Hurricane Irene - Stay safe those in the path

T

TeDo

I second that. Please prepare and I will be praying, rattling, and pretzeling for those of you in the path. Please keep in touch.

donna723

I always worry about these things since my daughter, sister in law and grandson live in Charleston, SC. They're about thirty miles from the coast though so hopefully if they get it where they are, it won't be so bad.

Everybody please stay safe.

DDD

husband is out updating our supplies. Guess the stores along the possible paths are having good sales.

I always feel sorry for people in earthquake and tornado areas because they are in danger without any warning. on the other hand it gets on your nerves a bit when you know days and days in advance that a hurricane "may" hit your State....or maybe bypass you completely. It's like a Weather difficult child!

Everyone does need to prepare to stay safe. Thanks for caring. DDD

keista

Well, I'm prepared INSIDE as much as I can be. Power outage always poses a problem, but being on the same grid as the hospital, it's usually not a long problem. (knock on wood that a very local line affecting our house or street doesn't get taken out.)

Outside? That's a different story. Kinda hard to batten things down when we keep getting hit with severe 'afternoon' storms. Today's started 30 minutes after I got back from morning appointments.

I LOVE big storms, so I'm excited.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I'm mostly irritated by Ms. Irene; she's messing up the start of my vacation in the Outer Banks. Was supposed to leave Sunday to head down there. Hoping I can get in there on Monday, but will have to see what happens...

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
My neighbor told me today that the hurricane is moving east and that it may bypass Cape Hattaras and hit the southern part of CT??? No one else has said this.

I hope weather reports are being exaggerated and that everyone is safe! Just in case, I'm telling H to fill up the gas can for the generator...better to be prepared than without running water.

keista

Good idea H&R. The last projection I saw had it hitting, Difficult Child, Jersey, NYC areas. All the models have very similar tracks, heading your way.

TerryJ2

Thank you, Mattsmom.
I'm planning on a tropical storm Sunday. We'll see.
CrazyinVA, that IS crazy! You're headed in the wrong direction! Well, Sun. a.m. the forecast could be completely different. And if you do go down there (that is, if it's just a tropical storm and the state doesn't shut the hurricane gates on the fwys) the merchants will wait on you hand and foot, they'll be so grateful for tourists.

H

HaoZi

I've been watching this storm, too. Star and Janet are the first that came to mind on that Eastern Seaboard path. Hope everyone is prepped to batten down or get out if needed. I used to do the waiting game (and waiting out) game with those storms, too. Until Katrina.

DammitJanet

I dont think we are going to have anything to worry about unless Irene takes a drastically western path that what is forecasted now. I do think we will get some wind and rain...hoping for quite a bit of rain. We need it. I have a feeling the Outer Banks will get hit again but this pretty normal for them. I think its going to head in from the Norfolk area and head up 95 and take a freight train straight up through NYC to Boston and the rest of NE.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
As my boss just said to me, "you should be able to get down there, you just may not have a house to go to!" Ha! I need this vacation SO badly ... I REALLY hope that the rental house does ok, and that flooding doessn't close the bridge over the sound. Watching and waiting ..

DammitJanet

crazy...dont count on it. It is really looking like it is heading towards there. Now they are worrying about the beaches around Wilmington. Not only that but it is probably going to be all over the roads between your place and the Outer banks. As big as this thing is, even if it just runs the the coastline, it will flood the James River and all the inland rivers up and down the east coast. My step-sister lives in northwest Richmond and that is where my step-mom is going because my step-sis lives in a brick house and my Dads house has the bad habit of attracting trees in storms. Thankfully I am 100 miles inland but they are going to call me when it hits.

TerryJ2

Just thinking about the power going out, and the AC, makes me sweat. Hot flashes are bad enough, but with-no AC and that horrid, mildewy smell that creeps up on the 2nd day with-o power, ewwwww ...
Yes, I will have to stock up on groceries tomorrow.
I like the idea of frozen water, which I read on the other thread.