husband bought me a bread machine

Abbey

Spork Queen
I've told him for YEARS not to. I will gain 100lbs. But, I'm making my first loaf right now.

Yes, he did get it on his errand at Goodwill. Looks like it's never been used.

Abbey

B

butterflydreams

Mmmmm. I love homemade bread. I used to have a bread machine and made bread all of the time.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I keep saying I'm gonna drag mine out and start using it again.... but then something happens do distract me (like life!) and I never get to it.

Lothlorien

Let me get this straight....it was HIS birthday yesterday, but he got YOU a bread machine? Is it that 60's olive green color to go with the retro-deco house?

Abbey

Spork Queen
No, actually LOTH it's white. (Thank you...taking a bow.) I'm going to go check on it right now...hold on...

Well, there appears to be a loaf like substance in there about half way done. I hope I'm not baking a brick. That could get ugly to eat and clean.

Abbey

Lothlorien

In-laws are having dinner tonight at their house. You gave me the fantastic idea of bringing some homemade bread. I just got it going and it's whirring right now.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I've got 26 minutes to go. It LOOKS like bread, smells like bread, but it's still not brown. COME ON! COME ON!! YOU CAN DO IT!!

Abbey

F

flutterbee

How far is Oshkosh from Columbus, Ohio? I can be there in half the time.

OMG. I love bread.

I don't have a bread machine, but I believe my mom does and she hasn't used it in a very long time. I'll have to see if she wants to hold onto it or if she's ready to pass it down. :D

4sumrzn

How cool! I went on a "bread makin' mission" after I got mine quite a few years back......made all different kinds. Be careful......make sure to give away leftovers especially if you are going to bake away! I found myself not wanting to "waste" & started to "pass the bread in the kitchen, must nibble on it"! Turned out to not be figure friendly......sure was YUMMY though! Enjoy your first loaf!

witzend

I like to make my dough in the bread machine then bake it in the oven. Yum! Mine's been sitting on my garage shelf for years. It's not so much the bread that makes me gain the weight, but the butter!

Star*

call 911........call 911
So now you are working and bringing home the dough
And expected to stay HOME and bring in the dough?

That's a lot of dough on your part.......

What's he baking?

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
I will have to dig out my recipe for "Chunky Monkey Bread"
it has wheat flour, honey, bannanas and chunky peanut butter in it, oh and choc, chips! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

KTMom91

After someone's recent post on bread, I made Hubby get mine out. Yum...I'll make another loaf this weekend.

My mother in law says she wants to give hers away...any takers? If so, I'll call her and see if she's serious.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
AOG -- I don't know about those chunks, but I LOOOOOOOVE Monkey Bread! Unfortunately, it loves me, too :D Now I got a monkey on each thigh and one wrapped around my waist! Not to mention the two hanging off my chest...

Someday, I'll get these monkey's off my back.

Marguerite

Our bread machine sits out on the bench. I don't make as much bread these days since I don't eat it at all at the moment, but when I had more kids at home I was baking an average of a loaf a day (or equivalent).

Pizza bases - I used my pasta machine to roll out the dough nice and flat. It's good to give the kids their own pizza base to add stuff to themselves. Great for a sleepover party.

Another recipe option - I used the pasta machine again to roll the dough out, but into a long strip. I put grated cheese and chopped olives (you could do cheese and ham instead) and rolled it up longways then cut the long snake into short pieces, like a tray full of mini savoury chelsea buns. You can spread the bread with tomato paste then add chopped salami and grated cheese for pizza scrolls.
Or you can do sweet versions - spread with choc hazelnut spread, sprinkle on chopped nuts and choc bits then when baked, drizzle on some choc icing. I bake those all pushed close together on a flat tray, to make one large circle of small rolls which pull apart.

I've also made a brioche dough which you can then pull out and bake separately in the oven (like Witz does) either in a ring pan (I use silicone bakeware) or rolled and layered with butter to make croissants. The brioche - I glaze it with beaten egg then when it's done I unmould it, turn it over, glaze it with egg again and continue baking until it's golden and glossy on both sides.
Served warm (you can bake ahead, freeze it then get it out and thaw in the microwave for unexpected visitors). I find one batch of brioche dough makes two fluted ring loaves. We serve it with a bowl of whipped cream and some home-made strawberry jam. You slice small pieces (along the fluting from the mould) and spread them with jam and cream, like scones. mother in law has relatives that occasionally drop in and we could give them brioche every time. They will eat anything she serves them and in the past she's often run out of food and spent a lot of money to keep them fed. Now one brioche to finish off a sensible lunch, and they enjoy it AND are satisfied. If they've brought friends with them - then we simply serve them the second brioche as well instead of freezing it.
The brioche is a slightly different recipe - it has butter and eggs in it, as well as more sugar. It tastes almost like cake.

One thing husband & I found - the kneading flap doesn't always lie down when it should because it gets stiff. The trick is, you put a drop of cooking oil on the hinge and work it back and forth. It will soon be lubricated enough to lie down.

It also wears out sometimes, and the gasket can get old and perished especially if you leave the bread tin to soak regularly. So first, we don't soak the tin (inside only) for more than a couple of minutes. Second, we rang the company and asked for the supplier of the gasket and kneading flap thingie as parts. It was cheaper than replacing the whole tin.

Baking your own bread does need a bit of planning ahead, but it is worth the trouble. It can save a lot of money, even if you use a gourmet bread mix.

We slice the loaf and leave it in a plastic bag in the freezer. When we're down to a few slices I bake the next loaf. You need to allow the time it will take to bake, as well as the time it will take to be firm enough to slice without mangling it.

Marg