Hurricane Support Thread

DDD

I'm not sure how many, or if any, of our family is being impacted by the Hurricane. on the other hand, if any of you or your families are living thru that misery...I'm sending caring thoughts and prayers. DDD

TerryJ2

I think it's much better than Katrina. But I'll be a lot of people are with-o power and won't see this thread until the weekend.
Still, I'm sending hugs and dry thoughts.

T

TeDo

I just heard on the radio that power lines are down in some areas and they can't send crews out to repair them until the winds die down (no sooner than tomorrow sometime) because of the danger.

Sending caring ((((HUGS)))) and many prayers to all that are being affected.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I have as yet to catch news reports, but I gather from articles on yahoo, rain is the worse issue with this one.........hard and lots of it with a slow moving system. That was my impression anyway. Brandon isn't gonna like it but soon as the little ones arrive Nana is popping Connor into bed for his nap and watching the news for a bit to get a real update on it.

DDD

They are rescuing people from attics and roofs again. Evidently alot of people would leave their pets and decided to stay at home. How ironic it is that this is the anniversary of Katrina. DDD

DammitJanet

DDD, I have been watching this most of the day and trying to think if we have any folks down there now. Not sure. Thankfully the new levies and the drain system worked well. Unfortunately some people didnt listen to the evacuation orders even though they had pet friendly shelters this time.

I know people think a cat 1 hurricane is nothing big but obviously no two storms are the same. Some folks are saying this one was worse for them than Katrina.

Lisa you guys in the mid-west need to watch out for the storm coming your way because you could get up to 6-8 inches of rain and maybe gusting winds. I dont know how bad the winds will be by the time it reaches you but this sucker is not normal...lol.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet, I've been watching that part of it too, as much as I can while helping darrin with homework and trying to chase two toddlers. The yard sale planned for the weekend is temp cancelled, will probably be next weekend. Simply because we have far too many big bulky items I'm not even going to consider trying to drag back into the house to get it out of the rain. Not to mention all the other "stuff".

The sheer volume of water in this one made it worse than katrina for certain areas despite the fact that it's just a cat 1 storm, well that and it's moving so darn slow which is just letting it dump even more water than usual.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL Janet................um actually, I'm working hard on getting them before this weekend. I dunno if I'll manage it or not. I have to order online and they're difficult to find cheap where shipping is affordable. But I don't want to miss the opportunity to gather that much rain water at once. LOL

Star*

call 911........call 911
As always this board - and it's members think of others in a time of hurt and need........LOVELY!

I think it's bad, but considering it could have been much worse? It's hard to say "Well It's ONLY so many people in a shelter".....as a survivor of numerous floods, hurricanes, fires? I can tell you shelter life ain't no picnic if you can get in at ALL - AND they don't take dogs. What amazes me still is everyone saying "WELL THEY WERE TOLD TO GET OUT..." and you think - "OH yeah - with what gas money - friggin gas is $4.00 a gallon there...and they are some of the most poverty stricken people......No one thought a cat 1 'cain would do this much damage - but I can tell you this much - I live two miles from a river and can't get flood insurance - Go figure. If the three rivers here ever go? I won't get my house back.

DDD

I've had a bunch of similar thoughts, Star. Really I have no idea what methods are used to help people evacuate. I know in Miami the tolls were suspended on the roads and the buses were free and alot of schools were opened as evacuation shelters with the assumption that people could reach the neighborhood schools or designated churches. In established neighborhoods very often neighbors helped neighbors lock up their homes and get to shelters.

All that sounds good BUT there are alot of isolated people who live far from others...or live purposely with-o contact with others. Sadly I can understand the rationale (although I get that it is not rational) that if you leave your limited possessions behind..you will be left with nothing.

I also understand that if you are middle class you might hesitate to be crammed into unfamiliar space with people of dubious nature and might be afraid to expose your children to unhealthy strangers. Plus there likely is a strong sense of false pride involved. If you're used to living "nicely" then you wouldn't hesitate to check into a hotel...but...a shelter??

My last observation before I get ready for work has to do with communication. Watching the weather channel the number of people with-o power kept rapidly growing. The newscasters, without a pause, proudly announced that they were available on ipads etc. so "everyone" can keep up with the latest developments. WTH? What percentage of people in need have the updated technology to track three days of disaster coverage? Aren't ipads like cellphones and require charging? We could likely afford that type of equipment but I bet we are in the majority of the population and just get by with-o those extras. Disasters are just that. My thoughts and prayers go to all the people. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
DDD, honestly? You'd be shocked and amazed at how many poverty stricken folk have ipads and cell phones, not to mention computers. I'm not knocking them for it. I used to be hard nosed about it to some degree, but then reality smacked me upside the head and I got a new view, so now.......well, they're nearly as vital as a land line phone used to be for things such as job hunting alone. (I can't comment about ipads per se because I don't even know what they are lol ) Some can recharge them in their cars if they have adapters, or even in the shelters.

But I always wonder just how they expect all those people to just up and go like that. Those with family or friends outside of the danger zone might not have it too bad, same for those who can afford a hotel or motel. But even getting to a shelter can be difficult under certain conditions, and next to impossible under others. If you're low income or worse, it's obviously going to be even more of a challenge.

I've been through forced evacuation tiwce. Once as a kid when a train filled with some toxic fuel type cars blew and took 1/8th of the city with it......and threatened to take another 1/8th. Now we thought to take the dog, because we were headed to my aunt Janet's. But I'm not joking when I say that we literally sat in the drive for almost 6-8 hrs just waiting for someone to let us back out onto the street. It didn't get any better until we got out of the city. (Janet lived in the country) All the while there was a ticking ever so barely controlled time bomb waiting to explode again.

Second time was another train accident........toxic gas this time. Travis was newborn. We didn't have time to pack, but father in law was determined to have time to pack anyway. Then it was too much for one car, so husband took the bulk in our car and me and easy child and Travis rode with mother in law and father in law. Again that ungodly non moving traffic. Hours to get from West Carrollton (suburb) to the convention center in downtown dayton. Then?? We realized that we'd lost husband in traffic along the way, regardless of the snails pace.......and he had all the bottles and baby formula and diapers. omg That stint was 3 days of hades........the shelter was ok, food was ok (they did their best to make sure everyone ate decent), sleeping......forget it......frightened children and anxious adults......not happening.

How those without cars got out in either situation is beyond me. Those with cars were having tons of trouble. Neither case was an entire city either and it was nightmarish. I couldn't imagine a whole city trying to leave at once. omg