Hurricane warning to those in the northeast corridor.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Good Luck getting one. A few days before a storm they are usually sold out.
. Hahaha, I was just placating Janet, keista-you blew my cover! I don't think we will see much action up here, by the time it arrives, it likely will not even be a CAT 1, just a TD. Unless a tree smashes through our roof, which could happen but likely won't, we are all set. I work in insurance on the adjusting side...we are on NOAA steadily. It's been downgraded and once it comes across the LI sound, it will cool down and then when it hit land, it will weaken again. The shorelines will get it worse than the NWern part of our state.

keista

Yeah, I know, just wanted to raise some ruckus.

In CT you do have that great buffer. I've got friends and family in NYC and Western LI. If NJ doesn't break up the storm, they're gonna get socked pretty good.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst. We'll be on the edges here in Central VA, but it's a big-a** storm. Have plenty of batteries, water, lamp oil and non-perishable food. The hardest part will be entertaining a 4-year old if the power stays out long ;-) I live behind a firehouse so I tend to get power back very quickly, if I lose it at all. Hoping to salvage at least part of my vacation at the beach next week but we'll see; if rental house is too damaged to occupy I'll probably just come on back to work and save my vacation days. Won't know until they let folks back onto the Outer Banks.

tiredmommy

One thing I love about my car (2009 Toyota Matrix) is that it has an actual AC plug, no adapter needed. We've used it on roadtrips when Duckie's asthma flares up by plugging in her nebulizer. It's very convenient because we've been able to give her a breathing treatment on our way. My car doesn't have a cigarette lighter. But it does have the AC plug and an input for an MP3 player. Very convenient!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yeah, I know, just wanted to raise some ruckus.

In CT you do have that great buffer. I've got friends and family in NYC and Western LI. If NJ doesn't break up the storm, they're gonna get socked pretty good.

Instigator! lol. You're right, we do have a buffer - LI. I have to say, it's been a bit nostalgic getting ready for this storm - I grew up on the island and as a kid losing power was great fun!

tiredmommy

Be safe, klmno! I think what concerns me most about this is that it will be hitting less than a week after the earthquake. Some of the buildings may have undetected damage and now a whole lot of wind & water is coming. I love the big cities, but I wouldn't want to be there this weekend.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Worried here as well. And ditto TM with the earthquake deal, heckova way to discover you had structural damage from the quake. :(

Stay safe. Saying prayers for you all.

donna723

OMG!!! Does anyone want to go swimming? My daughter sent this to me today. It was taken in an area not far from where they live in Charleston, SC. I think they're missing the worst of the storm but if I had my choice between wind and rain and THIS, I think I'd take my chances with the wind and rain!!!

[video=youtube_share;N1hWPvOZF3k]http://youtu.be/N1hWPvOZF3k[/video]

I really hope this link works ... I'm not too good at this!

DDD

Good Grief, Donna. When was that filmed????? This week?????

I don't often click to watch video clips but I was curious about yours. My Southern brain in blown away!

DDD

DammitJanet

Sigh...sorry I am being a mother hen. I just dont want to lose anyone in some subway filled with water and have them drowning. I, on the other hand, have my car accessories at the ready! My car doesnt have a cigarette lighter either but I did have to get an adapter to fit it for either the cell phone or house plug.

We have already been getting bands of this thing since about 2:30. I watched it beginning to hit right at my house as I was coming home from picking up my prescriptions. I was going to snap pictures of the clouds coming in when I got to my house but by then it was too late! It was pouring and the wind was about 20 mph gusts. We are expecting about 2 to 3 inches and 25 to 35 mph winds but we may get up to 50 mph gusting winds.

I dont think they are going to re-open the roads back to the outer banks this week to tourists. Probably locals. We shall see. This sucker is really big. Its not so much the strength of the wind but the size of storm.

donna723

DDD, my daughter passed this on from someone else but from what it said, the video was taken this morning! Goose Creek is a suburb of Charleston, where my sister in law's family lived. Can you imagine if that boat tipped over!!!!! Any one of those gators looks big enough to tip that boat if they came up underneath it!

keista

By the time I clicked, it said it was removed. Yeah, critters are a huge problem when it floods.

And yeah, the rain is bad, the wind is bad, but generally the most damage is done by flooding - either from the rain or the storm surge. I'm so glad my house is on a hill.

TerryJ2

Donna, the video was removed. Did it show alligators running for their lives?
That's weird.
I wonder where they go?

DDD

I got husband to come sit beside me at the computer so I could show him your video. Ooops! Was it deleted because it was scarey or because it was bogus?? It really was wild and crazy. DDD

keista

If you're still waiting for Irene, don't forget to do ALL your laundry. You can fold and put away later. If power is out, you might not be able to do it for a while.

DammitJanet

I have been having rain at my house since roughly 2:30 this afternoon. Tony was at the coast of NC this morning at about 7 am boarding up a bank and it was already raining.

According to the Weather Channel, Irene just hit the NC coast and she is still 13 hours away!

Can you imagine that? That is how big and how slow this storm is.

I hope Everywoman is okay. I just heard that they had to evacuate some areas of Pauleys Island which is where she lives.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
If you're still waiting for Irene, don't forget to do ALL your laundry. You can fold and put away later. If power is out, you might not be able to do it for a while.

VERY good point! I'm starting mine tonight and running the dishwasher in the morning. And...buying paper plates and cups so I don't have to run it again for a couple of days. Yeesh, it's all this little things that can really foil things up!