humming in class...how horrible! gesh!

tinamarie1

Ya know, somethings that difficult child does, I look at and say to myself, he is a 10 year old boy..come on! He has 2 teachers (they change classes during the day). One teacher is very bubbly, outgoing, and friendly, and she gives rewards more than consequences most of the time. The other teacher might as well have her broom parked outside the door. difficult child came home the other day all fit to be tied. He said that he started humming (he said he didn't even realize he was doing it at first). He said she jumped up from her desk, grabbed his behavior sheet and took him out in the hall way and had a stern talk with him and then gave him bad marks for the day.
He has also gotten in trouble for tapping his pencil and whisling in the bathroom by this teacher. I just sometimes think, man if these things drive her this type of crazy, what is going to happen when difficult child reveils his true self to her one day.
How do you guys handle these situations? I told him that he knows how sensitive she is, and he is going to have to work on being that "robot" and being perfectly still and quiet when hes in her classroom. The other teacher sends home all sorts of praise notes and rewards by the way.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
We had it written into difficult child's IEP that if the teacher or aide notices her fidgiting, she is to get a 5 minute break to either the bathroom or the nurses office. Just to kind of get it out of her system and then come back to class. It actually worked most of the time, but she only had one teacher who was a jerk about it along the way. That policy was in place for about 4 years.

AllStressedOut

All three of my difficult children do these types of things. husband walks around whistling all the time and he doesn't know it, so they come by it honestly.

In all honesty, I can't stand senseless noise. Talking doesn't bother me. Tapping a pencil does, or clicking your tongue repeateadly. But the more I learn about different disorders and coping mechanisms, the more I understand.

I'm sure there is a book or article out there somewhere that is specific to these types of things. The whistling actually helps husband stay on topic. He will whistle about what he is thinking, or what he hears, it can actually be pretty funny if you figure out what tune he is whistling. My difficult children do it for concentration. It helps block out the other noises in the room or thoughts running through their heads if they make a noise themselves.

She probably doesn't think this way, I know I didn't. Why don't you drop her an email about how this helps him focus and that it isn't intentional. When I first learned of ODD, this type of behavior was actually something described as being ODD. Now that I know more about my kids and their DXs, I realize it isn't always them trying to be a pain. She needs to come to this conclusion or she's going to need a padded room before winter break.

BestICan

This community rocks.
Hi,

My difficult child's teacher talked to me a few weeks ago when difficult child sang at his desk all day. She wasn't sure whether he was being defiant or not, but I don't think so, since he does it all the time at home when he's trying to focus or calm down. It's a self-soothing technique for him, but it is kind of disruptive.

For my difficult child, a quiet alternative for the singing and humming is to chew gum. The teachers won't allow that, but it totally works! Also, my difficult child's teacher gave him a big pink eraser that he could fidget with quietly. She's a pretty understanding woman.

difficult child's therapist has also been working with him on quiet ways to fidget or breathe deeply when he's feeling restless.

I would definitely talk to the broom-riding teacher (lol!), explain that difficult child is likely doing this to keep from being MORE disruptive, and give her some helpful suggestions.

BusynMember

To be fair, my Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) son hums a lot too, sometimes without knowing it and it IS distracting to other kids. I don't think she should PUNISH him, but he has to respond to being told to stop, as my son did. My son forgets that there are others in class who also have trouble staying on task, not just him, and kids who have sensory issues can't concentrate with noise like that. And also kids with sensory issues hum! It can be a stimulant; it is with my boy. I don't get upset with teachers reminding my son to be quiet, but I would be fuming if they made it a behavioral issue. It's not. You know your son best.

weaselqt

I can tell you that some teachers have NO patience - I knew one that freaked when kids coughed. She would send them out. :smile:

I can also tell you that since I work with difficult child's, that the tapping and humming can get out of hand with them. When one starts tapping, if you don't stop them then it will get into full-blown drummer boy/girl! Seriously! Also, humming, they become oblivious they do it and then it gets louder and then the kid who is tapping (drumming) gets going then you have another...you get the picture.

It also happens in inclusion - fidgety tapping, humming, distracting the rest of the class.

I also believe that the teacher over reacted - she should have asked him to stop, gave a warning, then marked on conduct if he still won't stop. :nonono:

I do like the IEP that allows a 5 minute break for being fidgety. :bravo:

But, this teacher just seems too old school - stiff collar and all. :devil:

Good luck and see if you can have something like a 5 minute break for him. :whew:

Wiped Out

Staff member
I agree she could have handled it differently. As a teacher the noises (humming, tapping, singing) etc...) can be a real distraction to others. I know the noises can be very distracting for me. I'll usually just say whoever is humming please stop. That way the person isn't identified and it's usually enough to make the person realize they are doing it.