Hurricane

TerryJ2

This is so awful. New Orleans cannot withstand another one like this. Looks like Miss will bear the brunt, though. I love Nagin's terminology:

>The evacuation of New Orleans becomes mandatory at 8 a.m. Sunday ... Nagin called Gustav the storm of the century and told residents to "get your butts out of New Orleans now."

"This is the real deal, not a test," Nagin said as he issued the order, warning residents that staying would be "one of the biggest mistakes of your life." He emphasized that the city will not offer emergency services to anyone who chooses to stay behind.<

I had a nightmare last night about a tornado. I have a lot of those. I am hurrying everyone to the basement and no one will listen to me. The ones who finally do come down, go outside b4 the storm has passed and get nailed. A clear reflection of my life right now... I'm the only one who can see the danger and am there alone, saving myself.

Maybe after this psychiatric hospital visit, my dreams will change a bit and I'll find that we're all in the basement together, safe and sound. :)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I can't believe they're getting hit again. Storm of the century, huh? What was the last one, a spring shower?? :faint:

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry NO is getting hit with this again - ditto for the rest of the region. I have strong memories of being upset when hurricanes would hit Florida. My grandparents lived there and I had many private crying jags from fear that they would die from the storm.

My prayers go out to all who are in this area.

Terry, I hope that your nightmares change soon.

I also PRAY that the people who rebuild after this and who are still rebuilding after Katrina will realize that the efforts they have done are not enough and will build stronger and better protections.

DammitJanet

Im a hurricane watcher. It comes from living in hurricane alley though in the last several years that seems to have moved over to florida and the gulf. I have been eying both Gustav and Hannah closely. Gustav may actually save me. It seems to be keeping Hannah from being able to gather enough strength.

I really do hope those in Gustav's path take heed and do what they need to do. Hurricanes are really not fun things to go through.

donna723

I'm still a hurricane watcher too. I lived in Florida too many years and went through too many hurricanes not to be. My brother and sister in law still live there in Kissimmee near Orlando. They got hit really hard by the storms a few years ago, more from the tornados that went along with the hurricane. They had quite a bit of damage and were without power for a loooong time. And my daughter, sister in law, and all his family live in Charleston. They aren't right on the coast, but still ... They've had some bad tropical storms since my daughter lived there, but no hurricanes.

I hope everyone stays safe and dry!

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
my church still goes down there to help rebuild from Katrina, this is going to be devastating to so many still homeless from 3 years ago!

TerryJ2

Looks like it's really going to hit, but people are listening this time. At least we can be thankful for that.
There are convoys lined up on the perimeter to help the instant the storm lets up. And the evacuations seem to be going well (except for pets :( ).
Scary stuff. I have to stop thinking about it.
Except that we get hurricanes in VA so I do pay attention and plan, and think about changes we could make in our plans ...

DammitJanet

Terry...yes you get hurricanes in VA but they are not normally anywhere near as bad. I have lived on the east coast my entire life. I grew up in Richmond VA. The major problem was flooding when the storms came up the rivers if you lived in very low lying areas. Plus we only had this happen maybe 3 times in the entire time I lived there from ages birth to 20. Now granted...a hurricane did hit my dads house a couple of years ago in Richmond...or maybe it was a tornado spawned off a hurricane.

I saw something on the Weather Channel last night about the most likely places to get hit by hurricanes. The Florida Keys were the number one spot, Florida itself was number two, the gulf coast was three, the Outer Banks of NC was 4. I would say from my experience that the inlet bowl that is comprised of the area from Charleston SC to Wilmington NC would have to come in there awfully close. We have had quite a few hurricane since I moved in this area in 1983. However, I have never lost anything in a hurricane. For quite a few years both my mom and I lived right in Myrtle Beach not a mile off the water.

I actually worry more now about the hurricanes because I am inland and the problems somehow seem worse here. Dont know why that is. Maybe its the ground.