 and Keystone, I keep missing their calls cuz Im all over the place! She doesn't qualify for local school cuz she had to attend them.

Yes, of course. I give props to anyone who has completed HS, it is very hard for some of us. I don't ever want to take that away from anyone. I envy them. I also miss very much that I didn't get to go to prom. However, I just couldn't complete HS for whatever reason at the time. Your daughter may get lucky and get asked to the prom anyway even if she doesn't attend. My daughter was able to go to one prom before she dropped out of HS, so at least she got to go. She will always have that memory. And that's where my daughter went, to KEYSTONE. I paid $1.900.00 for the year, but the best money I ever spent to get truancy off of my back. KEYSTONE does not report absences to the state, mainly because you can have your own schedule. You have one full year to complete each grade. Truancy is not as strict in other states as it is mine. They were threatening me so badly, and literally put me into severe panic for a whole year. I kid you not when I say it effected my health greatly. I was living in hell.

Keystone has a great community . The students have their own facebook group, it's really cool. They meet up, with supervision of course, do class trips and even have prom and graduation I believe. At first, getting use to the online system was very hard for us, but after a couple of months, we got it. Just be prepared for confusion at first.

As for my daughters keys, still watching her trying to find them. I told her to offer a small cash reward for them. Please, can't even deal.

HMBgal

Knee deep in poop and alligators, which is usual for a Monday. Many of my students are very dysregulated from the weekend, so getting and keeping them on task is kind of exhausting.

TerryJ2

I hope you are all doing better now that Monday is over!

Confused, I feel for you. That focus on Just. One. Thing.
It never ends! We did a "family project" with-our daughter on Thanksgiving weekend. She is getting a Master's in Art Therapy. She wanted all four of us--difficult child, husband, me, and daughter--to create a family art project. It could be based on a particular artist, or a style, or movement, or just random input. The idea was for all of us to participate. (And yes, she observed and I'm sure that she told the instructor that we are a dysfunctional family. :) )

Sigh. Okay, so we did it. difficult child, who is now almost 18, slouched in his chair and refused to participate. We had agreed (well, the other 3 of us) to put our last name in the center of a piece of canvas, and we would each work on a different letter. difficult child did that part just fine. Then we divided the canvas into four sections and each did our own thing. difficult child just sat there. "I HATE art."
"It's not about art. It's about the project and about working together."
I suggested that he draw a random squiggle like his girlfriend taught him. They bought notebooks and drew shapes throughout. Great project. He is very good at it.

Of course, he had to argue. "She never taught me how to draw squiggles. I don't know what you're talking about!!"
He sat there for 5 more min. I let him pout. Then I drew a shape to give him the idea. He said, "She didn't teach me that. I knew how to do it by myself."

So the issue was about how I didn't know that she hadn't taught him; I didn't know that he already knew how to draw it; he didn't know that it was considered art; and there is a name for that type of design (but heck if I know what it is right now).
I realized that he will always, always, always get stuck on some weird item before he can move forward. And I was so proud of myself for staying calm.

Anyway, Confused, you will learn how to pace yourself, and how to detach from your g'sfg. You will forget that they even have problems sometimes, when they're older, and then their issues will jump right out and surprise you all over again.
You will get through this.

Confused

Guide Me, Glad you got your keys back and to hear she doesnt have drinking issues. I hope your able to relax more now :)

HMBgal, I like that :) Hope your week goes smoother with the students!

TerryJ2, Oh wow, I like the idea of you all doing a project together and that your son finally participated! Congrats to your daughter! Thanks, Im hoping things work out just sooner then later!

..I like this, thank you everyone for sharing!!! Feel free to keep adding!!! Hugs all :)