husband did it again...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I am so mad I just can't even think straight. :mad:

husband went out yesterday to get a birthday gift for easy child. He got her a boom-box that plays CDs and can also be used with an MP3 player. I thought that was a great gift! Well, evidently that's not all he bought.

He also bought her a 26" LCD TV. For her room. She's 10. I can't flippin' believe it.

Did I mention he has a problem with impulse control? :ashamed:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Make HIM return it anyway? Can't he give her something else, like season passes to a local amusement park or something. Jeez, what a doofus. Sorry, if that were me and mine, I'd haul that thing outta there right now. Ten years old...tv in room...26"LCD tv...what???

DammitJanet

Omgosh. What a doofus. The boom box was a great gift but now, I can see why you cant be the bad guy and take the tv out. Sigh. But how is he gonna make this right with her older brothers? Do they have nice LCD tv's in their rooms? I can see trouble on the horizon.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I can totally understand why you are so upset. I know it would be hard to return it though when husband already gave it to her. Don't know what I would do.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Ugh. I would be so mad.
I can't believe you are still, well I could write so many things... let's just say you are a very wonderful woman and he is very, very lucky.

I have no idea what I would do, beside cry and wanna hurt him!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OH! I'd be livid.

I'm also mean enough to make him remove it from her room, return it, and buy her a more appropriate gift. And also explain to her why he was doing it.

Of course I'm also mean enough that my kids weren't even allowed to own a boombox until the age of 14. lol And never were allowed tv's in their rooms.

Sigh. Men! hmph

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Janet, there was definitely some hard feelings in the difficult child's today when they saw what she got. I really feel like that was thoughtless thing for husband to buy. And he thinks I'm the bad guy for not being at all supportive of his decision.

Yes, all three kids now have TVs in their rooms, much to my chagrin. I've been against it from day 1.

difficult child 1 has a huge TV that a friend of husband's gave to us when he moved out of state. We can barely lift it. It's got a bad spot on the screen where the color is wonky -- but hey, it was free. His room has cable because it used to be my office, and then it was a guest room. difficult child 2 has the 19" TV my parents bought for me when I moved out on my own, but he has no cable in his room so he never uses it except on rare occasion to play Gamecube. And easy child had a small portable TV in her room, which has cable because once-upon-a-time it was a guest room.

husband is just so out of touch with reality sometimes, I am amazed that he's made it this far in life. Maybe he's just been very lucky. Well, his luck is starting to wear thin as are our finances and my patience. Friggin' bonehead...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I can totally sympathize here.

I get to avoid this only because husband and I agreed a while back that when the kids can afford to buy their own TV is when they get one in their room. They have them at BM's. Or they did, who knows now!

But we have 3 TVs anyway and I never watch. So that's one each in a common area!

crazymama30

husband came home one day, and he had bought a used van. We needed a different vehicle, but that was not a decision he got to make on his own. I told him to take it back, I was going to go to the bank and put a stop payment on the check (yes, he wrote a check, woulda been rubber check to used car lot). He took it back. Thankfully the kids were babies so I did not have to deal with kid outrage and crazy hubby outrage.

Hugs. I hate lack of impulse control

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well I'm just thankful they don't put Ferari's on the end caps at the registers at the stores.....all impules buyers would be driving sporty cars.

PASSING YOU THE WEAREVER SKILLET and sword.....once again.

DammitJanet

She already had a tv? OMG! With cable? Is the man crazy? Dont you need a 26 in LCD TV in your room more than a 10 year old? LOL. I mean really. Unless you already have one...lol. That is really a pretty big flat screen for a bedroom. Ok..lets think positive, she can use it for her computer that we dont want her to have in her bedroom...lol. bad Janet bad Janet.

You do know it can be used as a monitor right? Maybe tell princess that she can put her old tv back in her room and the big tv is gonna get hooked up to the main computer so everyone has a nice new BIG monitor!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yeah, Wearever skillet, sword, sledge hammer, whatever. I think the man's hit his head too many times when he was a wrestler...

Janet, yes, we already have a ginormous plasma in the livingroom (thanks to another impulse buy last summer -- he bought TWO... one for the LR and one for our BR -- and we're STILL paying for them, albeit interest-free for one more year).

He seriously needs his medications tweaked...

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well - don't tweak those medications until AFTER Mothers Day.......you could be pigeon-holing yourself out of some fine guilt jewelery.

YOU GOT HER A TV and I got a card?????? Evil has it's purpose.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
....you could be pigeon-holing yourself out of some fine guilt jewelery.

Funny you should mention that... he was making noises about going to his usual jewelry store for a Mother's Day gift for me. I already told him DON'T -- we can't afford it! Besides, I've had plenty of hypomania-induced gifts from him, and while they are all very lovely, they were received with a lot of trepidation knowing that we still had to PAY for them! :sick: