Huge Gardening Tip

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Don't leave it until August.

:rofl:

This is a beautiful day here in ohio. Low temps and little humidity. (of course I gave in and let husband put the a/c in downstairs lol) So I told Darrin I'd let him play out this morning.

You know what? I think that's the longest I've sat outside all summer. And my yard shows it. Talk about out of sight out of mind. sheesh. Flower beds overgrown with both weeds and thistles. (thanks to husband taking a weed eater to thistles instead of pulling them out) Aubrey's yard toys strewn all over. I won't discribe the back yard. Let's just say the dogs have taken over.

So I decided since Darrin was playing out anyway, I might as well get to work on the yard. We started tackling the flower beds. I still have 2 to go, but I'm waiting an hour or so til the sun drops down behind the neighbors trees to do them. Made husband get off his lazy duff and mow the yard. lol

Hopefully tomorrow will be just as nice and I can tackle the backyard. I'd like the grands to be able to play in their playhouses and on their jungle gyms. Currently the dogs are playing on the slides and think the playhouses are a dog's equivilant to a castle. :rofl:

Unfortunately I have a zillion thistles to dig up out there as well.:faint: All thanks to husband and his weed eater.:mad:

But I will never let the yard go til august again. ack!:surprise:

klmno

Lisa- thank you! That MUST be what I have doing wrong-

Glad you enjjoyed the day! We had beautiful weather here, too!

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
someone here was talking about thistle milk......don't ask me how to milk a thistle, so you are pulling up a cash crop......(yeah, I wasn't buying it either).......I just can't be out in the sun like I used to.....blood pressure medications just take it out of me in the sun......so I have basically tried to pull the most offensive weeds and I'm calling the rest----natural landscaping.......some weeds do have pretty flowers.....that includes thistle.....

Sara PA

You're on to something. I did my yard once in July and pulled up all the thistle. I just finished doing it again and I saw just one thistle in the whole (tiny) yard.

My problem is the morning glory attacking my yard from the one next to me. I beginning to think you have to weed daily to get rid of morning glory. Or spray the neighbor's yard with weed killer when no one's looking.

Marguerite

Sara, you could try secret spraying of the neighbour's yard, or another option is to paint the weeds on your side with weed killer. It should go back through the roots and kill it off.

Surely the morning glory is a noxious weed for you? If it is, dob in the neighbour. If it is not, find something even more invasive (such as running bamboo) and plant that along your fence line. But first, dig down around your entire property about two feet and plant some heavy weed barriers all around.

Or maybe do that anyway.

For a list of really nasty (and sometimes pretty) noxious weeds, just ask.

Marg