husband bought a HUGE eggplant. Yikes, we are so full we hurt!

DDD

I've never seen such a huge eggplant. Today I fixed it a different way and it was delicious. Cheap, too.
If any of you are "into" eggplant and want a new recipe let me know. It was delicious. DDD

klmno

I only eat it fried or in moussaka (sp)....but post your recipe just in case I get a wild feeling...LOL!

DDD

I don't have many recipes so maybe this is run of the mill...but it tasted great and looked lovely on the plate, lol.

Preheat oven to 350.
Wash eggplant, slice in 1/2" slices, put in colander over bowl and salt all sides. Let sit for 30 to 60 minutes.
Dice a large onion, saute in a skillet using olive oil & a little chicken broth. Add diced garlic & set aside when tender.
Slice fresh tomato or tomatoes depending on how many stacks you're going to make.

In one bowl beat two eggs. In the second bowl put Italian Bread Crumbs (can be mixed with Panko).
Thoroughly rinse each eggplant slice to wash off sale. Dry on paper towels.
Dip each slice in egg, then dry mix, placing individually on double fold heavy duty foil with light Pam spray on foil.
Bake 14 minutes on one side, flip and let bake 14 minutes on the other. Remove from oven.
Using baking pan or foil make a stack. lst slice, tomato slice, onion/garlic mix, mozzarella slice, 2nd slice topper.
Sprinkle grated Parm on top and then top with either Provolone slice or mozzareela slice.
Bake stacks for 30 minutes.

I fixed spagetti and had leftover tomato/basil sauce that I used. Made a thin bed of spagetti, placed the cooked stack in the middle and ladeled the tomato/basil sauce over the top. Served garlic toast on the side. Yumm! DDD

muttmeister

Sounds great; I'll try it.

For those of you who like eggplant, I make one kinda like this but when baking the eggplant, instead of dipping it in egg first, you dip it in low fat Italian dressing. Then the crumbs - then bake. Gives it some extra flavor.

DDD

In my family we all lovingly laughed because my Mom almost always commented on how colorful or pretty her meals looked on the plate. She would say things like "doesn't the bright yellow squash look nice next to the fresh bright green beans" etc. Over the years (and even every few years) we lovingly laugh saying "did you serve a pretty meal?"

This eggplant dinner looked pretty, lol. I made an X with the sauce and wished I had some fresh basil sprigs to go in the center of the stack. It looked "pretty enough for company", lol....and since the eggplant only cost $1.25 it was a low cost meal too. Funny how silly things carry over from your childhood. DDD