Hubs has Sepsis

New Leaf

Whew somewhat exhausted. Hubs came home yesterday, he pushed for it, I didn't. He is still very weak and swollen.
The doctor said he is stabilized, so out he goes.

Well then, we shall just have to work at getting him better. He is much less agitated at home. That is a good thing.
I have taken a weeks family leave and will take more If necessary.
It is one day at a time. With home intravenous therapy, nurses come once a week to change the dressing and take blood samples (testing for infection and kidney function). The antibiotic is once a day and really is not too difficult to get the hang of. The rest is up to hubs body to fight off the infection. Keeping an eye on his temps, which were better today. Going to see his heart doctor on Monday, then other docs involved.
Lots of prayers and trying to stay steady state and present. Deep breaths help.

My humble thanks to all for your kindness and support.
Blessed to be here, mahalo nui loa,
Leafy

Kalahou

Thinking of you folks, Leafy.
Taking a week off sounds like it is what you need to do to keep a close eye on hubs' situation, therapy, and behaviors. With your classes and exams over, I'm hoping you can slow down and take healing time for yourself also and get peaceful.

Congratulations on passing your certification. I know it was worth it all. Good job!
Malama pono, dear.

Scent of Cedar *

I am happy to hear hubs is safely home, and that you will have people who will come in to help care for him. Now, you will be able to rest, too. And you passed your Certification!

:O)

Nice things are happening for you Leafy, and I am glad.

Cedar

Nomad

Staff member
Prayers for you. Please be extra careful. Look into oil of oregano, if his stomach isn't too messed up. It stops infections for me like some kind of bomb. Can work well with antibiotics which are imperative here. Watch him like a hawk. Sepsis is a very very dangerous thing.
What did you get your certificate in? Congratulations!!!

pigless in VA

Good work, Leafy! I also think being at home helps the patient to get more rest; it is impossible to sleep at a hospital. Sending some healing vibes over to Hubs. ~~~~~~~~~~~

Feeling Sad

Leafy, I am so glad that he is back home. Yes, they do rest better and are more relaxed at home...both are healing properties.

Just take deep breaths and one day at a time.

Congratulations on passing your exam. Way to go warrior sister! Yay!

You rode a very dangerous 'wave' of life and are now in calmer shallow waters...nearing the warm sands of the welcoming beach. Take care, my sister.

Copabanana

I can imagine how much more relaxed your husband is at home. I can guess at the work, too. I know how hard it is to balance one's own needs with the patient's. Personally, I do not know how to do it well, so that I do not lose myself.

Maybe others do and they can chime in so that you do not lose yourself in this.

A week off work to care for somebody who is quite ill, even well-loved, is not time off in any sense that I can think of. I would try to remember that and be as kind as I can be to you.

New Leaf

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. Sepsis is a very, very bad condition. Hubs is still very swollen, exhausted and ill. It will be interesting to know what his heart doctor says. He is very short of breath at the slightest exertion which is a part of the sepsis, but has me wondering. Although he is home, we are still deep in the woods.
I can imagine how much more relaxed your husband is at home. I can guess at the work, too. I know how hard it is to balance one's own needs with the patient's. Personally, I do not know how to do it well, so that I do not lose myself.
Hubs would rather be home, but it is a struggle for all. He is just so weak and agitated. Trying to work at the balance, you hit the nail on the head Copa, it is a drastic change. Not only do loved ones become the nurse, we are the orderlies, housekeeping, cook and so on. Hubs does not have to put on any niceties for cute nurses. I have to remind him that although he is sick he needs to try to treat his family kindly. No small task, indeed.
My hats off to all caregivers out there. The world becomes very small when dealing with a loved ones severe illness. I think in the old days, hubs would have still been in the hospital. Now, they boot you out as soon as they can.
It is both good and bad.
I will try and get in my walk today.
Hopefully I am able.
I am a caged bird, but will try to find time to "sing".
(((Hugs)))
leafy

Feeling Sad

You are in my thoughts, Leafy. Yes, it takes a lot of patience. Watch comedies, walk, listen to music, take breaks, and treat yourself with extreme kindness.

pasajes4

Do not hesitate to ask for help from family and friends. Perhaps there are people who would offer to send meals so that you would have one less thing to worry about.

Scent of Cedar *

The world becomes very small when dealing with a loved ones severe illness.

It does, Leafy. So small, and so tightly bound. Here are stars for you, and a emblem of courage and strength and meaning.

12373092160d0f4d1c176c297a809073.jpg

Here is link to a caregiving site filled with much sweetness and advice.

http://www.helpingyoucare.com/ourtimeforcare™-caregiver-self-care/inspiration-humor

And this:

help-desk-patience-programwitch.jpg

Cedar

:O)

New Leaf

Thank you everyone for your encouraging words. Hoku relieved me yesterday so I could go coach my paddling kids. We had a nice group for the first day. It was good to get outside in the fresh air.
Heart doctor gave hubs some water pills, so hopeful that will relieve some of the swelling.:uncomfortableness:
It could be a combo of the sepsis and side effect of the antibiotic. The company called that delivers and said to infuse every other day, so he will get a break today. He is still very uncomfortable, but has found some rest in the zero gravity chair we got for beach going one year.
Day to day, hoping for strength and recovery.
I appreciate your kindness and prayers, very, very much.
(((HUGS)))
leafy

New Leaf

Back in ER. High temp and short of breath. Waiting for word from doctor, but now hubs has bilateral pulmonary edema. He is on a mask breathing treatment to try to force the water out of his lungs. We are looking at ICU. I hate this........