Hubs has Sepsis

Lil

Oh Leafy...BIG HUGS to you! That is just horrible and yes, nurses are busy, overworked people, but THAT is why they have nurses aides and orderlies and such...someone should be taking care of him! That's just completely unacceptable.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm thinking the complaint should be directed to the Director of Nursing or DON.

S/he is the person with overall responsibility for patient nursing care. The issues your husband is having are actually CNA and LPN issues and are absolutely unacceptable. The DON is the individual with final responsibility.

I would cc: the patient ombudsman of the hospital as well.

New Leaf

Thank you so much for your suggestions. Hubs is still in the hospital. The doctor had his PICC put in, but he is spiking fevers at night so they won't release him. The lesion on his head looks more swollen to me, I am taking pictures of it to compare. They do not seem concerned about it, but I am......doctor doesn't think that is the source of infection, they think the staph "seeded" there.
Last night he had rigors with his fever, shaking all over. He is very swollen in his legs. Trying to get up more and walk, but is very weak. This is pretty trying on all of us, we are hoping the antibiotics will kick in. I am waiting to hear from the docs this morning for an update.
Thank you all very much for your prayers and kind words.
Leafy

New Leaf

This is supposed to be the best hospital........how times have changed. They had stockings but were not checking them, they were filthy. I took them home to wash. Ugh. Just hoping he can come home soon and get the heck out of there.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I didn't even THINK to ask that! I just assumed that they'd have anti-embolism stockings on him because they "always" put those on when a person is bedridden, unless there are open wounds. Either those or the intermittent pressure booties/wraps.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I always hated the things, but I hated the idea of a DVT or pulmonary embolism even more.

My big beef about having to stay in bed is that with my arthritis, I get so sore and stiff that I can barely move when the time comes.

New Leaf

I think that is hubs problem, he has arthritis also in his right knee. Pcp suggested replacement, but who needs one more bionic part that attracts infection? I have read articles about arthritis caused by infections, makes sense to me.....
If only our d cs understood the perils of aging and appreciated the vim and vigor of their youth......I know 20 somethings don't even think that far into their futures.....I sure didn't have a clue at that age.

Lil

Time for the lighter side:

245261-I-Am-Not-Old...-I-Am-Crispy.jpg

Being-old.jpg

medical-doctor-old_man-ache-pain-growing_pains-gwan660_low.jpg

And for the Ladies only:

Rude-quotes-Im-getting-old.jpg

Californiablonde

Oh Leafy, I will be keeping you and your husband in my prayers. I once had Sepsis that resulted from a bad kidney infection about 8 years ago. It was very, very painful. I literally felt like I was about to drop dead at any second. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Sending prayers your way.

New Leaf

Thank you CB. You know, I have been on Sepsis Alliance website and they have testimonials and they all talk about the extreme pain and loss of cognitive function. I do not think doctors understand this. At least not the ones hubs has. I see a big difference in him (of course he is ill), but.....this is his third time dealing with this and looking back, he has declined in health from each episode. I think doctors and nurses need to know this. It is very hard on the body and mind. I intend to get him to a therapist to work on that, asap. Being a man, he says " I am okay" but I know he is not.
I am glad you survived your bout with sepsis CB, it is very dangerous........

Leafy

Copabanana

New leaf. I am sorry I am checking in so late in the game. I hope things are on the way to better. I am sorry so much is on your plate and feel bad for D H. I know not a bit about sepsis but will add this: I would resist all attempts by hospital to send him home early--by that I mean before you are sure they have found the cause of what has happened to him, and know that whatever treatment they are giving is effective and working.

Very often in my experience hospitals try to shuffle the problem to somebody else, especially if they caused it.

susiestar

Roll With It
I think you need to become very assertive regarding your husband's care. Stop tolerating them leaving him filthy. You cannot get rid of an infection if filth is present. He has toxins and germs in his urine and stool, and having them all over him just makes him sicker. Go into the hospital, stay as long as it takes to get a real doctor, NOT an intern and maybe not even a resident. Having IVs and the PICC line means he has an open wound for germs/filth to use to get into his body, and not cleaning him means he gets sicker and more types of germs get into him. Stop accepting the situation, get a patient representative, give her a written list of the problems, let her know if it continues that you will seek advice from an attorney because this violates the most basic rules of care Make sure you take photos of how you find him even though they will break your heart.

Find the office for the top administrator of the hospital. GO and sit and wait to speak to them. Tell them the problems a nd that photos of a man left in filth with dirty wounds created by the doctors, as that is what the biopsy is, would make a great story for the media - and give him just a couple of days to fix the situation.

I know your time is scarce and this might mean a day off, but I think it needs to happen

Remember, document document document - every person you speak to, what they do, etc

Feeling Sad

Leafy, I just saw this. Your family is going through so much.

I agree with the others. You have to contact someone about his lack of care. You should not have to do their work. Stay on top of them about it.

Copa is right. Keep him there as long as possible.

Yes, men get grouchier in the hospital and his condition just adds to it. Just smile and know that he will be back to his old self when the infection passes.

I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care of yourself and get enough sleep and eat. It is very eady to forget about this, but you need your strength and presence of mind to deal with all of this.

I hope that the medications kick in soon or that they find a better one. I also hope that they conclusively find the source of the infection.

We are all here for you. You have always been there for us with your kind words of support and relaxing videos.

New Leaf

I would resist all attempts by hospital to send him home early-
Hi Copa, I hope all is well, I have missed you. Thank you for this, yes, I do not want him to come home before they figure this out, but HE wants to come home. So yes, I do have to go and advocate that as well.
Make sure you take photos of how you find him even though they will break your heart.
Thank you Susie, I wish I had earlier, didn't really think of it, but poor dear, it was embarrassing for him, well friggin degrading, you know? I will definitely take photos if I find him like this again. I will also talk with admin.
I hope that the medications kick in soon or that they find a better one. I also hope that they conclusively find the source of the infection.
Me, too Feeling, it is so frustrating. Staph aureus is becoming resistant to antibiotics too, so it is a battle.
We are going to go visit, so I will sign off now.
Thank you so much all, for your kind words and support.
You are an oasis in a big ass desert.
leafy